• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

And still........

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a crap game. I let my son stay up to watch it and at half time he asked me if I minded if he closed his eyes for a bit. The fucking lightweight. The next few weeks he was into football and anytime we were kicking a ball about he was Liverpool while I was "the team in white".

I think I might be raising two girls...

My 3 year old all-singing-all-dancing son prefers to play with Elsa and Anna dollies rather than to be cracking a 25 yard curler into the top corner.
My wife assures me that I should be okay with it. And I am. But I'm not. But I am.
*sigh*

Champions of Europe a year on.

It was such a crap game. I loved it.

Yep, my second-favourite type of game: boring, rubbish and a comfortable win. Luckily for us, the only thing shitter than we were on the day, were Spurs.
And after all that pre-game chat and hype, they just didn't show up at all.

Haha

I let my son stay up to watch it and at half time he asked me if I minded if he closed his eyes for a bit.

You never need to ASK. Karius will tell you that.

Boring, though, is the norm for those games. Actually, of all our six wins, I think the first was the only good game (maybe that was because I was a very excited kid at the time, but we had some great attacks). After that we got very 'European' and were as patient as we needed to be. The Brugge game was horrible because they were so negative, and the ones against Real and Roma were really attritional. 2005 wasn't boring, just shambolic for one half, thrilling for a bit and then pens; I'm in a tiny minority but I don't ever want to sit through that again no matter how nostalgic I feel. And then the Spurs game was as you say, it was as if the 89th minute had been stretched to last, er, 89 minutes.

I watched this on a stag do in wales - a rented house for a weekend of golf. Stag is a United fan, had him dressed up in a LFC full kit with Champions 19 on the back, a shirt I now have framed on my wall. Awful game, but how good did it feel to get that pen in the first min.

Finals are largely boring affairs I find.
Most world cup finals are boring, in comparison to the semis. Same for the CL.

Finals are there to be won.

Decent read this - Neil Atkinson on The Anfield Wrap podcast...

ONE year on from this team just getting what it deserved. No more, no less.

You don't get what you deserve in sport as often as you might expect. We think of sport as the ultimate meritocracy but that isn't really the case with team sports.

Indeed, the season before we had the perfect counterpoint - the side that thrilled Europe losing out to Real Madrid.

On the evening of the May 31, 2019, I got drunk. Really quite stupidly so. It was one of them - I had to do interviews, I was going from place to place, there tended to be someone with booze but no one was offering food. It was a Friday no tea special, just in another country.

As I was going from place to place on that Friday night I noticed it was hot - really hot. I may even have said so on BBC Radio 5 Live - we were chatted to live on the radio and asked about the game and I think I said that I wasn't expecting a classic because of the heat.

"I think" is doing a lot of work there. I was definitely thinking it, whether or not I was saying it is up in the air. Watching the game back - which I always recommend - that becomes crystal clear quickly.

Two things impact the game irrevocably - the very early goal and the heat. There is a hint that Liverpool are trying to build on the early lead but it is almost too early; there is a goal to build on but there is no momentum. They have a go but the heat hits everyone.

Because we watch it from a Liverpool point of view where it means everything, meant everything, where every kick had significance riding on it, we miss the other side of the coin.

Tottenham Hotspur were also in a position where they had a team which deserved something. They were a side there or thereabouts for five seasons, were arguably a better outfit than the Chelsea side which wins the league in 2016-17, but were demonstrably on the decline. And they had nothing to show for it.

They deserved something, that squad of players, that manager. But in terms of medals, they had nothing.

On this night, watching it back, one thing that is striking is there is no Tottenham Hotspur player raging against the dying of the light. No one deciding that they weren't standing for it. There is nothing silly, nothing daft. There is sense in abundance.

Again, this is the early goal, this is the heat. This may also be the character of this Tottenham side - just falling short. But still you expect a mazy run or a mad challenge. You expect something to be tried and failed just to have tried.

All the way through the second half you watch, wait, for the 25-yard howitzer that stings the palms of Alisson at the very least. None of it ever really comes. We were in emotional turmoil but the game wasn't.

There's a Liverpool finals thing "when do we ever make it easy for ourselves?" It gets trotted out. Let's be clear - this wasn't easy. But it most definitely wasn't hard. It wasn't Istanbul or West Ham or even Rome '77 against Borussia Monchengladbach. It was quite the two-nil-y two-nil.

But it was beautiful. And it was necessary. It was what was deserved. The biggest prize in club football was what was deserved and how often can you actually, truly say that? They'd been the best or most compelling football team on the planet since the day they lost 4-1 to Tottenham. They got what they deserved, we got what we deserved.

The sixth, the first. The number doesn't matter, not really. The scenes do. The celebrations do. The parade did and still does now. They were kings and still are.

What a day to be alive. It was hot. You can still feel that heat.

Neil

You never need to ASK. Karius will tell you that.

Boring, though, is the norm for those games. Actually, of all our six wins, I think the first was the only good game (maybe that was because I was a very excited kid at the time, but we had some great attacks). After that we got very 'European' and were as patient as we needed to be. The Brugge game was horrible because they were so negative, and the ones against Real and Roma were really attritional. 2005 wasn't boring, just shambolic for one half, thrilling for a bit and then pens; I'm in a tiny minority but I don't ever want to sit through that again no matter how nostalgic I feel. And then the Spurs game was as you say, it was as if the 89th minute had been stretched to last, er, 89 minutes.

Are you actually in a minority as stated above, macca? I'm not at all sure. Wondrous evening all right, my greatest single experience in almost 60 years as a Red so far, but I prefer a boring procession towards an eventual win all day long and twice on Sundays.

Does anyone else agree with me though that things might have been different if Pochettino had picked Moura up front instead of a clearly unfit Kane?

Definitely. Moura would’ve been so much more dangerous than that useless performance.

I couldn't give a shite what the game is like. I'd happily be bored pissless if it means continually winning the thing.
The trip, my mates, the build up, the anticipation, the euphoria, the celebration, the nightclub till 6am, the three days and nights going mental in Madrid. That wasn't boring.
Never cared what a final is like. Never will. If we lose i never watch it again anyway.

I couldn't give a shite what the game is like. I'd happily be bored pissless if it means continually winning the thing.
The trip, my mates, the build up, the anticipation, the euphoria, the celebration, the nightclub till 6am, the three days and nights going mental in Madrid. That wasn't boring.
Never cared what a final is like. Never will. If we lose i never watch it again anyway.

Really? I always want us to produce a really classy, stylish and dominant performance that I can look back on with undiluted pride. Maybe that's because my earliest memory is of us strolling around against Newcastle in the cup final. But I agree with you, I'm ecstatic how ever we win so long as we win. Presumably all fans are.

I would think we’d all prefer a 5-0 easy classy win every game. We’d all still take a drab 2-0 win every game.

What makes me laugh more than anything is that there are people there at the biggest club match in the world, supporting their team, unlikely to ever experience this again .. and they spend more time looking into their phone camera than watching the fucking match!

Still makes me laugh this
Fancy going to champions League final, the biggest game in your clubs history, and sir
spend the entire match filming yourself on your phone

I can never understand that...

Immerse yourself into the experience.. put the fucking phone down you attention seeking twat..

Fancy going to champions League final, the biggest game in your clubs history, and sir

Immerse yourself into the experience.. put the fucking phone down you attention seeking twat..
Quifftastic ... even with a 3 hour delay

What makes me laugh more than anything is that there are people there at the biggest club match in the world, supporting their team, unlikely to ever experience this again .. and they spend more time looking into their phone camera than watching the fucking match!

I know! Really really weird.

Well, on the other hand, they now have some lovely memories to revisit during lockdown. You had 90 minutes of excitement but they can now replay this clip over and over and over ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom