• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Assuming Big Virg is out for 6+ months

Prefix for Poll Threads

What are your expectations for the season going forward?

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Challenge for League but fall short

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Top 4

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Struggle for Top 4

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the state of other teams' defences, the quality of our squad overall and the fact that we are (mostly) now the believers Klopp wanted us to become, I still say we've got as good a chance as any and better than most. Once years ago, injuries and one or two suspensions meant that barely into the first few games we were left with a CB pairing of Stevie Nicol (wonderful utility player but had always been a fullback or wide MF) and Gary Ablett (squaddie fullback). We ended up winning the league and setting a record for fewest goals conceded.

Stuff the rest of them. We are Liverpool.
Well said JJ

We all knew it was a gamble going into the season without 4 centre backs. The club and coaching staff will have known that. We were always going to go back to the market for a youngish CB next summer, many people believe the targets are already identified and being monitored this season. In reality this pushes the timeline from June to January but we should have a contingency plan in place.

Now we need to get through the next 10 weeks until Jan, thats the focus.

Van dijk can now take the kompany role, and support the team through this

We all knew it was a gamble going into the season without 4 centre backs. The club and coaching staff will have known that. We were always going to go back to the market for a youngish CB next summer, many people believe the targets are already identified and being monitored this season. In reality this pushes the timeline from June to January but we should have a contingency plan in place.

Now we need to get through the next 10 weeks until Jan, thats the focus.

Spot on. Only ourselves to blame.

Eko9lFDWkAcS_3c

In this multi-billion pound sport, why do we spend so much time trying to protect the referees ego/image. As others have said VAR should be the equal of the on-pitch referee. If the referee made a mistake or didn't see it the VAR should have the same powers. All this clear error referee stuff is not helping.

Rember everyone Kelly's Heroes roll on just like the tanks in the movie
Keep your heads up and keep believing YNWA

Ok - so who thinks we need a tactical change now that VVD will be out ? I have no doubt that Gomez and Matip are good defenders - but organisers they are not. So I have no idea how we will do now, but yesterday gave a clue that none of us can relax whenever the opposition have the ball and heading towards our goal.

10 weeks, with probably 40 games with how this season is set up...

11 in the league and 6 in Europe. If we do well in the early group games of the CL then potentially the later games are not important. So realistically 15 or 16 games.

Id be interested to see if Gomez or Matip has ever started 15 consecutive games for us, thats the concern.

Ok - so who thinks we need a tactical change now that VVD will be out ? I have no doubt that Gomez and Matip are good defenders - but organisers they are not. So I have no idea how we will do now, but yesterday gave a clue that none of us can relax whenever the opposition have the ball and heading towards our goal.

Yeah we are going to have to defend about 20 yards deeper with Allison and VanDijk out

We got a throw-in coach but might need to hire a heading coach too.

Part of the reason why we were soo good is because of VVDs heading ability, so good it limited dynamics of opposition tactics.

Now when teams play us they'll be thinking long ball tactics are back on the menu lads!

We got a throw-in coach but might need to hire a heading coach too.

Part of the reason why we were soo good is because of VVDs heading ability, so good it limited dynamics of opposition tactics.

Now when teams play us they'll be thinking long ball tactics are back on the menu lads!

Sadly, I don't think players can suddenly improve their aerial ability

All we can do now is look forward. I think rotating between the three of Gomez, Matip & Fabinho will be fine, but it will be when we bring in others due to injury resting we might be more challenged.

The introduction of Thiago and moving to the pivot with two holding midfielders will hopefully help - Fabinho & Thiago sweeping everything up in front of the defence might take some of the pressure off.

Also, lets not forget that often we perform best when teams attack us and if seeing no VVD on the team sheet encourages them to counter harder or in more numbers then we have the best front three in Europe who will be there to pounce. Both Sadio & Mo have started the season on fire.

Hopefully it will be better once Alisson is back in goal, but with Virgil out we're once again reduced to being put under pressure on corners and set pieces from teams that use them to their strenghts.

Even with him on, we don't look that great did we? Him and Alisson plays a bloody big role and without one is already a small up hill task, without both is going to be a super tough season for us. Top 4 and do better next season I say.

Has Oliver or any of the other refs come out and said how much they fucked this up, and apologised?

Why's everything quiet on the Koumetio front? I'm pretty sure there were soundbites along the lines of Klopp and the management being confident enough to use him as back up CB during pre-season.

Why's everything quiet on the Koumetio front? I'm pretty sure there were soundbites along the lines of Klopp and the management being confident enough to use him as back up CB during pre-season.
He's 17. When was the last time a teenager, let alone a 17 year old played meaningful minutes at CB for a top team?

CB is one of the most demanding positions to play in, tactically, physically and mentally. One mistake and your confidence is torn to shreds. Not to mention that there is no way a 17 year old would be able to handle the physical demands of playing CB against adult men. He'd get absolutely battered.

Not just from the obvious defensive point of view, we lose a dimension going forward with them diagonals he hits Mo and Mane with. Literally go from defence to attack in an instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom