• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

American Sports. Is it only me who doesnt get any of them?

FoxForceFive

6CM Addict
Administrator
Shitloads of people on this site like them.

I dont get it. Outside of this site I dont know anyone who doesnt think they're wank.

Seriously, every single person I know's immediate reaction to any of the 4 main US sports is 'gay' or similar. Yet on here it's not at all.

This site makes it seem like a massive amount of people like them. Now I get most non-UK people liking it, cos it seems like the US have bombarded other countries with marketing about their sports, whereas in the UK we tend to ignore their shite cos we cant be arsed with it & they've left us alone till recently, where Sky have been trying to make out like it's exciting watching 'gridiron' at 4am.

Most of my co-owners seem to like them, & way more posters than I'd ever imagine too. I think it's massively skewed compared to 'real-life' interest in these sports.

So let's hear it, surely someone else doesnt like NHL, NFL, basketball or baseball??

It cant just be me, cant it?!

I only have a fleeting interest in NFL mainly because of enjoying the Madden games on the Playstation and it being similar to Rugby in a lot of ways. If I was American I know that'd be my only sport.

I'm not sure how popular they are nationally but Sky have been playing NFL games for a considerable time, Five now has NFL shows on terrestrial, as well as showing the occasional game, I think; Live games are now being played at Wembley, and the Superbowl's now being shown on more mainstream shows like the BBC.

Surely all that suggests you underestimate the following in this country? It's definitely become more mainstream in the last 5-7 years.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=36360.msg960571#msg960571 date=1255170423]

I only have a fleeting interest in NFL mainly because

[/quote]

Of...

patriots_cheerleaders2.jpg

cheerleaders.jpg

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=36360.msg960565#msg960565 date=1255169612]

I dont get it. Outside of this site I dont know anyone who doesnt think they're wank.

Seriously, every single person I know's immediate reaction to any of the 4 main US sports is 'gay' or similar. Yet on here it's not at all.

This site makes it seem like a massive amount of people like them. Now I get most non-UK people liking it, cos it seems like the US have bombarded other countries with marketing about their sports, whereas in the UK we tend to ignore their shite cos we cant be arsed with it & they've left us alone till recently, where Sky have been trying to make out like it's exciting watching 'gridiron' at 4am.

Most of my co-owners seem to like them, & way more posters than I'd ever imagine too. I think it's massively skewed compared to 'real-life' interest in these sports.

So let's hear it, surely someone else doesnt like NHL, NFL, basketball or baseball??

[/quote]

I reckon the words in bold above hold the key to this, Foxy.  For a variety of reasons, some understandable but others a lot less so, a degree of reflex resistance to (some might call it prejudice against) anything originating in America has grown up in the subconscious of some folks over the years.  Might you have been at least partially infected by it?

Besides that, I reckon Squiggs is right about the underestimation of UK interest in these sports, not just by your good self.  Sport in general can often be the victim of assumptions which don't turn out to be based on reality, like that of too many people - some on here included, worse luck - that ManUre are the country's most successful football club.

And Saint - no, they're not.  Go watch a video of the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final and you'll see how wrong you are about that.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=36360.msg960565#msg960565 date=1255169612]

[/quote]

1. Who still says "gay" as an intended insult? Seriously...

2. I'm assuming the "gay" remarks mean that the person concerned feels that the games are soft or easy..? With the possible exception of baseball, I defy anybody to play any of them in even a simple pickup game and tell me that they still feel the same afterwards. And even baseball can be a little scary when you're brushed back at the plate (by somebody who actually knows how to pitch).

I've never really gotten this "Sport A is shite, Sport B is deadly" stuff. When broken down to their base components, most sports involve the same basics, so how a big cricket fan (throw, hit, catch, run) can blindly claim that baseball (throw, hit, catch, run) is bollocks is beyond me.... Last week, some silly bint told me that she didn't "get" soccer, 'cos she didn't know what everybody "was trying to do". Yet she claims to be a huge Ice Hockey fan. I tried for about 5 minutes, then just gave up.

I understand if you just don't like a sport - I'm not a huge fan of cricket - but I do love the Red Sox, and I get how a different kind of throwing and hitting and catching and running can be entertaining to somebody else.

Believe me, I'm not slagging any of them off, I simply dont get any of them, but then I dont get some other sports either, I mentioned earlier, everything in the Winter Olympics bores me senseless.

What I'm getting at is I dont see any of the instant prejudice on here (BTW 'gay' is still used as an insult by quite a few people in Liverpool!) I just dont know of anyone outside of here who even entertains the idea of watching any of them, . I noticed about a week ago SSN running NFL standings alonsgide the screen as they do the footy leagues, & though 'what's the point in that?' as I couldnt imagine the Premiership standings being shown in the US & I immediately thought I dont know anyone who would care. Then I remembered Andy likes it, & realised a lot of folks on her do. So I asked around, in work, outside of work, in the pub, even standing talking to a Scottish band at a gig, & out of the 50 or so people I asked not a single one followed an American sport at all, & 90% dismissed the idea out of hand & slagged them off (most picking on baseball & calling it 'rounders' & 'gay' or the NFL & how many stoppages it has). As it's at complete odds to on here I was wondering if there's anyone on here who simply doesnt get it.

So far, it seems not!

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=36360.msg960587#msg960587 date=1255173719]
I reckon the words in bold above hold the key to this, Foxy. For a variety of reasons, some understandable but others a lot less so, a degree of reflex resistance to (some might call it prejudice against) anything originating in America has grown up in the subconscious of some folks over the years. Might you have been at least partially infected by it?

Besides that, I reckon Squiggs is right about the underestimation of UK interest in these sports, not just by your good self. Sport in general can often be the victim of assumptions which don't turn out to be based on reality, like that of too many people - some on here included, worse luck - that ManUre are the country's most successful football club.

And Saint - no, they're not. Go watch a video of the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final and you'll see how wrong you are about that.
[/quote]

When I said ignore their shite, I was referring to the marketing & PR the likes of Sky throw in our face, not the sport itself. I wrote this in a rush, I'm beginning to think I should have taken my time.

A bit like Squiggs, because of it's similarity to rugby, I always had a passing interest in the NFL. I still do but don't really follow it all that much. I don't have any one team I follow. I'll watch it if I'm not doing anything else. People complain about the breaks in it, fair enough, but I love the pace and power in the game. It's an explosive game, and I love the big hits.

I can fully understand why loads of people wouldn't ever get baseball, I still can't figure out the enjoyment anyone can get watching cricket yet plenty on here enjoy it. It took me a long time to really appreciate baseball, I must have gone to about 7 or 8 games before i really started understanding the nuances of it.

I love it now and have stayed up way past my bedtime to catch some of the playoff games this week.

out of them I'd have a passing interest in basketball as I think it can be quite entertaining.. American football and baseball are WAAAYYYY to slow moving for my liking (although I do enjoy seeing highlights) and I don't think I've ever watched a game of ice hockey..

I dont like basketball at all. Its so no contact and end to end.
Baseball i'll admit i know nothing about. In fact when i think of baseball i think of Patsy Kensits beautiful breasts (anyone know why?) but Gridiron! I dont know how anyone could follow a season and not fall in love with the sport? Nothing like smashmouth football. Last second hail marys, smashing the o-line and obliterating a quarterback, 99 yard interception returns, two toe in bounds touchdowns etc i guess like everything in life you get out what you put in. You commit to it you learn it, you understand it, you start to care, then you realise youre a fan. Do it Jon. Invest the time. Its worth it.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36360.msg960619#msg960619 date=1255181538] Last week, some silly bint told me that she didn't "get" soccer, 'cos she didn't know what everybody "was trying to do". Yet she claims to be a huge Ice Hockey fan. I tried for about 5 minutes, then just gave up.
[/quote]

I encounter this a lot here in Winnipeg. Most people feel soccer moves too slow, is too low-scoring, and don't understand the offside rule.

I'll say one thing for American sports; they make for more entertaining subjects in films.

Except for "Escape To Victory"

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=36360.msg960911#msg960911 date=1255264091]
Baseball i'll admit i know nothing about. In fact when i think of baseball i think of Patsy Kensits beautiful breasts (anyone know why?) but Gridiron! I dont know how anyone could follow a season and not fall in love with the sport? Nothing like smashmouth football. Last second hail marys, smashing the o-line and obliterating a quarterback, 99 yard interception returns, two toe in bounds touchdowns etc i guess like everything in life you get out what you put in. You commit to it you learn it, you understand it, you start to care, then you realise youre a fan. Do it Jon. Invest the time. Its worth it.
[/quote]

Weren't her and Mel Gibson using some horrible baseball cliches as they faked passion in Lethal Weapon 2?

Put me in the 'dont really get any of them' camp. I am fully aware of the rules in all US sports, I just dont find them interesting at all.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36360.msg960965#msg960965 date=1255274782]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=36360.msg960911#msg960911 date=1255264091]
[/quote]

Weren't her and Mel Gibson using some horrible baseball cliches as they faked passion in Lethal Weapon 2?
[/quote]Thats the one.
*resumes masterbating*

[/quote]

I don't like basketball, american football or baseball at all.

I love ice hockey though. It's a very fast, very physical sport which also requires lots of skill in terms of skating and stick-handling. Great to watch live.

I don't like American sports and I don't want to like American sports as I spend enough time as it is watching other sports that if I were "get into" others I would become a recluse.

I have no doubt that if I lived in America I would become a fan of American Football. I could never become a fan of Basketball or Ice Hockey and I doubt I would get into Baseball.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg961288#msg961288 date=1255354116]
I find American sport utterly boring to watch.
[/quote]

Ice Hockey is "utterly boring"?

Hello? Cricket? ;D

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36360.msg961289#msg961289 date=1255354193]
[/quote]

Hello? Cricket? ;D
[/quote]

I'm sorry Whaddapie i've tried to watch numerous american games before, but i just end up falling asleep.

To me, most of them just seem like tacky/shite versions of sports that we allready have.

I'm getting into NFL a lot this year. I have got Sky in the new house so I have been watching a few of the shows on there. Total Access is a brilliant show, it's the best punditry I have seen for any sport. I also like the 'America's Game' series where they highlight a superbowl winning team and makie a one hour show about them, it is brilliant TV.

The game itself used to annoy me a bit because of all the breaks but i don't seem to care as much about all that now. Sky usually go back to their own studio for most of them anyway and the guys they have in know there stuff, so it doesn't take away from the event one bit.

The sport itself, like Rosco said, is so explosive. It just can erupt at any time with a bit of magic. The hits are also great to watch. I'm not 100% with all the positions and most of the technical aspects of the game but I'm sure I will understand it more as I watch the game more.

I've been a fan of the NBA since Michael Jordan was playing. Basketball is a great spectator sport.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg961298#msg961298 date=1255355028]
[/quote]

Hello? Cricket? ;D
[/quote]

I'm sorry Whaddapie i've tried to watch numerous american games before, but i just end up falling asleep.

To me, most of them just seem like tacky/shite versions of sports that we allready have.
[/quote]

So ice hockey is the tacky/shite version of which English sport?

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=36360.msg961313#msg961313 date=1255356569]
[/quote]

Hello? Cricket? ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Horse racing???

I like the NBA and I usually jump on the Super Bowl bandwagon too. I tried to get into Baseball for the summer I spent in Boston but never gave it enough time.

Good thread.

I fully understand why people say cricket is shite boring and slow (especially the test games) but then I don't think they 'get' the game. The T20 and one dayers though do tend to be explosive and great fun to watch, because of the association and transferables I would like baseball, I watched a game once but I lost interest after a while cos I didnt get what was going on and didnt bother learning about it.

I tried so hard to watch the last superbowl, but it was on so late and I was already tired so fell asleep after a while.

I generally will watch any sports spectacle and have been glued to the telly watching the rowing/snooker/rugby/athletics and many other sports however most of these tend to be on a one off, either just a couple of games or a tournament rather than a whole season.

Didnt they play an NBA game in London recently?
One of the Chicago Bulls players was born in Brixton or something and he was talking about it

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=36360.msg961313#msg961313 date=1255356569]
[/quote]

Hello? Cricket? ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't say all of them.

Ice Hockey is a crap sport though imo.

Back
Top Bottom