• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2013-14

Red Astaire

Member Of 'The Toilets At The Harry Fan Club..
So some of the first warm up games are starting to roll in. England played Australia A in Hobart yesterday. Scoring 318-0 :D Cook pretty much doing what he normally does but it's Michael Carberry I'm most pleased for scoring 153 not out. Seems he is now strong favourite to open along with Cook for the 1st test in Brisbane. I prefer Root a bit further down the order anyway.

Apparently the Aussies deliberately did not field any of their big gun bowlers as they wanted to keep them hidden from England! - What sort of stupid tactic is that? 318-0!!! LOL

I'm less of a Carberry fan than you are. Anyone spending as much time as he's spent telling everyone in sight that he "ought" to be playing for England has a bit of a mountain to climb to get me onside. Let's just hope he can live up to his own hype if he gets the nod when it matters.

Sky are showing a 1hour highlights show on the free-to-air Pick channel every night. That'll do me.

I might stay up and watch when I'm off over Xmas though.

I'm gonna sky+ it myself, have to jump through some of it to watch it tomorrow but better than nothing!

He's changed his action, and he's a better bowler than he was 3 years ago. But he's still Mitchell Johnson.

The Aussies keep trumping how good Johnson was in the one dayers in India - but he went for nearly six an over and only took seven wickets in five matches - hardly earthshattering. Harris is the key for Australia although I doubt he will be as effective as he was in England.

If we get out of the Gabba with a draw ( we are shit in away opening tests ) it will be hard for Australia. Can't wait now

Anyone pulling an all nighter to watch this in the UK? @Portly I bet is! I'm recording it and am going to try to watch as much as I can tonight. The nipper is alseep, The bevvies are nicely chilled. I've made a camp on the sofa. I'm excited! Bring it!

BTW - I've not got massive hopes for this 1st test. The Gabba is the Aussies favourite ground and they haven'y lost in 24 tests. England always start poorly. The 1st session in particular is going to be crucial. I wonder how relevant the toss is going to be. I'd be nervous to bat first I have to say!

I'm going to watch the first session until lunchtime and then go to bed. I have set my radio clock alarm to Radio 5 Sports Extra so I can drift off to sleep to the sound of Aggers and Blowers, and I will be woken by the cricket in the morning. If England are batting first, I hope that when I am awoken, it's not Jimmy Anderson batting.

Blast! We lost the toss. That's a blow.

Come on England, rip through that evil Aussie batting order so I can go to bed with a few wickets under my belt! :)

Jimmy started very well. We will have these convicts out by the end of the day, don't worry porters old chap.

Clarke's book has a few words on DRS which I agree on and had said similar on here before. The two appeal rule is bringing an ugly element that is not really Cricket in to the game. They have to change the way technology is being used.
The intended role was to eradicate hollers, but they way it's implemented with Umpires call etc is very Ugly and will be exposed in a passionate series like this.

images

At what stage does hypocrisy become so massive that it transforms into pathetic childishness? . . . . . . . bearing in mind that it is hardly unknown for an Aussie batsman to choose to wait for the umpire's decision? :D

Had to go to bed early as up early this morning & got a driving lesson.

Woke up to this, Broad taking the piss!

At what stage does hypocrisy become so massive that it transforms into pathetic childishness? . . . . . . . bearing in mind that it is hardly unknown for an Aussie batsman to choose to wait for the umpire's decision? :D

I think us English (or at the least the English press) take the aussie stick a lot more seriously than themselves do.

Ryan must be loving this test thus far. On the bad news front, Mitchell J saved their bacon, and might derive some confidence from it. I do hope he's spraying the ball about like a mad woman's piss.

Before the start of the series, Clarke was going around telling anybody who would listen that he is a much better captain than Cook. Cook is apparently an over-cautious plodder, while he, Clarke, is a much better captain, being bold and imaginative.

After Clarke was out for 1 run, the next bit of deliciousness would be if Cook has a big innings when it is England's turn to bat. ;-)

Before the start of the series, Clarke was going around telling anybody who would listen that he is a much better captain than Cook. Cook is apparently an over-cautious plodder, while he, Clarke, is a much better captain, being bold and imaginative.

After Clarke was out for 1 run, the next bit of deliciousness would be if Cook has a big innings when it is England's turn to bat. ;-)

And, and! for Cook to edge a catch into second slip the ball after Clarke takes the man away and puts him on the boundary.

Haha
Did you notice how the aussie press have forgotten Warner's review against Swann when he edged the ball to second slip! Complete waste of a review for almost exactly the same " dismissal " as Broad but they seem to have amnesia about that.

Back
Top Bottom