• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aston Villa v Liverpool Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, beating Athens, Grasshopper and Malmo as part of their journey to success. They were a very very good side, but did they have the quality and depth, and sheer advantage of resources of this City side? No. Not even close.

Fucking hell. Maybe Forest should give City their two European Cups, as they deserve it more and are better.

THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED.

It's his too, he just agreed with me.

It's not too late for you
I agreed with you, but I think you missed my underlying point, that if this side wins the league, it should rightly be acknowledged as our greatest achievement.

Fucking hell. Maybe Forest should give City their two European Cups, as they deserve it more and are better.

THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED.
Again, obtuseness and a complete lack of subtlety of thinking. That is not what I am saying, but just create your own dialogue you fucking whopper.

Again, obtuseness and a complete lack of subtlety of thinking. That is not what I am saying, but just create your own dialogue you fucking whopper.

Post it on Blue Fume, they'll probably agree with you that, really, they should have Nottingham Forest's two trophies, and probably ours in Istanbul too.

Post it on Blue Fume, they'll probably agree with you that, really, they should have Nottingham Forest's two trophies, and probably ours in Istanbul too.
Oh shut up Brendan, you tool. There's very little point engaging with you at times like this.

I'm just jerking your chain.

I totally agree with the statement about it being a great achievement (greatest though?) if we manage to beat City to the title, and that last year's team put in a titanic performance and would have won the league in most other seasons. Absolutely true. But City were there, and did win it.

And also they will not win it eventually (hopefully this season), and whoever does win it (hopefully us) will have done so on merit, and not because Reason X, or Player Y injured, or Manager Z left or lost the plot.

That's the problem with "would haves" and "if onlys" - they work both ways and don't help. Of course there's loads of seasons when this team would have won the title multiple times - if y'know, we had a fucking time machine - maybe even as recently as the hilarious Leicester fluke. But we don't and we didn't.

And what I'm really getting riled about is any attempt to call this team our "Greatest Ever" when they haven't fucking won ONE league title yet.

That I will not abide and I don't care how good the cunts at the Emptihad are.

I didn't say they were the greatest side ever. I said arguably. Arguably cos (as I posted in that post), you can make a it feasible argument, they're that good.

I more or less agree with Brendan tbh, but the fact last year we did get more points than any other Liverpool side has done means you can make an argument.

As I said, that in & of itself is a massive achievement, that this side can even be spoken about in the same breath is remarkable, I think we can all agree with that & we can all agree that this debate will be much more fun if we can be having a more heated debate after the end of this season!

Yes, beating Athens, Grasshopper and Malmo as part of their journey to success. They were a very very good side, but did they have the quality and depth, and sheer advantage of resources of this City side? No. Not even close.

Which one was lucky enough to have Hodge as coach at the moment?

I didn't say they were the greatest side ever. I said arguably. Arguably cos (as I posted in that post), you can make a it feasible argument, they're that good.

I more or less agree with Brendan tbh, but the fact last year we did get more points than any other Liverpool side has done means you can make an argument.

As I said, that in & of itself is a massive achievement, that this side can even be spoken about in the same breath is remarkable, I think we can all agree with that & we can all agree that this debate will be much more fun if we can be having a more heated debate after the end of this season!

It will be a very welcome debate and probably not heated, given the performances of the last two seasons, if we have a European Cup and a league title to show for it.

And I'm not pretending that all our title-winning sides were that fucking amazing, there was deffo one title win* that surprised even our own players, given how mediocre we had been for a large chunk of it, but given they were so regular, and interspersed with European triumph, it's hard to be too critical.

*Can't remember which one, I think we were about 12th at one point though

Leaving aside the merits of various hypothetical arguments, this topic should not be discussed, or obliquely referred to, until this season is over. End of.

Leaving aside the merits of various hypothetical arguments, this topic should not be discussed, or obliquely referred to, until this season is over. End of.

It was being debated in bars & pubs across the city even before the CL win, cos loads of older fella's were saying they thought the side rivalled the best they'd seen.

It was being debated in bars & pubs across the city even before the CL win, cos loads of older fella's were saying they thought the side rivalled the best they'd seen.

A team that blatantly refuse to lose a footie game. That have players involved in Best players from Europe and Africa and even world competition. Best goalie in the world, best defender in the world. Current CL and European Supercup champs. It is allowed to debate this one.

My personal fav team was the one that was out of Europe so it is nothing black and white here.

The fact is that our teams in the 70s and 80s didn't have to beat a team funded by an oil rich state, and no doubt, with the strongest squad in terms of depth of quality in world football. We never achieved 97 points in a league season (even if we scale up from the old 2 points a win), and our number of goals conceded last year (if I remember right) was a club record low. So yes, we had a fabulous team back in the day that was dripping with trophies, but I don't believe we ever had to face such difficult odds. If we win the league against this City side it will rank our greatest ever league campaign. IMHO, of course.
Nah - you didn't remember right. 78/79 team conceded 16 all season. Last season was probably quoted as a record in the Premier League era

That of course, is true. It is shit, but it is true. But we ARE going to win it, and then there should be no debate.
Well it should also be taken into consideration that those teams played in very competitive FAC and LC games as well as the EC. And their squad was tiny in comparison to today's squads and yet even with fewer substitutions permitted it was still mostly only 14-15 players that accounted for most of the players appearances across all the games. To balance that though today's matches require a far higher level of physical fitness and expenditure.

The conclusion being .. it's impossible to compare ;)

Last edited:
Because you are a serial moaner. The only reason you didn't moan significantly in the match thread is because someone made a postmatch thread and you surely moaned there. If not that moaning would have come in the match thread and that is a fact!

And your moaning ain't even consitant. As I showed you earlier it is not that long a go since you moaned and bitched about Klopp as you wanted a manager that actually won stuff. And recently you even moaned about how shit Salah and Mane where cause they had a bad game (besides a goal and a assist between them) and all you wanted was a team playing well (not So important with winning then I guess as it was the middle of the 17 winning game streak).

This week you moaned that Lallana started a difficult away game in the midlands ahead of Ox (who has correctly recently Scored 3 goals. However not a single mentioning of Lallana actually scoring a game winner in the same period). Ox coming back from a year long injury and someone in the backroom staff, maybe even the "not -winning -stuff- manager", making a decision that a he might not have 2 games a week in him at this stage being totally ignored. And the moaning comes after we actually win the game with the reasoning "We might actually have dropped points" (If we hadn't won the game I presume then?)

Are you really surprised that you end up as a focal point?

Of course he's not, he's fully aware of it, as he has been for years, which is the point people make time and time again while he pleads his innocence that he isn't on a permanent wind up.

Been there and done that a million times, it's why I barely post anymore. I come back and the same stuff is getting posted, which more or less vindicates my reasoning for staying away.

One comment caused all this. One.
Serial moaner? more like thin skinned posters.

One comment caused all this. One.
Serial moaner? more like thin skinned posters.
I think you should ignore the posters who obviously hate you / your posts, but perhaps pay a little attention to the ones who like having you around and occasionally point out reasons that you tend to rub people up the wrong way (see Farky's recent post to you for an example of this).

I think you went through a phase of intentionally trying to wind people up, and perhaps you are still guilty of that on occasion. I don't think you're a wind up merchant though, and I think your contribution to this forum is still a nett positive.

Lately though, it seems that a lot of your posts are made with the intention to support a previous point you have made or trying to point to some evidence that proves you were right about something.

That can be a little annoying, especially when we are winning and doing brilliantly. It comes across a bit like childish point scoring.

I think you should ignore the posters who obviously hate you / your posts, but perhaps pay a little attention to the ones who like having you around and occasionally point out reasons that you tend to rub people up the wrong way (see Farky's recent post to you for an example of this).

I think you went through a phase of intentionally trying to wind people up, and perhaps you are still guilty of that on occasion. I don't think you're a wind up merchant though, and I think your contribution to this forum is still a nett positive.

Lately though, it seems that a lot of your posts are made with the intention to support a previous point you have made or trying to point to some evidence that proves you were right about something.

That can be a little annoying, especially when we are winning and doing brilliantly. It comes across a bit like childish point scoring.
I'm not totally unreasonable. Some know my stance on certain players and obviously just wanted to have a laugh by making it known to me that the two were starting in the pre match thread when the line ups were released. I obviously took it as a joke and didn't think it would matter, but after almost losing the game I just felt like I had to "tell it like it is". Obviously that was one moan too many.

Last edited:
I'm not totally unreasonable. Some know my stance on certain players and obviously just wanted to have a laugh by making it known to me that the two were starting in the pre match thread when the line ups were released. I obviously took it as a joke and didn't think it would matter, but after almost losing the game I just like I had to "tell it like it is". Obviously that was one moan too many.

Yeah, at the risk of sounding a bit preachy, I think that it will serve you well to truly understand where that urge to "tell it like it is" comes from.

In my experience, that kind of thing can spill into offline life if you aren't conscious of doing it and aware of where it comes from, and isn't a great trait to carry into any real world relationships.

If it's contained to the forum, it's pretty trivial and a non issue really.

I'm not totally unreasonable. Some know my stance on certain players and obviously just wanted to have a laugh by making it known to me that the two were starting in the pre match thread when the line ups were released. I obviously took it as a joke and didn't think it would matter, but after almost losing the game I just like I had to "tell it like it is". Obviously that was one moan too many.
I tagged you when I published the line up for precisely that reason. As you said, a friendly joke, thats all. I don't have a problem with Modo2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom