• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A different perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddapie

After spending much of the past two weeks wanting to murder strangers due to events of random football pitches several thousand miles away, I'm trying a new approach - It doesn't work 100% of the time, but I'm trying...

Wasn't something like this inevitable this season..? We've been almost flawless (when it mattered) for two entire seasons now, and I always feared that we'd struggle to maintain that level of excellence for a third straight campaign.

Even without the injuries (that have ravaged both our defense AND subsequently our midfield, decimated our normal game plan and drastically changed how we play the game, everywhere on the pitch - they cannot be underestimated), it was likely that a combination of sheer fatigue, both physical and mental, after 2 solid years barely pausing as we hunted down first the European Cup and then the League title, and then the additional challenges that Covid has wrought upon the league (lack of down-time, no real off season, and now games coming thick and fast, relentlessly), would see our hitherto peerless standards slip a bit... With the injuries, that we're still top of the table speaks largely to our mentality (we're still trying, we're just fucking knackered) and to how much better than everybody else we really are. Without the injuries, even exhausted and lacking our usual sharpness, we'd be pissing this league again.

But, the injuries and everything else did happen and we must deal with it... And add to this, VAR is raping us this season - We could reasonably be 9 points better off were VAR used properly / fairly / consistently in our matches so far this season. So, though I won't be surprised if I'm wrong, and I am confident that if any team can do it, it's us, I do fear that, with all that is conspiring against us now, even we may not have enough to get over the line this year. We'll be there or thereabouts in the end, but losing Virgil and Gomez, and therefore Fabinho and Henderson from their natural positions, AND not having Thiago for so long to start the season may prove a bridge too far, even for us.

And if that happens, it won't be because the hunger is gone, or the players don't care anymore... It'll be because several ridiculous, unprecedented and wholly unforeseeable circumstances combined to royally fuck us this season. That's all. No other team could even almost compete, having lost who we've lost this year... Take just ONE crucial player from the starting line ups of any of the next best three or four teams, and they'd all be mid-table, hoping for UEFA Cup competition next year. And we're without FOUR of our best in their starting positions.

So, I'm hoping for the best whilst somewhat expecting the worst... But I'll tell yiz this - I am 100% confident that (assuming we get everybody back for next season), we will fucking destroy everybody again next year. These lads will be angry starting next year, and eager to show what this year should have been.

We're gonna win EVERYTHING next season.

If there is a next season.

Good post - logically sound. However - concerns for next season are - African Nations Cup. Potential to still be tired from this season. Turnover of players - and new players to get used to our system.
Really - we cannot compete financially with City and United. City also have shown that money covers corruption as well. It may be that we have had our best times - but Champions League and first title in 30 years for a team competing under significant handicaps is pretty amazing. The fact that we are hoping for much more is because we have a great manager, a great captain and a team of players who, for the most part, totally get what playing for Liverpool is about.

Several won't be angry next season. They'll be past their best. I doubt they'll have the appetite for yet another season of such intense football. They don't seem to have it this season. Next season will surely be more a case of rebuilding the team.

Is next season Klopp’s last? I’m harbouring a hope that he’ll figure that this season is bollocks and stick around for an extra one to oversee the rebuild. Maybe..... I suppose there is an argument to let Gerrard (most likely) start from scratch but I know who I’d rather be steering the ship through these troubled waters.

Is next season Klopp’s last? I’m harbouring a hope that he’ll figure that this season is bollocks and stick around for an extra one to oversee the rebuild. Maybe..... I suppose there is an argument to let Gerrard (most likely) start from scratch but I know who I’d rather be steering the ship through these troubled waters.
His contract is until 2024

Forget Gerrard. If the Rangers manager wasn't our ex-player there's no way he'd be on the shortlist to replace Klopp. We'll need to be considering managers of the experience and calibre of Naglesmann. But hopefully that's a long way off. The more pressing point is that we need FSG to make the kind of commitment that they made when we got Virge and Alisson. No doubt they'll look to sell to fund it, but the way this season - and squad - is going the rebuilding process looks a lot nearer than it did in the summer.

Forget Gerrard. If the Rangers manager wasn't our ex-player there's no way he'd be on the shortlist to replace Klopp. We'll need to be considering managers of the experience and calibre of Naglesmann. But hopefully that's a long way off. The more pressing point is that we need FSG to make the kind of commitment that they made when we got Virge and Alisson. No doubt they'll look to sell to fund it, but the way this season - and squad - is going the rebuilding process looks a lot nearer than it did in the summer.
Yeah - I’ve weirdly heard about Naglesmann. Some hot shot, blue flame jock? Young dumb and full of cum! Get him in then. I bet he can surf too.

Take just ONE crucial player from the starting line ups of any of the next best three or four teams, and they'd all be mid-table, hoping for UEFA Cup competition next year.

Aguero has played the same number of matches as Virgil this season, Jesus has missed the majority of their games too. I dont expect City will be praying for a UEFA cup spot, in fact they will go ahead of us if they win their matches in hand.

Weve been dealt a shit hand with the injuries to VvD and Gomez, but unfortunately it happens. Southampton were missing 4 or 5 first teamers against us the other night, every team is going to get hit at some point.

Aguero has played the same number of matches as Virgil this season, Jesus has missed the majority of their games too. I dont expect City will be praying for a UEFA cup spot, in fact they will go ahead of us if they win their matches in hand.

Weve been dealt a shit hand with the injuries to VvD and Gomez, but unfortunately it happens. Southampton were missing 4 or 5 first teamers against us the other night, every team is going to get hit at some point.

Fair point - What I meant, but didn't articulate properly is that if you take the right player away from each team (KDB or Laporte, Fernandez, Kane, etc...) they'd struggle far worse than we have, IMO.

Several won't be angry next season. They'll be past their best. I doubt they'll have the appetite for yet another season of such intense football. They don't seem to have it this season. Next season will surely be more a case of rebuilding the team.

Only Milner will be close to past his best next season.

Pretty strong evidence that Firmino has past his best, probably Matip too. Weve no idea how VvD or Gomez is going to look post knee reconstruction. A player being passed their best doesnt mean they are shit and need to be flogged, it just means that theyve peaked and its unrealistic to expect them to replicate performance levels of previous years.

As weve seen with City, it only takes a couple of percent drop in output from a couple of players to make the difference between a team that looks unbeatable to a team that looks vulnerable.

I miss Diogo the most. With everything that's going on, he was the breath of fresh air we needed in our time of woe. And someone who took the pressure off - but at the same time added it - to the front three.

We’re top of the table with no central defence. Sure the run recently has been poor, but the whole defence was based around VVD, and to lose him from the start for the whole season, now along with our only other CBs is bound to make a huge difference. I’m surprised we’re top to be honest.

In your opinion. In my opinion, if you want to maintain the ultra-fast, intense energy attacking Klopp likes, that will be the beginning of the end for several. You don't wait for the drop in effectiveness to be evident, you anticipate the decline and plan for the next team. In my opinion, that will already have started.

Pretty strong evidence that Firmino has past his best, probably Matip too. Weve no idea how VvD or Gomez is going to look post knee reconstruction. A player being passed their best doesnt mean they are shit and need to be flogged, it just means that theyve peaked and its unrealistic to expect them to replicate performance levels of previous years.

As weve seen with City, it only takes a couple of percent drop in output from a couple of players to make the difference between a team that looks unbeatable to a team that looks vulnerable.

At 29, thats a pretty bold statement to suggest that both Firmino and Matip are past it.
I think both our squad and forward line could look a bit different next season, but both the players above will have a role to play.

At 29, thats a pretty bold statement to suggest that both Firmino and Matip are past it.
I think both our squad and forward line could look a bit different next season, but both the players above will have a role to play.

A player being past their best isnt about age, players peak at different times others just accumalte inuries and decline rapidly through no real fault of their own. Fowler was past his best by 24, Vardy was playing conference football at that age. Its about matching or exceeding the standards you've set in the past and from a managers standpoint knowing when that decline has set in is the key.

Firminos goal output
2018 - 15
2019 - 12
2020 - 9
2021 - ?

His output is tapering off, its not a blip. Its not because hes ancient but maybe defenders have worked him out, maybe hes lost a yard of pace, maybe his confidence has gone, maybe he doesnt work as hard. Regardless we can all see it, hes not the same player he was and hes unlikely to get it back.

As for the likes of Matip, Ox and a few others its highly likely cumulative injuries have blunted them to the point that its taken significant time off their careers at the top level.

A player being past their best isnt about age, players peak at different times others just accumalte inuries and decline rapidly through no real fault of their own. Fowler was past his best by 24, Vardy was playing conference football at that age. Its about matching or exceeding the standards you've set in the past and from a managers standpoint knowing when that decline has set in is the key.

Firminos goal output
2018 - 15
2019 - 12
2020 - 9
2021 - ?

His output is tapering off, its not a blip. Its not because hes ancient but maybe defenders have worked him out, maybe hes lost a yard of pace, maybe his confidence has gone, maybe he doesnt work as hard. Regardless we can all see it, hes not the same player he was and hes unlikely to get it back.

As for the likes of Matip, Ox and a few others its highly likely cumulative injuries have blunted them to the point that its taken significant time off their careers at the top level.

You cant soley judge Firmino's output on goals though. Klopp is the biggest testament to that.

You cant soley judge Firmino's output on goals though. Klopp is the biggest testament to that.
This is true. But he was ridiculously high in the shots-on-goal stats in the league last season, so I’m always confused by the catch-all “he’s a different type of #9” statements. Sure he is, but also, he’s not just not scoring because he’s looking to feed others the whole time. He shoots fucking loads, and doesn’t convert very often.

I know this is sacrilege.

Klopp saying something doesnt necessarily make it so. I struggle to see how anybidy could have watched Firmino for the last 3 years and still think hes at his peak now.

If he was playing for another team would we be interested in signing him based on his performances in the last 18 months? I very much doubt it

Klopp saying something doesnt necessarily make it so. I struggle to see how anybidy could have watched Firmino for the last 3 years and still think hes at his peak now.

If he was playing for another team would we be interested in signing him based on his performances in the last 18 months? I very much doubt it
Actually I think loads of supporters from other clubs think Firmino’s a great player, and we as LFC supporters we’re more critical of him.
It’s just unfortunate that all three of our forwards have had a massive dip in form when it comes to XG this season, so his uselessness in front of goal is highlighted even more. I think he’s going to remain very valuable to our style of play for at least another couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom