• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barrett saying we've bid 32M for Alex Teixeira...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Swedish newspaper talked to Sven G who is a manager of a Chinese club. He said that it is only the first step to sign players like Teixeira. The next step will be to get world class players to sign for them. Money won't be a problem. Players like Messi, Zlatan, Rooney.
Infrastructure, corruption and pitch quality are.

Also living in Shanghai and maybe cities like Nanjing, Beijing & Tianjin (both of those have serious air pollution issues though), Guangzhou & Shenzhen (you could easily live in Hong Kong and commute) are fine ... but what about all of the clubs based in more remote cities which are far far less attractive to foreigners ? Some of those guys are signing transfers without even having visited the city in question !

Also I can see tax issues for more than a few of them since most countries have a double taxation treaty with China (they pay lower tax at home but still have to make tax declarations - to not declare all income could eventually see them embroiled in Neymar/Masherano-like tax investigations), they are going to have to pay tax to their home country. Most Euro countries and the USA etc. have these treaties in place and some have Tax Information Exchange Agreements (TIEA) in place too - meaning they can exchange tax information on the person under investigation.

Last edited:
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney a transfer target for Chinese clubs too says Sven Goran Eriksson

The striker's former England boss, now in charge at Shanghai SIPG, admits he wants a reunion — and a £500,000 per week offer is believed to be in the works

Sven Goran Eriksson claims Wayne Rooney is the next big-money target for China’s football revolution.
Mirror Sport understands Manchester United and England captain Rooney will be offered a staggering £500,000 A WEEK to move to the Far East.
And Chinese football bosses are growing increasingly confident they will be able to land the 30-year-old striker once he reaches his next target of becoming United’s all time record goal-scorer .
Former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson, who earns £15m-a-year AFTER TAX as boss of Chinese Super League side Shanghai SIPG, insists Rooney and La Liga superstars Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi could all go to China.
In an interview with Swedish newspaper Expressen, Eriksson confirmed his interest in Rooney and believes his former England captain will end up joining the footballing talent drain to China from Europe.

“Who doesn’t want Rooney? But I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to leave Manchester United. Not for this moment, anyway,” said the Swede.
“Sooner or later, we are going to see names like Ronaldo, Messi and Rooney in this league — players on this level.”
Rooney has scored 244 goals for United and is just six short of beating Sir Bobby Charlton’s all time record. He has already become England’s record goal-scorer, again topping a total set by Charlton.

His United contract - which expires in 2019 - is worth £300,000-a-week and it would be difficult for any European club to afford him.

The Reds' executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has admitted they could use China to move on their bigger earners in the future.

Woodward said: “It’s very difficult to predict what kind of impact it will have. If nothing else, it is another useful market if we are looking to sell any players.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...chester-uniteds-wayne-rooney-transfer-7353973

Football may be big in China but fanaticism is founded on local legends. Until they find the next big local superstar like Yao Ming or Li Na, they are not going to sell any jerseys. You certainly don't see kids in Shanghai wearing Shanghai SIPG jerseys... I doubt anyone in Nanjing is dying for a Teixeira Jersey either.

Football may be big in China but fanaticism is founded on local legends. Until they find the next big local superstar like Yao Ming or Li Na, they are not going to sell any jerseys. You certainly don't see kids in Shanghai wearing Shanghai SIPG jerseys... I doubt anyone in Nanjing is dying for a Teixeira Jersey either.
Nah that's BS mate. Of course a Chinese star is always going to be more popular if he actually achieves anything (Yao Ming and Liu Xiang, the Olympic champion hurdler, are good examples) but that won't affect merchandising sales of foreign stars. Do British children not buy a Liverpool player's shirt because he's a foreigner ? You can find plenty of shirts in the markets with Messi & Ronaldo, even Gerrard and Rooney, on them even now. Popular with young children.

Of course copies are an issue but then that's the same anywhere. Many Chinese will now want an original simply for the prestige and because they now have more than enough disposable income to not be seen buying copies.

This Chinese "Super Lesgue" is a complete none starter - it's going to end up as an even shitter MLS. As someone pointed out there is one thing about the perception to moving the family to be living in LA , Miami, New York etc to Beijing, Shanghai or Tsing Tao.
You are not building one club like Chelsea, City or PSG in an attractive established League but a whole league. People seem to have the perception that top players at the top of their game are all about money , it's not, it's more about massive ego's - that's why it's a waste of time trying to attract them without CL even if you are willing to pay a premium.
This Chinese league is going to get the cast offs who MLS don't want, the next late down. Yes there might be the odd exception.

Cos we went for him publicly & that makes it look like they can bag a player we couldn't. At least that the only thing I can think of.
The scouts probably just buy based on Twitter feedback and got excited by the massive shit storm LFC mongs clamouring for the club to pay £38n

Nah that's BS mate. Of course a Chinese star is always going to be more popular if he actually achieves anything (Yao Ming and Liu Xiang, the Olympic champion hurdler, are good examples) but that won't affect merchandising sales of foreign stars. Do British children not buy a Liverpool player's shirt because he's a foreigner ? You can find plenty of shirts in the markets with Messi & Ronaldo, even Gerrard and Rooney, on them even now. Popular with young children.

Of course copies are an issue but then that's the same anywhere. Many Chinese will now want an original simply for the prestige and because they now have more than enough disposable income to not be seen buying copies.

I'm in Shanghai for cny now and I don't see any local team jerseys. I can't see why the kids would be overly excited

That said, you are probably right that it will make money. The amount of people here is just staggering. Shanghai alone has more people than a middle sized European country. It's a crazy consumeristic hours. There are crowds everywhere queueing for even the most mediocre fashion / food / gadgets.

And the one thing that many didn't factor.. Parents here treat their kids like fuking emperors. They go to all lengths to please then. Every kid seems to own an iphone6 when it costs more than two weeks am adults pay. It's the complete opposite of Asian parents outside China. Trust me, the kids that do want those jerseys - - they will get them.

I'm in Shanghai for cny now and I don't see any local team jerseys. I can't see why the kids would be overly excited

That said, you are probably right that it will make money. The amount of people here is just staggering. Shanghai alone has more people than a middle sized European country. It's a crazy consumeristic hours. There are crowds everywhere queueing for even the most mediocre fashion / food / gadgets.

And the one thing that many didn't factor.. Parents here treat their kids like fuking emperors. They go to all lengths to please then. Every kid seems to own an iphone6 when it costs more than two weeks am adults pay. It's the complete opposite of Asian parents outside China. Trust me, the kids that do want those jerseys - - they will get them.
Ha ha - it's CNY - time to dress up for the all the events they go to.

My wife and I have been enjoying how quiet it is now ! The roads are heaven compared to a normal working week. That will end this weekend, some back to work tomorrow but most on Sunday, so they'll be returning from wherever they went today and tomorrow. Just think, outside of holidays (when the population shrinks enormously with all the migrant workers returning home, other residents returning to their original home towns for the holiday and all the middle class leaving the city to go overseas) there are 25M in this city. It's crazy.

Too right with children - all spoilt brats now. Although the laws have just changed and people can now legally have 2 children (there were exceptions for some before allowing them 2 children) most of course still only have one - and 6 parents (parents and 2 sets of grandparents all dotting on the one child) and of course it's the grandparents that actually take care of the children in most cases.

Hey PM me if you are still here for a few more days.

Last edited:
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney a transfer target for Chinese clubs too says Sven Goran Eriksson

The striker's former England boss, now in charge at Shanghai SIPG, admits he wants a reunion — and a £500,000 per week offer is believed to be in the works

Sven Goran Eriksson claims Wayne Rooney is the next big-money target for China’s football revolution.
Mirror Sport understands Manchester United and England captain Rooney will be offered a staggering £500,000 A WEEK to move to the Far East.
And Chinese football bosses are growing increasingly confident they will be able to land the 30-year-old striker once he reaches his next target of becoming United’s all time record goal-scorer .
Former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson, who earns £15m-a-year AFTER TAX as boss of Chinese Super League side Shanghai SIPG, insists Rooney and La Liga superstars Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi could all go to China.
In an interview with Swedish newspaper Expressen, Eriksson confirmed his interest in Rooney and believes his former England captain will end up joining the footballing talent drain to China from Europe.

“Who doesn’t want Rooney? But I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to leave Manchester United. Not for this moment, anyway,” said the Swede.
“Sooner or later, we are going to see names like Ronaldo, Messi and Rooney in this league — players on this level.”
Rooney has scored 244 goals for United and is just six short of beating Sir Bobby Charlton’s all time record. He has already become England’s record goal-scorer, again topping a total set by Charlton.

His United contract - which expires in 2019 - is worth £300,000-a-week and it would be difficult for any European club to afford him.

The Reds' executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has admitted they could use China to move on their bigger earners in the future.

Woodward said: “It’s very difficult to predict what kind of impact it will have. If nothing else, it is another useful market if we are looking to sell any players.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...chester-uniteds-wayne-rooney-transfer-7353973
I do hope Rooney keeps 'fatting' his way around Old Trafford until the summer of 2019, sucking 15m a year out of their transfer budget.

According to Fanatik a Chinese club have offered Zlatan €50m a year in wages.

@Vlads Quiff nailed it earlier in the thread.

The culture , lifestyle et al that the top tier of footballers are accustomed to is unflinchingly western , I'm not sure quadrupling or more their salary will tempt many of the top top players to go east.

It's true. How are they going to adapt to life without cars? A lot of players won't like being carried around on bamboo litters. And a lot of hipster type players won't like replacing their beards with fu Manchu mustaches. There's no way they'll adapt to the mad Chinese ways of backwaters like Beijing and Shanghai.

It's true. How are they going to adapt to life without cars? A lot of players won't like being carried around on bamboo litters. And a lot of hipster type players won't like replacing their beards with fu Manchu mustaches. There's no way they'll adapt to the mad Chinese ways of backwaters like Beijing and Shanghai.
I bet some of the takeaways don't even do half chips half rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom