• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Adam Lewis interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkmacca

6CM Addict
For a young, up-and-coming left-back, Adam Lewis believes he has the perfect role model to learn from.

The 19-year-old Scouser has been given the opportunity to work alongside Andy Robertson up close, having regularly participated in senior training sessions at Melwood this season.

It's an experience Lewis believes to be invaluable, particularly given he rates Liverpool's No.26 as 'argubly the best left-back in the world'.

Ahead of tonight’s Premier League International Cup tie with Swansea City at the Academy - which you can watch live on LFCTV and LFCTV GO from 7pm GMT - we caught up with the England U20 international about his hopes of following good friends Rafael Camacho and Curtis Jones in training more frequently at Melwood.

Read on for Lewis’ thoughts on his progress so far, trying to impress Jürgen Klopp and hopes for the rest of the season…

On the opportunity for young players to get to Melwood if they train hard and impress...
The main example is Rafa [Camacho]. You wouldn’t expect him to get on the bench in a Premier League game because obviously we are chasing the title. But the manager loves young players and you look at it and think there's a chance for me to step up and try and get that chance Rafa has. The same as Curtis too as he is a young kid. I’ve been down to Melwood a bit now and learning off the best players makes you a better player, and you look at those two and think how far they have come since last season. Making an appearance for our first team is a kid's dream.

On being converted from a midfielder to a left-back by Alex Inglethorpe and Neil Critchley…
That’s the game, isn’t it? You look at Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard; Steven made his debut at right-back and he was a midfielder. As long as I’m in that starting XI that’s all that I am bothered about and I'll just give everything I have got. Playing as a left-back now, I’ve learned so much about the different side of the game. When I was a midfielder I was more attacking but I have worked on my defending and going to left-back has helped me so much.

On learning from Andy Robertson at left-back…
0c2f9bfabe8c8b19b1a8c96797935f1f935a125b.jpeg

The biggest example is Robertson. He’s arguably the best left-back in the world right now and I look up to him as my inspiration because obviously I want to do what he is doing. The energy he gives to the team is massive and he is a really big part of our club.

On speaking to Robertson and picking up tips from him at Melwood…
He is always coming over to me and helping me out. I know Trent well and Andy is close to him as well. Andy is a good person to have around because he gives you the advice you need which is great for me playing in the same position as him. I look up to him and think what can I do better because he plays every game for our first team. I think to myself 'what do I need to do to get the chance to do what he is doing for us'? Speaking to him he always helps me and gives me advice for what I need.

On whether he feels closer to being at the level required to play in the first team should the opportunity arise…
When you are down there and training with the likes of Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Virgil van Dijk, they are obviously going to make you a better player. Like I said, Robertson is the perfect example because I go into training at Melwood, not so much copying him but trying to do what he does. I just want to do what he does for the team. I was with the first team on a training camp 12 months ago; now I look at that and see how far I have come from then. I have made myself a better player because I have been down there training with those type of players.

On picking up good habits from the first-team players…
With people like Mona [Nemmer] the nutritionist - and we also have Tom Maynard at the Academy - little things like that from them can make you a better player off the pitch because the things you eat are probably the most important thing to make you last the whole season. You look at Robertson and the way he is up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and he doesn’t even break a sweat! The habits they have, we as young players need to have that as well. They are playing at the best level so Robertson is just the best example for those habits. For me, I feel I need to get stronger and bigger because when I go up to Melwood I don’t want to be the odd one out where I’m struggling and the manager notices that and then he doesn’t trust me to put me in a game. So that’s what I’ve been focusing on during the last 12 months since the training cam - getting stronger and I can feel it in my body. I’ve been working hard.

On finding out he was going to be part of the first-team squad that travelled to Wolves in the FA Cup at the start of the year…
It was a mad one, to be honest. Just being part of the squad was brilliant and I was there training with the squad three days before the game as well. When the manager told me I was going to be travelling to Wolves as part of the first-team squad, I was just amazed to be honest and thought to myself: 'This starts now!' You look at Rafa, Curtis, Ki-Jana Hoever, who came on, they all did amazing and I think to myself I could have a chance to do that as well. Our manager gives chances to the kids and gives us the chance to prove what we can do.

On a switch to right-side midfield on Sunday for the U23s against West Bromwich Albion…
I enjoyed it as Critch gave me a free role. I like to get on the ball and make things happen, that’s my game. The most important thing was the team and trying to get the three points because we needed a win. The lads did everything we could against a good strong team. I had a chance to score the winner with my right foot and I should have scored.

On the last meeting with Swansea City before Christmas which ended in a draw…
We had the chance to win it with the last kick of the game through Pedro Chirivella when the penalty was saved. We have struggled on penalties this season, I’ve missed a few myself, but we just need to focus on this game now, go into it with a winning mentality and get the three points.

On trying to turn draws into wins…
We started the season struggling to get the wins and drew a lot of games. We have progressed and we have a strong team at the moment. Swansea City have a good team but we are at home and it should give us an advantage.

Wish I was more excited about the Liverpool reserves, had a quick look on wiki and we have about zero players in the U17s, U19s and U21s.
Obviously Trent and Gomez would qualify for the U21s.

Think he means the Swedish youth sides. Lewis is in the England gang but that's not what he's after

Think he means the Swedish youth sides. Lewis is in the England gang but that's not what he's after

I'm not sure why he mentions TAA and Gomez then. Whatever, it's a really great and pertinent contribution to a thread about Adam Lewis, well done, Modo.

Think he means Swedish and/or black?
Sterling, Gomez and TAA have something in common.
Jack Robinson, Flanagan and Spearing also have something in common.

About to add Adam Lewis to that bottom list as well.

How's that for clearing things up?

For a young, up-and-coming left-back, Adam Lewis believes he has the perfect role model to learn from.

The 19-year-old Scouser has been given the opportunity to work alongside Andy Robertson up close, having regularly participated in senior training sessions at Melwood this season.

It's an experience Lewis believes to be invaluable, particularly given he rates Liverpool's No.26 as 'argubly the best left-back in the world'.

Ahead of tonight’s Premier League International Cup tie with Swansea City at the Academy - which you can watch live on LFCTV and LFCTV GO from 7pm GMT - we caught up with the England U20 international about his hopes of following good friends Rafael Camacho and Curtis Jones in training more frequently at Melwood.

Read on for Lewis’ thoughts on his progress so far, trying to impress Jürgen Klopp and hopes for the rest of the season…

On the opportunity for young players to get to Melwood if they train hard and impress...
The main example is Rafa [Camacho]. You wouldn’t expect him to get on the bench in a Premier League game because obviously we are chasing the title. But the manager loves young players and you look at it and think there's a chance for me to step up and try and get that chance Rafa has. The same as Curtis too as he is a young kid. I’ve been down to Melwood a bit now and learning off the best players makes you a better player, and you look at those two and think how far they have come since last season. Making an appearance for our first team is a kid's dream.

On being converted from a midfielder to a left-back by Alex Inglethorpe and Neil Critchley…
That’s the game, isn’t it? You look at Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard; Steven made his debut at right-back and he was a midfielder. As long as I’m in that starting XI that’s all that I am bothered about and I'll just give everything I have got. Playing as a left-back now, I’ve learned so much about the different side of the game. When I was a midfielder I was more attacking but I have worked on my defending and going to left-back has helped me so much.

On learning from Andy Robertson at left-back…
0c2f9bfabe8c8b19b1a8c96797935f1f935a125b.jpeg

The biggest example is Robertson. He’s arguably the best left-back in the world right now and I look up to him as my inspiration because obviously I want to do what he is doing. The energy he gives to the team is massive and he is a really big part of our club.

On speaking to Robertson and picking up tips from him at Melwood…
He is always coming over to me and helping me out. I know Trent well and Andy is close to him as well. Andy is a good person to have around because he gives you the advice you need which is great for me playing in the same position as him. I look up to him and think what can I do better because he plays every game for our first team. I think to myself 'what do I need to do to get the chance to do what he is doing for us'? Speaking to him he always helps me and gives me advice for what I need.

On whether he feels closer to being at the level required to play in the first team should the opportunity arise…
When you are down there and training with the likes of Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Virgil van Dijk, they are obviously going to make you a better player. Like I said, Robertson is the perfect example because I go into training at Melwood, not so much copying him but trying to do what he does. I just want to do what he does for the team. I was with the first team on a training camp 12 months ago; now I look at that and see how far I have come from then. I have made myself a better player because I have been down there training with those type of players.

On picking up good habits from the first-team players…
With people like Mona [Nemmer] the nutritionist - and we also have Tom Maynard at the Academy - little things like that from them can make you a better player off the pitch because the things you eat are probably the most important thing to make you last the whole season. You look at Robertson and the way he is up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and he doesn’t even break a sweat! The habits they have, we as young players need to have that as well. They are playing at the best level so Robertson is just the best example for those habits. For me, I feel I need to get stronger and bigger because when I go up to Melwood I don’t want to be the odd one out where I’m struggling and the manager notices that and then he doesn’t trust me to put me in a game. So that’s what I’ve been focusing on during the last 12 months since the training cam - getting stronger and I can feel it in my body. I’ve been working hard.

On finding out he was going to be part of the first-team squad that travelled to Wolves in the FA Cup at the start of the year…
It was a mad one, to be honest. Just being part of the squad was brilliant and I was there training with the squad three days before the game as well. When the manager told me I was going to be travelling to Wolves as part of the first-team squad, I was just amazed to be honest and thought to myself: 'This starts now!' You look at Rafa, Curtis, Ki-Jana Hoever, who came on, they all did amazing and I think to myself I could have a chance to do that as well. Our manager gives chances to the kids and gives us the chance to prove what we can do.

On a switch to right-side midfield on Sunday for the U23s against West Bromwich Albion…
I enjoyed it as Critch gave me a free role. I like to get on the ball and make things happen, that’s my game. The most important thing was the team and trying to get the three points because we needed a win. The lads did everything we could against a good strong team. I had a chance to score the winner with my right foot and I should have scored.

On the last meeting with Swansea City before Christmas which ended in a draw…
We had the chance to win it with the last kick of the game through Pedro Chirivella when the penalty was saved. We have struggled on penalties this season, I’ve missed a few myself, but we just need to focus on this game now, go into it with a winning mentality and get the three points.

On trying to turn draws into wins…
We started the season struggling to get the wins and drew a lot of games. We have progressed and we have a strong team at the moment. Swansea City have a good team but we are at home and it should give us an advantage.
He sounds like he's made of the right stuff. The fact that he's getting this attention on the Offal suggests the club thinks so too.

Sterling, Gomez and TAA have something in common.
Jack Robinson, Flanagan and Spearing also have something in common.

About to add Adam Lewis to that bottom list as well.

How's that for clearing things up?

Rubbish.

An attempt to make Modo's point more diplomatically …..

In recent years young players who have come through at Liverpool have been easy to see from a young age. Gomez and Sterling were fairly high-profile acquisitions, and they stood out in their few appearances at the youth levels. TAA is home-grown, but the talent has always been obvious. Hoever seems to be in this category. Woodburn also seemed to be, but that is now dubious.
There have been plenty of promising players but their varying levels of success (good fee for Ibe, good career for Coady, obscurity for others) has ended up away from Anfield.
So .. the real successes have been obvious for some time. There have been serviceable players (like Flanagan, Robinson, Spearing - good for cover). Does Lewis probably fall into that category? The fact that not many are being picked internationally, and that the youth teams are not dominating their leagues, suggests current lot may follow the recent pattern.

In recent years young players who have come through at Liverpool have been easy to see from a young age. Gomez and Sterling were fairly high-profile acquisitions, and they stood out in their few appearances at the youth levels. TAA is home-grown, but the talent has always been obvious. Hoever seems to be in this category. Woodburn also seemed to be, but that is now dubious.
There have been plenty of promising players but their varying levels of success (good fee for Ibe, good career for Coady, obscurity for others) has ended up away from Anfield.
So .. the real successes have been obvious for some time. There have been serviceable players (like Flanagan, Robinson, Spearing - good for cover). Does Lewis probably fall into that category? The fact that not many are being picked internationally, and that the youth teams are not dominating their leagues, suggests current lot may follow the recent pattern.
Exactly, my point was pretty simple, but Gkmacca is going senile so I guess I understand why he fails to understand stuff, I mean he still thinks Spearing is good enough to play for us.
Nothing to do with their backgrounds, I'm just lamenting the fact that none of England's youth teams have Liverpool players. So if they're so good, why aren't they in there playing regularly?
TAA did, Gomez did, Sterling did right?
So did Coady captained England

Gomez was a straight buy from Charlton. He started pretty much immediately in the first team. I don't see why he's grouped with the others. And what is the great Mighty Mouse fan going on about with his 'zero players' remark? Actually, why didn't he just take the trouble to make his point clearly and directly instead of acting like some 'interesting' bearer of gnomic observations?

Exactly, my point was pretty simple, but Gkmacca is going senile so I guess I understand why he fails to understand stuff, I mean he still thinks Spearing is good enough to play for us.
Nothing to do with their backgrounds, I'm just lamenting the fact that none of England's youth teams have Liverpool players. So if they're so good, why aren't they in there playing regularly?

Interesting point. Jamie Carragher held the record for most caps at U-21 level and Henderson has been captain of the u-21s and senior team.

One, if I could actually hit you, you pathetic cunt, I would do so.

Two, the Spearing claim is typically invented as an excuse because you couldn't defend an argument honestly if you tried.

Three, if your point was about England, why not just say so in the first place, you stupid little twat.

Four, I really mean it - I'd beat you to a pulp.

This kid has played 9 times for the national team sides since March. He captained the under 18s after playing for the under 16s and 17s and since starts for the under 19s and under 20s.

There's no issue here. Here's clearly the first choice at whatever level he's been at

Interesting point. Jamie Carragher held the record for most caps at U-21 level and Henderson has been captain of the u-21s and senior team.

He's already got 15 more youth appearances than either of them.

Last edited:
I remember some time ago, when Modo had managed to wind up most of the forum and was being battered even more aggressively than usual, I actually felt sorry for him and sent him a PM. I realised from his response that, far from being bothered by the hate aimed at him, he actually took a sociopathic pride in it. He contributes nothing on here of any value whatsoever - no information, no insight, no enthusiasm, certainly no wit and no curiosity. Just relentless negativity, about players, the club and most other forumites. I have no idea what moves him to come on here, other than a desperate need to feel noticed, but a more egregious waste of skin I've never encountered. It's a bit sad he's still indulged while less assiduous irritants have been banned.

Wish I was more excited about the Liverpool reserves, had a quick look on wiki and we have about zero players in the U17s, U19s and U21s.
Obviously Trent and Gomez would qualify for the U21s.

You used to post about Ryan McLaughlin about 10 times a day, whether the conversation called for it or not. If he excited you, then how the hell can you be complaining about the current reserves?

You used to post about Ryan McLaughlin about 10 times a day, whether the conversation called for it or not. If he excited you, then how the hell can you be complaining about the current reserves?
Ryan McLaughlin was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw Modo deciding to blunder in to this thread with the sum of zero knowledge about the player. And before he says it, I liked Spearing. And Charlie Adam.

As I said earlier, the club clearly see something special in this kid, and we have some excellent people working in our youth, so lets just see what happens. What prevents a lot of young players from making the step is the sheer iron will to persist, and work their balls off in every session. Lewis sounds like he has that. He also sounds like he has the skillz. We can but hope he's one who makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom