• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

7 and below: what players have impressed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing about Grealish that separates him from the likes of Maddison, and, come to think of it, Ox as well, is that he is equally (if not more) effective on the wing. Whereas with Maddison, you have to commit to playing a system with a #10, which is somewhat archaic these days.

There are questions about his defensive work-rate and contribution (tackles ≠ defense), which kind of rules him out of Klopp's thinking IMO. Just like he is not likely to go for someone like Isco or Ozil no matter how many chances they create, he wouldn't be interested in Buendia for the same reasons.

From Guardian's weekend preview:
They [Watford] could be boosted here by the return of record signing, Ismaila Sarr, who has been restricted to 11 starts this season. Watford have won four of those, and look a side transformed when they can benefit from the Senegalese forward’s pace and directness on the right. The front three of Sarr, Gerard Deulofeu on the left and Troy Deeney in the middle looks capable of saving the club from relegation should they stay fit, but without any one of that trio the team looks immeasurably poorer. If Watford’s results in those 11 games were extrapolated over a full 38-game season, they would end up with 52 points; if their results in 15 matches without him in the starting lineup were mirrored across a season they would finish with 23.

It sounds like Watford's "shy boy, very shy boy" is capable of the same effect as Mane was having on us early on in his career – I did a comparison in 2017 showing that Sadio was by far the most influential in terms of our results out of that season's front 3. So why not buy a Sadio clone if we can? Hope his agent inserted a relegation clause.

There are questions about his defensive work-rate and contribution (tackles ≠ defense), which kind of rules him out of Klopp's thinking IMO. Just like he is not likely to go for someone like Isco or Ozil no matter how many chances they create, he wouldn't be interested in Buendia for the same reasons.

So.... tippy-tappy skills, a bit lazy and not interested in tackling.

Ready made for Arsenal.

It sounds like Watford's "shy boy, very shy boy" is capable of the same effect as Mane was having on us early on in his career – I did a comparison in 2017 showing that Sadio was by far the most influential in terms of our results out of that season's front 3. So why not buy a Sadio clone if we can? Hope his agent inserted a relegation clause.

Yeah - I think he’d be a good shout if Watford get relegated.

Was their not some chatter about Jamal Lewis from Norwich - might be a good option for LB cover.

Another thing about Grealish that separates him from the likes of Maddison, and, come to think of it, Ox as well, is that he is equally (if not more) effective on the wing. Whereas with Maddison, you have to commit to playing a system with a #10, which is somewhat archaic these days.
I agree I like Maddison but he reminds me of a more physical version of Ozil and Coutinho. Physically he'll put in more of a shift than those two but still if things aren't going well for the team then you feel like you're playing with ten men.

Couts was always one of the first to be sacrificed whenever things weren't going well for Brendan and Klopp. Infact I remember Coutinho getting subbed for Woodburn twice!

I think we'll stay away from signing African players if we can, especially for the attacking positions.

[article]Liverpool legend Steve McManaman is urging manager Jurgen Klopp to move for Arsenal attacker Bukayo Saka.

He wrote in his HorseRacing.net column: “He looks like a really good player, but he's incredibly young.

“If there are contract issues and he ever becomes available on a free transfer then that's a no brainer because you're taking someone on a free contract who's young and has a lot of potential.

“If he does join Liverpool then he's got a long wait and Liverpool already have a couple of young left-backs waiting in the wings who we've seen in the FA Cup this year, who would probably be on a par with Bukayo Saka at this moment in time.

“It all depends on numerous things such as economics and whether it's a deal that Liverpool thinks is worth doing.

“They may think that it's a deal not necessarily in need, but they may do it anyway."[/article]

Last edited:

[article]Liverpool legend Steve McManaman is urging manager Jurgen Klopp to move for Arsenal attacker Bukayo Saka.

He wrote in his HorseRacing.net column: “He looks like a really good player, but he's incredibly young.

“If there are contract issues and he ever becomes available on a free transfer then that's a no brainer because you're taking someone on a free contract who's young and has a lot of potential.

“If he does join Liverpool then he's got a long wait and Liverpool already have a couple of young left-backs waiting in the wings who we've seen in the FA Cup this year, who would probably be on a par with Bukayo Saka at this moment in time.

“It all depends on numerous things such as economics and whether it's a deal that Liverpool thinks is worth doing.

“They may think that it's a deal not necessarily in need, but they may do it anyway."[/article]

He looks like a left-sided Trent. Could probably do a job as an attacking winger as well.

He looks like a left-sided Trent. Could probably do a job as an attacking winger as well.

Yeah, think that's his 'original' position. Ideally, Tierney, who cost them £25m will take the position at LB and allow Saka to play further upfront?
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...senal-reluctant-big-impression-left-wing-back
[article]When the time comes for Freddie Ljungberg to cast around for management roles, there is one piece of foresight he might want to drop into any job interviews. On a freezing December night in Liège, midway through his stint as Arsenal’s interim head coach, he opted to solve a personnel shortage by selecting Bukayo Saka, a gifted but seemingly raw wide forward, at left wing-back. Saka excelled in a dour performance that picked up when he delivered brilliantly for Alexandre Lacazette to score. Moments later the 18-year-old curled a marvellous equaliser and, at the time, such pearls of quality felt as much a rebuke to his manager as proof he had adapted seamlessly.

“He was a bit upset with me because he had to play wing-back and full-back, and he doesn’t like it so much,” Ljungberg said, not that he looked remotely repentant. “But he’s a tremendous talent. His final ball is always effective and there’s always an end product to his work.”[/article]

i thought he was a winger, just playing LB to get a few games and help out.

But maybe they've looked at TAA and thought "we want some of that", which will doubtless mean dozens of midfielders and wingers being asked to try it out now.

https://statsbomb.com/2020/02/how-will-liverpool-ever-eventually-replace-roberto-firmino/

Emiliano-Buend%C3%ADa-Premier-League-2019_2020.png

Creativity stats are where Buendía shines most. His xG assisted per 90 is the third-best in the Premier League this season and the best for those born in 1996 or later — which is no mean feat given he’s playing for the league’s bottom side. Across Europe’s top five leagues, he’s 7th for those born in 1996 or later.

The impressive xG assisted doesn’t come in isolation. In the same age group, Buendía is second in the Premier League for both passes into the penalty area per 90 and through balls per 90. These numbers seem perfect for a player who will drop deep when the likes of Salah and Mané are running ahead of him.

The Norwich man is even a high volume dribbler. He completes 4.1 dribbles per 90 with a success rate of 73.9%. For reference, constant dribbling outlier Adama Traoré completes 5.2 per 90 with a 74.7% success rate.

His off the ball numbers are encouraging but come with a few caveats. He’s active, but mostly from a deeper right position. He makes more pressures and pressure regains than Firmino, but plays for a less dominant side and in a deeper role.

Emiliano-Buend%C3%ADa_Pressures_Premier-League_2019_2020-1.png

His defensive activity reveals several positives, however. He makes a similar number of counter pressures as Firmino, suggesting his pressures don’t just come from situations where Norwich have dropped back, and he makes more possession-adjusted tackles and interceptions than the Brazilian. His work ethic off the ball is there, it might just take some tweaking to utilise it in a different area of the pitch.

Buendía definitely passes the eye test too. He’s not only aesthetically pleasing, but it’s easy to imagine sequences like this one if he steps into the Firmino role. He drops into a pocket of space, shows some nice footwork and plays someone in behind.
giphy.gif

The same can be said about his pass against Aston Villa, where he plays Teemu Pukki in on goal rather than making the easy pass out wide.
1_giphy.gif

Then, while Nicolás Otamendi didn’t do much to help himself, what feels more Firmino than winning the ball back high up, going through on goal, only to be unselfish and find his teammate in a better position?
2_giphy.gif

The biggest question mark over Buendía is his goalscoring — the area of Firmino’s game that’s been criticized the most during his time at Liverpool. Firmino currently has a non-penalty xG of 0.45 per 90, his highest value across the last three seasons. Buendía’s 0.09 per 90 just doesn’t come close.

There’s a possibility that getting into better goal scoring positions is something that could be coached into his game, while playing for a more dominant side may also see his numbers increase. Scoring is just not his job in this Norwich side; with Pukki ahead of him, his main priority is to supply his teammate rather than find goal-scoring positions himself. On the other hand, this could just be a weakness in his game.
3_giphy.gif

Buendía would likely make a good signing for Liverpool, though he’d probably be better received first as a rotation option for the front three than an outright replacement for Firmino. He looks to have the attributes to play the role, given his creativity, ability to find pockets of space and hard work when out of possession, but there are question marks over his goalscoring and whether he would adapt to the new role.

Weirdly, I actually have seen Buendia play a few times, and there was one game in which I thought he was outstanding, but he always seemed to be playing a sort of inside right role that felt like a creative midfielder type, rather than a Firmino replacement.

Does it just happen to be that when I’ve seen them he’s been a sub?

Was wondering whether the manager views him as a luxury player.

Does it just happen to be that when I’ve seen them he’s been a sub?

Was wondering whether the manager views him as a luxury player.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...elder-must-accept-hard-love-says-daniel-farke

[article]Asked why Norwich's star player Emiliano Buendia had been on bench for the games against Newcastle and Liverpool, Farke offered some words of praise. "No one in this room is a bigger fan of Emi than me," he insisted. Then came a reminder that he watches his players every day and the claim that Buendia "is not 100 per cent prepared" after a thigh injury.

"Listen, we have had the 26th game-day and he is there with no goals, not scored a goal. There are several losses of the ball and also sometimes he lacks the running in behind.

"The most important statistic is the point average in the starting line-up. He has fantastic statistics but his points average in the starting line-up, no other winger has worse."

That last point is a particularly curious one. Given his impressive individual performances this season, many would have assumed that Buendia would be among the first names on the team-sheet. This suggests that Farke sees things a little differently.

Buendia might point to the fact that Norwich had a win percentage of 71 per cent with him in the team last season compared to just 18 per cent when he was not there.

He could also argue that following the 3-0 reverse at Molineux, Norwich are averaging 0.71 points per game when he doesn't start compared to 0.65 points per game when he does.

The sample size here is tiny - Norwich have won only one game without him, after all. Even in that victory, away to Everton, it was his driving run that led to the second goal.

Hardly damning evidence that he is hampering his team.

But that is not really the issue. Points per game feels like an alarmingly simplistic way of analysing Buendia's contribution to this Norwich team. What about the matches that the team would have won had others finished the chances that he has created?

Buendia would be entitled to feel aggrieved to have some of these defeats attributed to him, even indirectly. Nobody has done more than him to make good things happen.

Memorably, he set up two goals in the win over Manchester City in September. There have been seven assists in total. Unfortunately, the other five did not come in winning efforts.

Consider the draw at home to Crystal Palace on New Year's Day when he was once again the best player on the pitch, completing more dribbles than Wilfried Zaha and providing more than twice as many chances for his team-mates as any other player on the pitch.

Norwich had to settle for a point that day.

Buendia was arguably even better in the home game against Wolves just prior to that when he became the only player this season or last to complete nine dribbles and create nine chances in the same game. Too many of those chances were squandered and Norwich lost.

That has been a recurring theme all season.

Buendia's stats stand up even if his team look likely to be going down.

Only Zaha and Adama Traore have completed more dribbles in the Premier League this season. Only Kevin De Bruyne and Trent Alexander-Arnold have created more chances.

Buendia's speciality is the through-ball, the defence-splitting pass to Teemu Pukki that has looked Norwich's best outlet for much of the campaign. No player in the Premier League has completed more of them this season with De Bruyne the only one to come close.

But it is not the volume of them relative to other players in the Premier League that's most relevant here - it is the volume of those passes compared to other Norwich players.

Buendia is the only man in the Premier League who has been responsible for more through-balls than the rest of his squad put together.

It is a similar story with the other metrics too. Traore is the competition's top dribbler but, in terms of the percentage of Wolves' total, his dribbles are no more important to his team than Buendia's are to Norwich.

De Bruyne may have created more chances but his contribution is only 23 per cent of Manchester City's overall tally. Buendia is responsible for 30 per cent of everything Norwich create. No wonder they have not scored in the last three games with him sat on the bench.

So how fair are Farke's comments?

There is no denying the fact that Buendia needs to improve his goal return. For a player in an advanced position, failing to find the net in 26 Premier League appearances is a problem.

skysports-emiliano-buendia_4930541.png

skysports-emiliano-buendia_4930539.png
skysports-emiliano-buendia_4930537.png
[/article]

[article]Abdoulaye Doucoure has been rated as one of the Premier League’s most inspirational midfielders, with Owen Hargreaves explaining why Liverpool should go all out to sign the Frenchman.

While a second-half brace from Ismaila Sarr stole the headlines as Watford ended Liverpool’s unbeaten record in the Premier League, Hargreaves felt it was Doucoure who was the best player on display with a dominant display in the middle of the park.

The 27-year-old joined Watford from Rennes in February 2016, but spent the remainder of the season on loan in Spain with Granada.

Since being at Vicarage Road, however, the midfielder has grown into one of the Premier League’s best, leading to links to both the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea.

However, amid talk he is also being monitored by PSG and Barcelona, Hargreaves insists Doucoure is a player Jurgen Klopp should consider signing after he underlined his class with a marauding display on Saturday evening.

“He’s one of the most influential players in the Premier League who doesn’t play in the big six,” Hargreaves told Premier League productions.

“He’s one of those players who can give a team so much, he used to play a lot deeper but now he’s in the box a lot more.

“He’s got goals, he’s got assists he’s so athletic. He’s got that frame of Paul Pogba, he’s got a good touch and he can finish.

“This guy could play in Liverpool’s midfield that’s how good he is.”
[/article]

From the championship the BMW partnership who play for Waterford.

Also Philips from Leeds would be worth a punt

I'm really liking Newcastle's St Maximum (spelling lol), but I think the problem with buying English based players these days is that you pay a premium. St Maximum looks like the perfect "cut-price" player to have as a competition for player Mane/Salah but I feel because he's playing for an English team I can bet Newcastle will ask 40m+ for him. If Edwards can do his thing then max 30m then that would be somewhat reasonable. Wolves' Traore is another one but I feel Wolves would want 60m+ for Traore.

Also I dread to wonder how much Grealish goes for but look forward to Bournemouth offering twice the expected Grealish fee for our Wilson ;)

We could’ve had Adama Traore for pennies if only lfc staff paid more attention to this forum, it’s a shambles

After is performance against us last weekend Sarr of Watford does impress me. Cantwell & Grealish are good prospect too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom