• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are we spending 150m on Bellingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a leader and a unique talent.
Sounds like deal is sorted anyway, this one is done. Klopp will have a midfield to conquer all battles next year.

Hendo's had a few injuries but he's been pretty much an ever present in the side since Klopp's arrived. Even with his gait.

That is not how we roll. We probably will let him leave for free at the end of his contract to Madrid or PSG in 5 years.

Yeah, but he’d be bored after winning the domestic treble and Champions League 5 seasons in a row.

The biggest issue with Bellingham for me, aside from the fact his price seems unrealistic, is that he's clearly a career project type player. By that I mean he and his advisers/family have mapped out how they want his career to go. There's a reason he went to Dortmund at 17 when every club in Europe wanted him. Much like Haaland and Mbappe he's going to move as and when he sees fit to maximize his career/earnings. My fear is we'd pay an astronomical fee and he'd be off to Madrid or PSG within 3 years.
As has been said, so what? At worst we'd get our money back. But if Klopp is still here I'd bet, like Mo, VvD, Ali etc. he wouldn't want to move on, even more so if we were winning trophies. He's English not Latin so should be very at home at Anfield.

If he leaves in 3 years we will not be losing any money on him, and we’d have had one of the best young midfielders around during that period to help us win trophies.
And if he’s got PSG as a part of his elaborate career map at 22, god help him.

Not suggesting we would lose money on him. But if you are planning to rebuild your midfield for the long term then a guy who is likely to start assessing his options in 2 seasons is not the player to build around. I see people saying 'if we sign Jude we'd be sorted for 10 years' but the reality is he's very unlikely to stay put that long.

Not suggesting we would lose money on him. But if you are planning to rebuild your midfield for the long term then a guy who is likely to start assessing his options in 2 seasons is not the player to build around. I see people saying 'if we sign Jude we'd be sorted for 10 years' but the reality is he's very unlikely to stay put that long.
You're making an awful lot of assumptions based on a 19 year-old's single transfer at 17.
And we're not Dortmund. We're one of the most valuable clubs in the world.
And he's English.

Well that's irrelevant since Tchouameni isn't on the table.

So what is the alternative to Bellingham? Enzo + Amrabat + Joao Gomes?
No need to overspend, though. That’s always been my issue not that he’s of good.

Virgil may not be precisely twice as good as some of the other options who would have cost half as much, but it was still money well spent.
We ended paying that because of tapping up— he was going to be cheaper.

But I get the the argument— if they’re the real deal and fit, they’re worth it. Is Bellingham worth that much, though?

I would say so, yes. For someone with his skillset at 19 I'd be prepared to pay a pretty high fee anyway. The club signing Bellingham will get all that plus the strength and maturity of a man half a dozen years older. IMO his ceiling will be stratospherically high.

The biggest issue with Bellingham for me, aside from the fact his price seems unrealistic, is that he's clearly a career project type player. By that I mean he and his advisers/family have mapped out how they want his career to go. There's a reason he went to Dortmund at 17 when every club in Europe wanted him. Much like Haaland and Mbappe he's going to move as and when he sees fit to maximize his career/earnings. My fear is we'd pay an astronomical fee and he'd be off to Madrid or PSG within 3 years.

How dare a kid get advice to go to a club with a history of playing and developing young players!!

And, the goal of this is to maximize his lifetime earnings. And, clearly he is going to want to hop from his next club after 3 years, because that will make him and the family the most money possible.

A lot of BS speculation there. If he comes, enjoys his football, and we pay him appropriately, it is remotely possible that he might stay for a while.

Put it this way - I’d be staggered and gutted if he didn’t become a red in the summer. Everything I’ve been told - repeatedly by my Yoga hombre points to the fact that he’s a nailed on red. Everything. Player, Parents, agent, both clubs everything is set. Dortmund aren’t cunts. The relationship with Klopp is key here. Sure his value could and probably will rocket BUT for what it’s worth - He’s given his word and so if it does fuck up it’ll likely be us not him that scuppers the deal. I’m confident.

Put it this way - I’d be staggered and gutted if he didn’t become a red in the summer. Everything I’ve been told - repeatedly by my Yoga hombre points to the fact that he’s a nailed on red. Everything. Player, Parents, agent, both clubs everything is set. Dortmund aren’t cunts. The relationship with Klopp is key here. Sure his value could and probably will rocket BUT for what it’s worth - He’s given his word and so if it does fuck up it’ll likely be us not him that scuppers the deal. I’m confident.
I trust your yoga hombre.

Well that's irrelevant since Tchouameni isn't on the table.

So what is the alternative to Bellingham? Enzo + Amrabat + Joao Gomes?

I’d think it’s relevant in gauging the value of his reported transfer fee. Or at least, the fee that this thread started a discussion on.

When asked about the chances of getting Bellingham in January, Klopp couldn't keep a straight face. He said, "[Laughs] In January?, I'm the wrong person. Are you from the buying side or the selling side? I'm the wrong person to ask that, you'll have to ask other people about that."

"January in our situation is, we always say in this moment because it's true, from the sports side we are always prepared, that's how it is," Klopp explained. "It's always clear what kind of ideas we have and how the necessity is from our point of view and that's clear but all the rest doesn't lie 100% in our hands and that's how we have to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom