• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alisson out for 6 weeks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if these Jack Butland Rumours are true or not..

Id say he is a better keeper than Adrian..

Though we would probably need to offload Adrian in order to make the deal happen..

Buy Butland from Stoke.. Loan Adrian to them as part of the deal..

Job Done
There's nothing in the rumours mate. It's a case of a load of papers and Paul Robinson going 2+2=5

Butland has never pushed on as a keeper and is suffering from all that hype that English keepers get. He's been utter tosh at Stoke since his big move. I remember loads of fans wanting him here before we signed Allison. He's garbage, for all the issues that Adrian has right now i wouldn't want to replace him with Butland. No thanks.

I don't get the amusement. It's a pathetic thing to do, and it hardly helps the confidence of a keeper who will need to get into a better frame of mind to play Everton. The only contribution Grujic has made in about four years here is to mock a teammate. Ho ho indeed.

Agreed. It was very unprofessional and unnecessary.

The whole world can see that Adrian is not the right fit, but to kick your own team mate when he is down is totally out of order. It's clear that he has great resentment against the club, for the way his career has stalled. This one's not coming back.

Yeah, we're not signing Butland.

Adrian has one year left on his deal, and its pretty safe to say that he wont get a new contract.
There are quite a few decent GKs available after this season on free transfers. One of them is Vicente Guaita from Palace.
That could be a decent number two.

I wonder if these Jack Butland Rumours are true or not..

Id say he is a better keeper than Adrian..

Though we would probably need to offload Adrian in order to make the deal happen..

Buy Butland from Stoke.. Loan Adrian to them as part of the deal..

Job Done

I quite like Butland, but he's the same as a whole range of possible back-up keepers - give them good coaching, plenty of encouragement and a run of games, and they'll probably do well, but bung them in for a game or two after a long wait to prove themselves all over again, and they're likely to be just as flawed as Adrian. There's no short term fix.

I quite like Butland, but he's the same as a whole range of possible back-up keepers - give them good coaching, plenty of encouragement and a run of games, and they'll probably do well, but bung them in for a game or two after a long wait to prove themselves all over again, and they're likely to be just as flawed as Adrian. There's no short term fix.

Do you think kelleher should be promoted to backup? Or is he still too raw

Given the choice between too raw or rotting fungal growth, at least the former is somewhat palatable whereby you can keep it down for longer than five seconds.

EkNd19kXkAAcB_4
EkOBA2pWsAALbvh

Last edited:
From the few games I've seen him play, he looks a very talented goalkeeper but not as commanding as you'd hope.
He also had a very high risk in his passing and was almost to calm with the ball at his feet, re the game against Villa last season.

As I've said before. He should have gone on loan this year to a Championship side and played competitive football for the entire season.
That would have given us a clearer picture of where he is in his development and if he's ready to replace Adrian next season.

Pitaluga and Jaros were part of the first team training group today. Pitaluga looks like a quiet, but very self-assured kid. He is very skinny though. Jaros looked a bit terrified, which is understandable.

Its decision making, which we all know at the top level is about good instinct and awareness - knowing the dangers, the potential, picking the right ball out and when to do it. He's just not very good at it. Reina and Allison have good footballing brains, knowing when to come and when to stay, the timing, the 30-40 yard punt that might give one of our attackers a quick break.

I think too often with sub goalies, teams just go for someone half decent, on low wages with some experience, who they hope they rarely have to use.

[article]
Liverpool decided against bringing back Pepe Reina after ‘desperate’ Simon Mignolet’s departure.

Mignolet left Liverpool in August 2019 after a season as Alisson’s understudy, choosing instead to become a starter at Club Brugge.

The 32-year-old was ‘desperate to get away’ and feature regularly, according to The Athletic, who claim Pepe Reina ‘was keen on returning to Liverpool but the Anfield hierarchy felt that they needed a younger option’.

They instead signed sprightly 33-year-old free agent Adrian.

Alex McCarthy of Southampton was also considered for the back-up role but, much as with Ben Foster and Jack Butland this summer, Liverpool decided against it.

James Pearce writes that ‘there was never any prospect of the club dipping into the transfer market ahead of this week’s domestic deadline’.

‘Klopp and sporting director Michael Edwards don’t do knee-jerk reactions,’ he adds.

‘They decided to keep faith with Adrian as Alisson’s deputy in the summer and that stance didn’t waver following events at Villa Park.’

Reina eventually joined Aston Villa instead on a short-term loan deal, conceding 20 goals in 12 games before moving to Lazio at the end of the season.

He remains one of the finest goalkeepers in Premier League history, keeping a phenomenal 134 clean sheets in 285 games for Liverpool between 2005 and 2014.

But the mysterious ‘Anfield hierarchy’ felt he was too old for the position at 37, so moved for compatriot Adrian instead.

Adrian has come under fire recently, teammate Marko Grujic joking that his performance in defeat to Villa ‘probably ended’ his career on Merseyside.

Jurgen Klopp defended the Spaniard after a mistake in Champions League defeat to Atletico Madrid last season, noting that he had “saved us in so many moments when he played” before.

“He’s a man and he knows that’s how it is,” said the manager. “We will not blame him for a second – what you (the media) do, I don’t know, but stay respectful, that would be really nice.”
[/article]

He's levels above Adrian. Surely you are taking the piss!

No, he was a good goalkeeper but has declined in my opinion.

As I’ve said in another thread or earlier in this, cant remember. But Guaita at Palace is out of contract after this season, he would be a good back up.

As I’ve said in another thread or earlier in this, cant remember. But Guaita at Palace is out of contract after this season, he would be a good back up.
To be fair.. Watford were pretty shite at the back. There was a reason they went down. I thought Foster did ok.

As opposed to Adrian who had always been shite and has declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom