• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

An Evening with Ian Rush & Robbie Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windom Earle

Very Active
So, anybody got tickets for this then? I'm off to see it tomorrow evening. Looks to be a live interview style show, interspersed with video footage from their careers.

I started following football and Liverpool properly when I was a 7-year-old, just before Robbie got his break. I loved him to bits, he was my absolute favourite Liverpool player and no other player has really replaced him I guess. I get the impression that my story might also be true for some of the other early-30s guys on here.

Indeed. When you write code to simulate some sort of engineering problem, you usually define extra variables to keep count of how many loops or time-steps you've got up to. I called one counter Fowler, and the other Batistuta. And then I spent some significant time to think about how the code would run in practice, to ensure Fowler always outscored Batistuta. Good times.

Indeed. When you write code to simulate some sort of engineering problem, you usually define extra variables to keep count of how many loops or time-steps you've got up to. I called one counter Fowler, and the other Batistuta. And then I spent some significant time to think about how the code would run in practice, to ensure Fowler always outscored Batistuta. Good times.

It's often said that there are two types of football fans, Dantes. There are those who follow football with their hearts and stomach squeezings, then there are those who follow football with a complex code and set of algorithms designed to expose a player's strengths and weaknesses.

I think we all knew that kid. Good times.

You can ask God which one he was. I'd say the accuracy he had can only come from a geek who sees first the angles and geometry around him, and only second the other human beings in his way.

You can ask God which one he was. I'd say the accuracy he had can only come from a geek who sees first the angles and geometry around him, and only second the other human beings in his way.

He certainly had a talent for finding the back of the net and exploited angles like a snooker player.

I wonder how the impression of Fowler would have differed had he not come through in the 'Spice Boys' era.

He'd probably have been given far more sympathy for his injuries, and an effort made to find a new position for him in the team as a highly intelligent withdrawn striker. Instead we picked him as a lone striker then had to put up with the manager bitching about his lack of pace and power compared to Heskey.

Well this was great. They operated a closed door policy so they could tell a few stories that you wouldn't normally hear. It was great to see Robbie without the glare of the camera (and in the grip of the dreaded "but look"s) - he's a genuinely funny guy when he's more relaxed.

There was a charity auction in the interval, lots of authenticated memorabilia. Strangely enough, a Suarez shirt and picture fetched the highest price and not the Rush, Fowler, Gerrard, Carra, Digger etc. stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom