• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arthur Melo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has got Lucas written all over it.

1) A Gremio prodigy who was a box to box midfielder
2) Got to Europe and it turned out he could just about hold onto the ball in the middle of the park, and has been completely underwhelming.
3) That's about it

This has got Lucas written all over it.

1) A Gremio prodigy who was a box to box midfielder
2) Got to Europe and it turned out he could just about hold onto the ball in the middle of the park, and has been completely underwhelming.
3) That's about it

He's worse than Lucas as he's injury prone.

We're getting a shitter lucas

Stole this from Reddit, posted in November before this loan move was even a twitch in daddy Jurgans nut sack:

By comparison Adrian has been a pro for 17 years and not once in that time has anybody ever been willing to pay a transfer fee for him. So maybe they are onto something

Vickery

He goes onto say that Arthur is much more of a Guardiola midfielder than a Klopp one, and he’ll be glad to know I agree. But I guess the plan is that he’ll only be at Anfield a year and will cover Thiago, also more Guardiola than Klopp – though if we cast our minds back a few seasons, to him dominating Spurs when Barcelona visited Wembley, we can remember that there’s a serious player in there, and there’s no one better at unlocking talent than Klopp. Vickery also makes the interesting point that Brazilian midfielders tend to find it harder to excel in Europe than Brazilian defenders and attackers – and by the sound of things, we’ll get to see how he does, because that deal is, apparently, likely to go through.

Feels like we’re signing a Thiago backup here when we actually need the legs of Milner, Gini and Hendo from a few years ago replacing. Be interesting to see if two players come in.

In fairness, Elliott seems to have the legs of those three, again last night he was the only one who was hassling players and repeatedly tracking back to win the ball, which he did quite often, despite his perceived lack of physical presence. Jones hasn't been great, but we can now count him back in, so things aren't too bad once we get Thiago back.

I think it's an important signing - we need another midfielder and Arthur can be a good rotational player.
I worry about his physical prowess, but he's a good passer of the ball and will give us another option when the sick notes need time off.

What will be will be, we'll see how he does. For all the worries about replacing the legs in midfield and bringing back our pressing game, we've lacked a sharp passing midfielder for ages, thanks in no small part to Thiago and Keita's injuries. We need both styles of midfielder, so one is better than none.

The optimistic side says this makes sense. A simple loan to fill a needed gap until we get the “right” player(s). If Luiz, or others, are not the players we actually want, we don’t want to them on a 4-5 year contract.

I worry about him adjusting to the pace of the PL, but he can definitely provide depth for the CL (maybe some starts) before the world cup and the next transfer window.

Seems a smart and practical solution.

Vickery

He goes onto say that Arthur is much more of a Guardiola midfielder than a Klopp one, and he’ll be glad to know I agree. But I guess the plan is that he’ll only be at Anfield a year and will cover Thiago, also more Guardiola than Klopp – though if we cast our minds back a few seasons, to him dominating Spurs when Barcelona visited Wembley, we can remember that there’s a serious player in there, and there’s no one better at unlocking talent than Klopp. Vickery also makes the interesting point that Brazilian midfielders tend to find it harder to excel in Europe than Brazilian defenders and attackers – and by the sound of things, we’ll get to see how he does, because that deal is, apparently, likely to go through.

Sorry Froggy, I know you mean well. But with regard to Tim Vickery's opinion, fool us once, shame on you; fool us twice, and all that...

"He's an exciting player of a type that Brazilian football hasn't produced too many of recently. Of late their central midfielders have tended to be 'holders' who sit and allow the full-backs to push forward.
Lucas is different. He's a big, blonde figure whose power and physical strength comes with attacking ability.
He can pass well and loves to rumble forward. He gets on the scoresheet both with blistering shots from range and from bursting beyond the strikers."

Some of us haven't recovered from trusting Vickrey's opinion even now.

Sorry Froggy, I know you mean well. But with regard to Tim Vickery's opinion, fool us once, shame on you; fool us twice, and all that...

"He's an exciting player of a type that Brazilian football hasn't produced too many of recently. Of late their central midfielders have tended to be 'holders' who sit and allow the full-backs to push forward.
Lucas is different. He's a big, blonde figure whose power and physical strength comes with attacking ability.
He can pass well and loves to rumble forward. He gets on the scoresheet both with blistering shots from range and from bursting beyond the strikers."

It just seemed like he had never watched the player, or that he'd only seen him play as a ringer against some Brazilian team's under 10s.

This quote will haunt Vickery for the rest of his days. It's not just that he was wrong, it's that he clearly hadn't watched Lucas play at all and he was just repeating things people had told him.

It appears those people hadn't ever watched Lucas either.

This quote will haunt Vickery for the rest of his days. It's not just that he was wrong, it's that he clearly hadn't watched Lucas play at all and he was just repeating things people had told him.

Looks like he was just repeating stuff which Lucas's ma told him.

To be fair, he was way ahead of his time as a journalist.

This makes sense only if we're internally committed to bringing Bellingham (or a comparable alternative) in next season or in January.

It's a stopgap maneuver because we have the next move in play but can't close it.

If the above isn't true, this smacks of desperation and uselessness. I'll reserve judgment for a bit and be cautiously optimistic that we have something lined up with Dortmund but couldn't convince them to move up the timeline.

Bellingham? Aaaaaaaahahahaha ahhhh nevermind, I don't want to crush your hopes. Forget I laughed.

From this juventus forum: https://www.juventuz.com/threads/arthur.44321/page-161

They seem sad to let him go

From Barcelona to Juventus and then Liverpool.

I'm telling you guys, this average mofo has the best agent in the world.

Thank you Klopp and Liverpool

It doesn't even matter if it's as dry as a nun's crusty old cunt at this point - the important matter at hand is that we will not have to witness Arturd in a Juventus jersey this season.

LFC fans see him as Fabinho replacement HAHA

He is a technical player and quite good for possesion based football. He will suit Liverpool. Curious if he can adapt with Klopp Gegenpressing but if he can train well he will be improved there. They get free replacement and for Premier League standard his wage still normal
It's a win win solution for us and Liverpool

Best transfer of this mercato.

By far.

Wow, didn’t expect this move to even ever pop up let alone to also get concluded on the last day, really great news!

Finally a bit of luck to our side with this, can almost bet that after he becomes part of the PL hype we can already expect to have way more suitors for him afterwards, regardless if it’s just one good game and ten other mediocre ones we still should be able to easily fetch a €20M transfer fee for him later, doubt Liverpool will actually buy but we don’t necessarily need them to anyway, they already doing all the hard work to make the player somewhat relevant again, then there will be other rich midtable teams willing to pick up the scraps from them.

This makes sense only if we're internally committed to bringing Bellingham (or a comparable alternative) in next season or in January.

It's a stopgap maneuver because we have the next move in play but can't close it.

If the above isn't true, this smacks of desperation and uselessness. I'll reserve judgment for a bit and be cautiously optimistic that we have something lined up with Dortmund but couldn't convince them to move up the timeline.

Henry Winter tweeted he was looking forward to seeing Bellingham for us next season, so I'm inclined to believe (or hope) that some kind of deal is on the cards.

Looks like it means that Lucas will take the title for once and all off Rafa for generating the most discussions.

Sky Sports News' Vinny O'Connor at the AXA Training Centre:
"The plane landed a short while ago in Blackpool, Arthur Melo having boarded a plane in Turin around about 10am this morning ahead of medical to be completed with Liverpool over of a proposed season-long loan deal from Juventus.
"It’s much-needed cover for Liverpool in midfield after Jordan Henderson suffered a hamstring injury. He’s set to join the likes of Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Thiago as well in missing the Merseyside derby.
"Liverpool do still have Fabinho, Harvey Elliott and Fabio Carvalho available. Curtis Jones is available again, he was on the bench last night, but clearly extra cover is needed.
"It’s not the long-term target Liverpool might’ve envisaged or hoped for, but Arthur offers versatility in midfield areas. He can play as a box-to-box midfielder or the holding role, he can play as an attacking midfielder as well.
"He said before Liverpool played Barcelona back in 2019: ‘For me, Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs and one of the best clubs in the world’.
"He arrives at Liverpool with potentially a point to prove as well. his move from Barca to Juve hasn’t worked out and that could be Liverpool’s gain in this instance."

Haha ! We'll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom