• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Betting 2015/16 1% per day challenge

Prefix for Betting Threads
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder is it useful to think of it that you have 100 units and you're trying to turn it into 107 in a week(ignoring the compounding for now). The units were worth 1 euro when you started, but they just happen to be worth 6 quid now.

It should be easy to turn 100 units into 107 in a week, you've done in loads of times before...
It's a weird one Gerry because the amounts of money going up shouldn't faze me as I've done many bigger bets over the years but I think it's because I'm actually enjoying this challenge and my determination to complete is it putting more pressure on...........so it's more the fact that I'm at week 26 of 40 rather than the £600 (I think).

It's a weird one Gerry because the amounts of money going up shouldn't faze me as I've done many bigger bets over the years but I think it's because I'm actually enjoying this challenge and my determination to complete is it putting more pressure on...........so it's more the fact that I'm at week 26 of 40 rather than the £600 (I think).

Yeah, I can get that, you're in this far and you don't want to mess up and have to start again next year. I reckon this is the best I've seen you do on this(or possibly anyone), so it's risk free at this stage really, every week extra is a bonus. My guess is that you're not in this particular challenge for the money, more to see how far you can go...

Yeah, I can get that, you're in this far and you don't want to mess up and have to start again next year. I reckon this is the best I've seen you do on this(or possibly anyone), so it's risk free at this stage really, every week extra is a bonus. My guess is that you're not in this particular challenge for the money, more to see how far you can go...
Yeah it's the furthest I've got with this type of challenge and (luckily I don't believe in jinxes) so far without too many scares. As I mentioned before, it's also helped with my regular betting as I've become more selective and bet on fewer games now which has improved my profitability. The funny thing is that after a weekend in which I've won say £200 on my regular betting and increased my bank by £50 on this challenge I'm more chuffed about the £50!

As I've mentioned previously, the easy option now is just to put the full bank on Barca to win the CL @ 9/4 which would win me the challenge but it is not really in the spirit of the challenge so will keep nibbling away at target and hopefully will avoid any major pitfalls over the next 14 weeks.

£540 Barca (with a +2 handicap) to win at Arsenal......to win £43
£38 Lay of Arsenal keeping a clean sheet.....to win £6

Amazed at that score last night (Hibs 0-3 Morton). Hibs have been very impressive this season and were at full strength against a Morton team whose fans didn't give them any chance of a victory last night! Ah well it's just a reminder how difficult this is gonna be to get to the magical £1,600.

End of week 26 and the profit for the week was £27.........leaving the bank on £597 against a target of £600.

The target for week 27 is £643

£43 Norwich not to keep a clean sheet at Leicester.....to win £6
£40 MK Dons NOT to win and keep a clean sheet at Blackburn.....to win £4
£20 Huddersfield NOT to win and keep a clean sheet v Ipswich....to win £6

Last edited:
£40 lay of Norwich keeping a clean sheet v Chelsea.........to win £7
£72 Lay of 0-0 full time score Blackburn v Boro.....to win £10
£63 Lay of Crewe keeping a clean sheet v Southend.......to win £10

Last edited:
£11 lay of Spurs winning at West Ham to win £9
£46 lay of 0-0 full time score Utd v Watford....to win £4

End of week 27 and profit for the week is +£74 leaving the bank balance at £671 against a target of £643.

The target for week 28 is £690

£51 lay of Birmigham beating Hull City.....to win £15
£50 Barca to beat Vallecano to win £10

Last edited:
Tricky weekend as we have family over from Czech. I'm actually having to take my Wife's uncle to see City v Villa so will miss all the 3pm kick offs. As I won't be able to see the team line-ups i won't be in a position to place bets.

There is one bet however that IMO stands out and it's the Scottish Cup Quarter Final between Rangers and Dundee. I backed against Rangers in both games in the last round against Kilmarnock and although Rangers eventually won with a late goal i made a very nice profit as I had traded the price long before Rangers last minute winner.

The difference this time is I won't be in a position to trade but I'm not that bothered. Dundee are a better team than Kilmarnock and will cause Rangers even more trouble.

Dundee rested 3 players in their midweek draw at Celtic (including Hemmings whose their best player and top goalscorer).

If Rangers were in the SPL they'd be in a similar position to Dundee so the 4/1 - 9/2 available on Dundee is an excellent price.

For this 1% challenge by bets on this game are..............

£10 Dundee to win....................to win £43
£30 Lay of Rangers winning........to win £40
£6 Rangers (with a +1 handicap) NOT to win..............to win £25

Boro 1-0 Wolves after 30 minutes........£50 Boro to win.............to win £9

How much are your winnings now Pesam?
Arf, dunno DHSC I've been too busy all weekend. I've just layed the LFC win (1-0 down and down to 10 men)........£625.....to win £25. I'll work out how much I had left in my bank later and work out my exact bet.

Most years, 1% a month would be considered good for a hedge fund. To have consistently made 1% a day for this long is pretty impressive.

Can't blame you for the bet though, seemed a fairly safe bet.
Aye it seemed a "no-brainer" especially as; we were playing our bogey team, we were down to 10 men and losing AND I was watching it with a Czech Uncle who has jinxed LFC everytime I've watched one of our games with him (in 6 or 7 games I have never seen us win when watching with him).

Most years, 1% a month would be considered good for a hedge fund. To have consistently made 1% a day for this long is pretty impressive.
Cheers Dantes, as Stevie G would say....."we go again". I'd like to think that if I hadn't been distracted this weekend by our Czech visitors I would have had more betting opportunities earlier in the weekend and wouldn't have felt under pressure to place that last bet but then again maybe I'd still have done the bet because things were looking bad for LFC at that juncture.

I think the point I overlooked was that Palace are our jinx team and the Czech Uncle jinxes LFC every time I watch him; I overlooked the simple fact that the 2 jinxes cancelled each other out!

That was the 2015-16 challenge so now I'll start the 2016-17 challenge which will start now and take a break for the summer months.

Oh and the Palace v LFC bet aside, I got the Rangers v Dundee prediction so horribly wrong that the writing was on the wall anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom