• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

109 points from last 114 available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Points remaining to win the league 29 from the remaining 16 games to top the max 93 that City can get IF they win all their remaining 15 games. We need 10 wins out of the last 16 remaining games. Go get it.

Points remaining to win the league 29 from the remaining 16 games to top the max 93 that City can get IF they win all their remaining 15 games. We need 10 wins out of the last 16 remaining games. Go get it.
Now now let's not get ahead of ourselves ... 30 points required. ;)

After the Wolves match our next 7-8 weeks looks pretty tame apart from the Champions League games. Time to rest a few and test a few?

Thurs Wolves (A)

Sat 26/1 Shrewsbury (A) - TV
Weds 29/1 West Ham (A) - Game in hand
Sat 1/2 Southampton (H)
Sat 15/2 Norwich (A) - TV
Tues 18/2 A. Madrid (A) - TV
Mon 24/2 West Ham (H)
Sat 29/2 Watford (A) - TV
Sat 7/3 Bournmouth (H)
Weds 11/3 A. Madrid (H) -TV
Sat 14/3 Everton (A)

I just want to say a big thanks to Klopp, the lads and the entire team.

Because of the big lead they’ve carved open, I find that I now breathe more easily, I’m more cheerful as a person, I don’t stress anymore about things and life, sometimes I find myself smelling the roses as I walk past the garden with that Robertson-like grin on me face....ahh life has never been better

And we haven’t even won the league yet (officially). I can’t imagine what would happen when we finally do. I’d probably go full on mental.

Because of the big lead they’ve carved open, I find that I now breathe more easily, I’m more cheerful as a person, I don’t stress anymore about things and life, sometimes I find myself smelling the roses as I walk past the garden with that Robertson-like grin on me face....ahh life has never been better

And we haven’t even won the league yet (officially). I can’t imagine what would happen when we finally do. I’d probably go full on mental.
Yep. Those 'one game at a time' Eeyores are really missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures :D

Largest winning margin in the league was City by 19 points, second was United with 18 points. Breaking that record should be our target.

I'm not at that point yet. I am walking on air for a few days after each win, but then stomach churns again day of game. My "magic" moment will be if we can get 1.5 points per game remaining ahead of City - then I will relax ...maybe. Win our next 4 and that would be the case - 19 with 12 to go. Of course, if City were to draw at Sheffield United tomorrow, I could be relaxing by the end of the month - 21 with 14.

“sometimes I find myself smelling the roses as I walk past the garden with that Robertson-like grin on me face....”
Is that the point where you push the missus into the fence?

Everytime I see you post I wonder whether you will change your username when we sign Timo Warner.

Who's arsed about all that? Been waiting 30 years for us to win the League. Not to break records.
Agree - win the league is the priority. Once that is done we can use the last 2 months of the season to focus on records just to rub their noses in it

Who's arsed about all that? Been waiting 30 years for us to win the League. Not to break records.

Oh, I don't really care if we do it or not, but if that's the target, and we go out to win every game, we'll continue to smash this league.

Probably deserves a thread of its own, but the records thing makes me feel a bit greedy, cos all I've wanted for so long is the league, but now I want it all.

The reason being though, is that this side is simply phenomenonal. Winning the league alone doesn't prove that. Winning it & going unbeaten, beating that points record, or getting a CL double/treble, that pretty much proves it.

I find it difficult to imagine both winning the CL & going unbeaten in the league cos we'd surely start rotating for league games, so the points record plus aiming for the double is realistically the best way of being able to argue this current sides greatness in future years.

I think this article can contribute to the discussion in this thread:

====================
Will Klopp’s team become the GLOAT (Greatest Liverpool Of All Time)?
Since Shankly, via Paisley, Dalglish and Benítez, Liverpool have had several outstanding sides. But how do they measure up?

Jonathan Wilson
Fri 17 Jan 2020

2553.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Bob Paisley, Bill Shankly, Kenny Dalgligh, Rafa Benítez and Jürgen Klopp. Composite: Getty Images, PA

Statistically, this is likely to be Liverpool’s greatest league season, which for a club with 18 championships is no small achievement. The only season that could conceivably beat this one came last year, when they did not win the title – a reminder that statistics must always be considered in context. Greatness lies not only in numbers. And in a world in which Juventus can dispense with their manager after five successive league titles, and Barcelona sack theirs after two straight titles while top of the table, in which 95+ points has come to seem standard for a Premier League champion, it’s as well to be aware that domination of a domestic league does not mean quite the same thing that it did in the past.

This should not be seen as in any sense diminishing what this Liverpool side are doing, particularly given a net spend of only around £70m over the past four years and the fact they have had to overcome a brilliant Manchester City; rather it is to say the financial structures of modern football have inflated the gap between top and bottom, through wage bills even more than transfer spending. Even allowing for changes in the size of the league and the number of points for a win, 95 points is easier to achieve than it would have been in the days of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley or Kenny Dalglish.

All of which is a slightly long-winded way of pointing out that different eras have different tariffs and that greatness comes in many forms. The modern idea of Liverpool was created by Shankly. When he took over the club in 1959, it may only have been 12 years since their previous league title but they had been in the Second Division for five years and had been knocked out of the FA Cup the previous season by non-league Worcester City. He improved Anfield and the training ground, developed a style of play and put together a squad who gained promotion in 1962 and won the title in 1964. It was the following season, though, when Shankly’s first great Liverpool probably reached their peak when they beat Leeds after extra time in the FA Cup final.

The image of Shankly was of a great motivator, someone with the charisma and will to build a club and bring a city (or half of it) with him. But that side were also tactically innovative, playing what was effectively a prototype 4-4-2, although with genuine wingers in Ian Callaghan and Peter Thompson. It was not necessarily a popular way to play, as was made clear by the Mirror’s report on the final, a clash of two sides who had long abandoned the traditional W-M. “More and more clubs,” wrote Ken Jones, “are turning to method and discipline … there was a certain hypnotic element about the whole thing. The fascination lay in trying to assess which side would first break the stalemate.”

1914.jpg

How the teams lined up in their definitive performances. Photograph: Guardian

But that was the direction football was taking. Contemporary reporters may have been appalled by the spectacle but a modern observer would see nothing especially unusual about the game, other than perhaps to note that it feels more similar in style to modern football than to, say, the final of seven years earlier when a Nat Lofthouse-inspired Bolton had beaten Manchester United. Shankly’s first great side broke new ground for the club and they did it in a way that laid down the template for Liverpool for a little over a quarter of a century.

Liverpool always tended to efficiency rather than flamboyance but that did not mean they didn’t have their moments of transcendence. Perhaps the best Shankly performance was the last, when his second great side, who had won the league and Uefa Cup the previous season, outplayed Newcastle in the 1974 FA Cup final. As Borussia Mönchengladbach had found in the Uefa Cup final a year earlier, Liverpool could physically overpower opponents but Newcastle were beaten at Wembley by a team playing extraordinary pass-and-move football.

Shankly’s retirement that summer was at least partially motivated by a sense it couldn’t get any better than that. In 15 years he had built two great sides, the first a remorseless machine that laid the foundations for everything that followed, the second a more flexible unit ready for the European domination subsequently enjoyed under Paisley, who had probably been leading most of the tactical development behind the scenes anyway.

It’s a mark of how sustained the success was during Paisley’s time in charge – six league titles, three European Cups and a Uefa Cup in nine seasons – that isolating his greatest team is so difficult. The greatest season, though, was probably 1978-79, when Liverpool won 30 of 42 league games and conceded only 16 goals. That was Paisley’s side pressing on the back of a well-drilled offside trap and, every now and again, dismantling opponents. They scored four on four occasions and put five past Derby, six past Norwich and, perhaps most memorably of all, seven past Tottenham, overwhelming them physically and tactically, and slicing them apart with the precision of their passing. That 1978-79 side also averaged more than two goals a game, their total of 85 eight more than any other side managed in a season that decade.

4343.jpg

Graeme Souness, here challenging West Brom’s Cyrille Regis in February 1979, was a driving force under Bob Paisley. Photograph: Colorsport/REX/Shutterstock

That was a team who featured the organisation of the back four, the creativity of Kenny Dalglish, the wing play of Ray Kennedy, the drive of Jimmy Case, Graeme Souness and Terry McDermott and the intelligence of Steve Heighway but their greatness lies in being the apogee at the centre of a protracted period of success and so lacks the romance either of Shankly’s pioneering first great side or even his second when, having let the first team grow old together, he defied doubts to build another one.

From that second great Shankly side until 1990, Liverpool’s dominance was barely challenged, reaching another peak in 1987-88 with Dalglish’s more attacking team, built around the creativity of three signings – John Barnes, Peter Beardsley and Ray Houghton. That side produced their signature performance with the 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest, a game that, in hindsight, bears an end-of-era feel. Dalglish had moved Liverpool away from their method – perhaps a necessary step as the game changed – and for 30 years they were never quite so good again.

The Rafael Benítez years produced arguably the most memorable occasion in Liverpool’s history but the beauty of the 2005 Champions League final, even leaving aside the comeback, was that it was so unexpected. It was the greatness of the underdog rather than of a team who could claim to be one of the greatest of all time. Which was only reasonable given the financial constraints under which Benítez was operating.

2803.jpg

Liverpool players react to winning the 2005 Champions League final on penalties. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

So to Klopp. Although Liverpool had not won the title in 25 years when he was appointed, he was taking over a side firmly entrenched in the upper reaches of the Premier League. There was no need to contrive a way of watering the grass at Anfield as Shankly had; the foundations may have been well hidden but they were there. But that perhaps is more significant when assessing the greatness of the job Klopp has done rather than of the side he has produced.

And this is a very great side, one that essentially updates the principles of Paisley’s best team, pressing opponents and then cutting them apart with rapid passing moves. This side are less inclined to kill games but that is the nature of modern football; law changes and the increasing financial disparity between the elite and the rest have made the superclubs more attacking, particularly at full-back.

Having conceded 14 goals this season, Liverpool will almost certainly not match the defensive record of 1978-79, despite their run of six straight clean sheets, but they will probably score more goals; their goal difference with 17 games remaining is +36, so the +69 of Paisley’s team is within reach. Since last March, the present team have been relentless, a winning machine, but Paisley’s side had longevity, sustained success at home and abroad, which may yet come for Klopp.

But as to who would win a one-off game, making all requisite adjustments for fitness, nutrition and changes in the laws? Well, you’d want to watch it.

Last edited:
on talksport last night there was debate on whether Liverpool fans would prefer to go unbeaten or win the champions league again. Loads called in (or put through?) saying they would prefer the unbeaten record than big ears.

They had Steve nicol on saying he would prefer to be unbeaten than to win a treble

Probably deserves a thread of its own, but the records thing makes me feel a bit greedy, cos all I've wanted for so long is the league, but now I want it all.

The reason being though, is that this side is simply phenomenonal. Winning the league alone doesn't prove that. Winning it & going unbeaten, beating that points record, or getting a CL double/treble, that pretty much proves it.

I find it difficult to imagine both winning the CL & going unbeaten in the league cos we'd surely start rotating for league games, so the points record plus aiming for the double is realistically the best way of being able to argue this current sides greatness in future years.

Probably for the same reason, it'll be a clear sign how dominant this side is.

However the money the CL brings in, plus the esteem & global appeal, plus this sides will to win over & over, means I think the CL games will get priority over the league if this points lead of ours stays in tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom