• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Americans appreciation thread.

I like America because i have a load of relations there

I like America because it's cool

I like America because all of it's women love Irish accents and it makes them easier to score.

[quote author=robinhood link=topic=17199.msg398551#msg398551 date=1193772533]
Why was L.A. so rubbish, Singe? What did it do to offend you? Did you go to Hollywood?
[/quote]

It was just so big and sprawling and the stuff there just wasn't that interesting.

I dunno, I just got a real bad vibe off it, if you know what I mean? You know how some places you're walking round thinking "Yeah, this place feels cool", well LA was the opposite.

Maybe it just reminded me too much of Milton Keynes, but on a much bigger scale. I dunno really.

Plus driving an hour and a half just for dinner sucked the moose (not that I'm adverse to travelling a long way for food, but it has to be special)

And how come you had to drive so far for food? Surely that wasn't L.A.'s fault - surely you were just staying out of the way.

I like jEssica Biel and Jessica Alba, both Yanks ...

and 'The Deli' ...

and did I mention in my last post, American college chicks?

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=17199.msg398374#msg398374 date=1193758767]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=17199.msg398367#msg398367 date=1193758357]
I like America for saving Europe's ass in WWII.

I like America for being a great place to go to college, party, be a good footy player and enjoy the benefits of befriending sorority chicks.

I like America for Eden Wok (all you can eat sushi for 15 dolla)

I like America for NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA & when I'm in a good mood, MLS (it's funny to think I played against some of those lads)

I like America for some of its landmarks

I like America for Spring Break ... Fuck me ...

[/quote]

That's always a tentative topic for me ;)
[/quote]

Did you know..... America didn't join us to help, they were attacked by Japan in Pearl Harbour and WE joined them by Declaring War on Japan.

Dec 7th 1941 Japan attacks Pear Harbour

Dec 8th 1941 Britain declares war on Japan
Dec 8th 1941 America declasres war on Japan

**Dec 11th 1941 GERMANY Declares war on the US**

It always nice to let them know ;)

I've not been to L.A but I've never heard good things about it,or atleast from the tourist/vistors perspective, but to call it a bigger version of MK? Singe, that's quite claim, surely it can't be that bad?

[quote author=Grungefuttock link=topic=17199.msg398488#msg398488 date=1193766374]
Interestingly enough a lot of Americans I know don't like NY either, and are quick to tell visitors not to assume the whole of America is like that.
[/quote]

I think NY suffers from the 'commercial capital' syndrome most major cities do. NY, London, Paris - they're all full of arrogant fuckers who walk round without a thought or care for anyone else.

I work with many Americans and they're mostly very nice people. There are some who I find a bit odd but I'm sure there's odd people everywhere. I've a really good friend from Providence who now lives in Connecticut and he's a top lad. If I had one major gripe about Americans it would be their reoccurring ability to assume that they're ALWAYS right in everything they do, and their constant refusal to listen to good advice and ideas from other people. But that's mainly from a professional standpoint. From a personal standpoint they're generally good people.

While I'm on the subject, what's the American obsession with sobriety. They make you feel guilty for having a good time and getting drunk. There was a crowd of 20 of us once in Hooters once. Anyway we'd had 3 or 4 beers each and we called the waitress over. The conversation kind of went like this:

"What can I get you guys?"

"Another round of beers please"

"I'm sorry guys I can't serve you any more as you've had so much beer already"

"What. Are you having a laugh?"

"I'd have to get the managers permission"

"Go and get the manager then please love"

Manager walks over:

"Hey guys, what's the problem?"

"This lady says we can't have anymore beer"

"You guys are English?"

"Yes"

"Serve them as much beer as they want !"

Never could understand that. Aren't Americans allowed to get drunk ?

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=17199.msg398591#msg398591 date=1193774609]

I like America for being a great place to go to college, party, be a good footy player and enjoy the benefits of befriending sorority chicks.

I like America for NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA & when I'm in a good mood, MLS (it's funny to think I played against some of those lads)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you know..... America didn't join us to help, they were attacked by Japan in Pearl Harbour and WE joined them by Declaring War on Japan.

[/quote]

Did you know that a very large percentage of Americans wanted to fight on the Germans side in World War One?

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=17199.msg398597#msg398597 date=1193774771]

While I'm on the subject, what's the American obsession with sobriety. They make you feel guilty for having a good time and getting drunk. There was a crowd of 20 of us once in Hooters once. Anyway we'd had 3 or 4 beers each and we called the waitress over. The conversation kind of went like this:

"What can I get you guys?"

"Another round of beers please"

"I'm sorry guys I can't serve you any more as you've had so much beer already"

"What. Are you having a laugh?"

"I'd have to get the managers permission"

"Go and get the manager then please love"

Manager walks over:

"Hey guys, what's the problem?"

"This lady says we can't have anymore beer"

"You guys are English?"

"Yes"

"Serve them as much beer as they want !"

Never could understand that. Aren't Americans allowed to get drunk ?

[/quote]

Probably just scared some opportunist might sue them if they got drunk and had an accident.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now I wonder why the Brits joined the Yanks in their declaration ... hmmmm ... We're in serious shit if we don't get the yanks on our side - let's do anything to suck up to our former colony

'Franklin, nice name by the way, we're with you all the way in the Pacific, just come rescue us and those pathetic Frogs if you please'
'Do you want some fries with that?'

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=17199.msg398599#msg398599 date=1193774864]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you know that a very large percentage of Americans wanted to fight on the Germans side in World War One?
[/quote]

Probably a lot of British too, we were tied up in a 'pact' and they were in a different one, we ended up allied with France our 'historical enemy' and fighting the Germans who our royal family were related too and had allied with us against Napoleon and those French again!

Don't forget us.

We didn't want to fight in the war itself but we definitely weren't on your side.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=17199.msg398611#msg398611 date=1193775144]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now I wonder why the Brits joined the Yanks in their declaration ... hmmmm ... We're in serious shit if we don't get the yanks on our side - let's do anything to suck up to our former colony

'Franklin, nice name by the way, we're with you all the way in the Pacific, just come rescue us and those pathetic Frogs if you please'
[/quote]

You know nothing LeTall.

The battle of Britain was over.
The British were pushing Rommel back in Africa.
The Aussies had taken El Alemien and
Russia had taken Rostov and the Germans were in retreat from Moscow

Britain had launched the first 1000 Bomber attack against Cologne,

All before the yanks had seen a German

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=17199.msg398599#msg398599 date=1193774864]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hitler won Time Magazine's 'Man Of The Year' in 1938

[/quote]

Errr....didn't the Russians have something to do with defeating Germany too? The British Commonwealth countries too. And Poland. And Canada. Australia. New Zealand. Denmark. Norway. Belgium. And others.

What the American certainly did bring with them to the war was a huge amount of wealth and resource both manpower and armoury. Britain was certainly on the back foot at the time when the US joined the war. But the war on the Russian front had only been going for 5 months. So to say it was the US who saved us all isn't neccesarily true. Even without the US, the Allies may have prevailed but I guess it's quite easy to say that was unlikely. The fact Hitler invaded Russia too early and overstretched his Axis forces had as much bearing on the outcome of WW2 as the joining of the US to the Allied forces did.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For probably the only time in the US' independent history it adopted a 'lets wait and see' policy

And I wouldn't say the US saved Europes ass, despite however many times you watch Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers, I'd say the Battle of Britain being lost, Hitler's vanity and Stalingrad/Russia ( and the fact they wanted to fight on all fronts) are probably more obvious reasons as to why I'm not called Hans and and living in Leedsdorf or whatever.

Oh, and LTW - it's okay, you can say you like America because they're *incredibly* pro-Israel and love Jewish people y'know

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=17199.msg398622#msg398622 date=1193775524]

You know nothing LeTall.

The battle of Britain was over.
The British were pushing Rommel back in Africa.
The Aussies had taken El Alemien and
Russia had taken Rostov and the Germans were in retreat from Moscow

Britain had launched the first 1000 Bomber attack against Cologne,

All before the yanks had seen a German
[/quote]

Your wartime historical knowledge is quite admirable Asbo. Have you ever heard of Jasper Maskelyne ? Intriguing story.

are you seriously saying without Yankee intervention, the battle on Europe would have been won by VE Day? Are you seriously saying that? My lord ... Yes the English had 'repelled' the Battle of Britain, or HItler had perhaps made his biggest mistake and opened a second front giving the chance for the Brits to breathe after non-stop assaults on her cities.

And considering Rommel had the 'Allied forces' just west of Tobruk in Jan 1943, I don't exactly see how the war had already shifted (Granted, this was due to troop reinforcements being sent to Burma). Rommel was basically at El Alamein in May 1943 ... only to be pushed back ... but don't let that get in you rway.

Put your anti-American hatred to the side - were it not for their involvement in the war, things would not have ended as they did.

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=17199.msg398632#msg398632 date=1193775877]
Oh, and LTW - it's okay, you can say you like America because they're *incredibly* pro-Israel and love Jewish people y'know
[/quote]

Although it was the BRITISH Mandate of Palestine that created a national home for the Jewish people.

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=17199.msg398632#msg398632 date=1193775877]
[/quote]

nah - you know my opinion on this - it's all a 'game' ... they could really care less, as evident by quite a lot of events since the 1940s ...

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=17199.msg398634#msg398634 date=1193775964]

Your wartime historical knowledge is quite admirable Asbo.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same Sunny.

Asbo has been added to my "Don't argue with" list when war is the topic at hand.

Back
Top Bottom