• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arnaut Danjuma

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Since arriving in Spain in a £21.3 million deal, the 24-year-old has scored three and assisted one in seven appearances, quickly becoming a first-choice starter for Unai Emery. His first assist of the campaign came on Wednesday night, in a captivating display up against United right-back Diogo Dalot in the Champions League clash at Old Trafford. Liverpool were among the clubs to have scouts in attendance, with Dutch publication Voetbal International claiming the Reds were “closely monitoring” Danjuma as a “possible successor to Sadio Mane.” The Reds’ interest is described as “above-average,” though there is no suggestion at this stage that a move is in the offing – nor has there been corroboration from sources on Merseyside. It is not the first time Liverpool have been linked with Danjuma, though, with Marca citing Jurgen Klopp‘s side as rivals for Villarreal prior to his summer switch, while the Mail credited the Reds with an interest in 2019. If scouts were focusing on Villarreal’s No. 15 on Wednesday night, they will likely have been impressed as he repeatedly tore Dalot apart on the left flank and teed Paco Alcacer up for the opener.

Danjouma.png

I only saw the highlights of the Villareal game, but he does look very Mane-esque and his stats breakdown above, with the vast number of positions covered and almost 1 in 3 career goal-per-game ratio, confirms the first impression. His career path kept him somewhat under radar: he struggled with injuries and adaptation in his first season in the Premier League (while his club Bournemouth got relegated), tore it up next season in the Championship (17 goals and 8 assists playing as a winger) and now seems fully blossoming in La Liga and the CL with his new club who surely got themselves a bargain at €25M. He was born in Nigeria, but now represents Netherlands (2 caps so far).

Not sure how realistic it is to expect Villareal sell a player they've just bought, but he looks to be an interesting alternative to the likes of Jeremy Doku or Ismaila Sarr who we're also apparently scouting for the same role. At 24 (turning 25 in January), Danjuma is a lot further ahead in his development than Doku and is roughly in an equivalent place in his career as Mane at the time we signed him. Definitely one to watch.

Last edited:

Dated Apr 2021
https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/why-danjuma-should-be-top-flight-target/190734
[article]You would be forgiven for forgetting that Arnaut Danjuma has played Premier League football already.

He started a meagre six league games during Bournemouth’s failed battle against relegation last season. In 700 minutes of top-flight action, he did not register a single goal involvement.

But a lot can change in nine months.

Ten goals and four assists later, albeit in the Sky Bet Championship, Danjuma is showing there’s every chance he’ll be back in the big time next season.

With or without Bournemouth.

The Vitality Stadium hasn’t exactly been the most stable of environments over the past year.

After the close-season departure of Eddie Howe came the expected departures of high-earning stars. The mid-season sacking of assistant-turned-manager Jason Tindall was followed by the short-term appointment of caretaker boss Jonathan Woodgate in a bid to scrape into the play-offs.

Failure to secure an immediate top-flight return will almost certainly mean another exodus. Danjuma will undoubtedly be a target.

His 14 goal involvements are mightily impressive, especially when taking expected goals (xG) into consideration.

His 10 league goals from 5.58 xG is an outstanding over performance, and suggests he could well be an even greater threat in a team of better quality players.

It also begs the question of where would the Cherries be without him.

Among team-mates, only top-scorer Dominic Solanke ranks above Danjuma when it comes to non-penalty expected goal involvements.

He is indispensable.

Looking specifically at Danjuma’s attacking numbers, we can see he’s a high volume dribbler.

He averages 3.86 progressive runs and 7.54 dribbles per 90 mins (48% success rate), ranking among the highest in the Championship.

Furthermore, he engages in 13.66 offensive duels per 90, so not only does he dribble and progress the ball up the pitch, but he also regularly attempts to beat his man.

c4b0d49b-bbed-424d-ab76-25c4839703f6.jpg

This directness and desire to be a scorer rather than a provider is further evidenced by his low average of just 1.53 crosses per 90 minutes. At just 22% success rate, it’s simply not his game, although that’s not to say it can’t be improved.

And as we know, he is well capable of end product.

His non-penalty expected goal involvements (NPxGI) of 0.38 per 90 minutes again puts him among the best wingers in the second tier.

In theory, it means he should have more than one goal or assist every three games.

Looking at teams who engage in a lot of dribbles and take-ons, there are three obvious fits — Wolves, Crystal Palace and Fulham. Only Manchester City rank higher than these clubs for such dribbling metrics.

Although Wolves lost Diogo Jota to Liverpool in the summer, they still have Adama Traore, Pedro Neto and Daniel Podence, all of whom have a similar profile to Danjuma.

However, with Wolves, there is a need to be defensively solid out of possession and this is an area he would require improvement, as he currently only engages in 2.33 defensive duels per 90.

Wilfred Zaha is constantly linked with a move away from Palace, and there are definitely similarities between him and Danjuma.

387b42b1-1b73-40c6-89dd-66649b996006.jpg

Both like to play from the left and come inside into the half space. They’re both high volume dribblers with >0.35 xGI per 90, and they’re also both relieved of defensive duty and given the license to stay forward.

With two years left on his contract at Selhurst Park there could be plenty more talk about Zaha’s future this summer. Should he leave, Danjuma would certainly be a good replacement.

But the club that really sticks out is Fulham.

They signed Ademola Lookman on loan from RB Leipzig in the summer and he’s been one of their best players this season.

Similar in profile to Danjuma and Zaha, he is a right-footer who plays from the left, and averages very similar numbers.

It is looking increasingly likely that Lookman will return to Leipzig in the summer, whether Fulham stay up or not, so regardless, they could be shopping for a new left winger.

It could just so happen that a strong season in the Championship, to prove his top-flight quality, actually gets Danjuma another season... in the Championship. But Fulham won’t be the only club in the queue.

And there’s still the matter of that Bournemouth play-off push, too.[/article]

From the video @King Binny posted, he seems to be a very good finisher - lots of near-post goals and precisely placed shots just out of reach of the goalkeeper. He can cross well with both feet too and unlike Mane takes set pieces as well, so the ball-striking technique is clearly there, which is a pretty sweet combination when coupled with explosive speed, dribbling technique and awareness. Can’t believe all the big boys missed him so far, he looks every bit a top-level talent.

Also interesting to note how well Solanke is doing at Bournemouth after his well-documented initial struggles - I quite liked him when he was in LFC and this shows the downside of signing good players too early. The potential was always there, but he simply needed 2-3 more seasons of regular football to get to the point of being effective and we could not wait this long. This season he’s scoring at a very healthy 2 goals in 3 games clip and surely it’s only a matter of time before he’s attacking the scoring charts in the Premier League.

Last edited:
Interesting Solanke's had an international cap with England in 2017. They do give them out cheaply in those days.

We should have plenty of options as far as attacking targets go.

For strikers, we've been linked with Adeyemi, and we've also apparently scouted Jonathan David, Darwin Nunez and Amine Gouiri.

For wing-forwards, Sarr and Doku have been linked. This Danjuma chap looks interesting. The couple of others I really like that I've mentioned before are Rafael Leao at Milan (who's on the verge of a breakout year) and Moussa Diaby at Leverkusen.

Diaby is intriguing to me particularly, because he's actually a playmaker from the wings, which is kind of what we want as a long-term Mane replacement. He had 15 assists last season, which is really spectacular. His overall record for Leverkusen is 21 goals, 24 assists in 91 appearances.

From the video @King Binny posted, he seems to be a very good finisher - lots of near-post goals and precisely placed shots just out of reach of the goalkeeper. He can cross well with both feet too and unlike Mane takes set pieces as well, so the ball-striking technique is clearly there, which is a pretty sweet combination when coupled with explosive speed, dribbling technique and awareness. Can’t believe all the big boys missed him so far, he looks every bit a top-level talent.

Also interesting to note how well Solanke is doing at Bournemouth after his well-documented initial struggles - I quite liked him when he was in LFC and this shows the downside of signing good players too early. The potential was always there, but he simply needed 2-3 more seasons of regular football to get to the point of being effective and we could not wait this long. This season he’s scoring at a very healthy 2 goals in 3 games clip and surely it’s only a matter of time before he’s attacking the scoring charts in the Premier League.
Can't say I'd ever noticed him before but I watched the United game (looked good on paper despite 5 previous 0-0 results) and he absolutely destroyed Daliot time and time again.

I compared him to Adama Traore though, terrible finishing in that game. Maybe scoring-wise it was a one off but his pace and tricky were excellent. Crosses pretty decent too.

Can't say I'd ever noticed him before but I watched the United game (looked good on paper despite 5 previous 0-0 results) and he absolutely destroyed Daliot time and time again.

I compared him to Adama Traore though, terrible finishing in that game. Maybe scoring-wise it was a one off but his pace and tricky were excellent. Crosses pretty decent too.

Well, if someone saw Mane play only once in any game he didn’t score, he would probably seem like Traore type as well - but if you look over the course of the season or longer the nature of the players becomes clearer: Danjouma already has 3 goals in 7 games this season and was Bournemouth’s top scorer last year while Traore hasn’t found the net since 2018 or something (I might be exaggerating, but only slightly).

Also interesting to compare stats with the likes of Sarr or Saint-Maximin (Doku is too young and has a very small sample size), Sarr scores around 1 in 4 so far in his career, Saint-Maximin less than 1 in 8 – clearly more interested in being a threat and showman than a scorer. Danjouma has the most similar profile to pre-Liverpool Mane that I have seen in recent seasons.

Last edited:
We should have plenty of options as far as attacking targets go.

For strikers, we've been linked with Adeyemi, and we've also apparently scouted Jonathan David, Darwin Nunez and Amine Gouiri.

For wing-forwards, Sarr and Doku have been linked. This Danjuma chap looks interesting. The couple of others I really like that I've mentioned before are Rafael Leao at Milan (who's on the verge of a breakout year) and Moussa Diaby at Leverkusen.

Diaby is intriguing to me particularly, because he's actually a playmaker from the wings, which is kind of what we want as a long-term Mane replacement. He had 15 assists last season, which is really spectacular. His overall record for Leverkusen is 21 goals, 24 assists in 91 appearances.

Yeah, I was kind of "scouting" Darwin Nunez vs Barcelona last night – he's an interesting type, big guy with very quick feet (sometimes quicker than his brain), physically strong and passionate, reminds me of Cavani. Don't think he's necessarily made for England, but he will make a name for himself in the years to come, I'm sure.

As far as CFs go, for me Adeyemi is the one I'd like to sign most.

Last edited:
Interesting Solanke's had an international cap with England in 2017. They do give them out cheaply in those days.
That was to stop him being called by Nigeria if memory serves me correctly. However as it was only a friendly, he could still switch at some point.

Well, if someone saw Mane play only once in any game he didn’t score, he would probably seem like Traore type as well - but if you look over the course of the season or longer the nature of the players becomes clearer: Danjouma already has 3 goals in 7 games this season and was Bournemouth’s top scorer last year while Traore hasn’t found the net since 2018 or something (I might be exaggerating, but only slightly).

Also interesting to compare stats with the likes of Sarr or Saint-Maximin (Doku is too young and has a very small sample size), Sarr scores around 1 in 4 so far in his career, Saint-Maximin less than 1 in 8 – clearly more interested in being a threat and showman than a scorer. Danjouma has the most similar profile to pre-Liverpool Mane that I have seen in recent seasons.
Which is why I said maybe it was a one off ;)

Any one with a quick tip how I can overcome the "This video is not available in your location." issue? :oops:

This was against Gibraltar, so don’t read too much into this - he looks every bit like a pro playing against amateurs. But just an interesting close-up look at his technique and dribbling style. Remind you of anyone?

BTW I initially missed the fact that he scored a goal in this game because in most match reports his name is listed as A. Groenveld. I think earlier in his career he usually went by the Dutch name, but now uses the Nigerian one more often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom