• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bernardo Silva charged by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're furious about the one match suspension. They think he should have been let off!

They want the club to sue the FA over this. Some poor fool decided to explain why the tweet was offensive, even if Mendy didn't think so.

He was soon put in his place by the woke ppl of the Fume:

[article]I know you're a group thinker with a herd mentality and I know that you're wrong on this issue.

In years to come people will look back on our current hyper-sensitivity to all things race related in the same way we regard Victorian attitudes to sex; 'what the hell were they thinking' they will rightly wonder. While there are non-thinkers like yourself who go along with every piece of bollocks that the current orthodoxy throws out, these problems will persist.[/article]

Got to say I agree with that last bit - and if Mendy didn't find the tweet offensive, who the heck is anybody else to tell him he should have? Paternalistic much?

Got to say I agree with that last bit - and if Mendy didn't find the tweet offensive, who the heck is anybody else to tell him he should have? Paternalistic much?

It is a fair point, and I'm glad you can say it here without accusing me of being a group-thinker with a herd mentality!

Yea but there’s always the guy that is the butt of these jokes and just grins and takes it for whatever reason.

Maybe because he’s new at the club, doesn’t know the language, doesn’t have other friends in the team or just don’t want to be seen to cause problems for the club but Mendy may very well hate this banter but says nothing.

mendy speaks english and has been there for two and a half years. they are good mates.

mendy speaks english and has been there for two and a half years. they are good mates.

I'm not saying those are the exact reasons, do you really know they're good mates. Have you ever had a good mate come out with something you didn't like but you let it go?

I'm not saying those are the exact reasons, do you really know they're good mates. Have you ever had a good mate come out with something you didn't like but you let it go?

happens all of the time. its generally the nature of friendship.

if you want to believe bernado was being racist then go for it. i just dont think he was.

Son breaks someones leg with a reckless challenge and could end their career, no ban. A person sends their mate a joke picture of them, they take no offence at it - 1 game ban. Yep, that's the way the world works now, best suck it up.

happens all of the time. its generally the nature of friendship.

if you want to believe bernado was being racist then go for it. i just dont think he was.

There is obviously a racial element to Bernardo’s banter considering he’s produced similar jokes twice on social media. If that’s cool between them fine but I’m just suggesting maybe it’s not actually cool but it has been let go for whatever reasons.

If SIlva had said what he said to Mendy privately, knowing Mendy would treat it as a joke, then its not a problem. But he didn't - he did it in a public environment, so, to be honest, Mendy's individual reaction to the comment is just about irrelevant.

If I was walking down a busy Granby Street, saw a black mate of mine and shouted out "Hi, you fucking n****" (which he himself does not object to, as we are mates and he knows I am joking) do I deserve to get my head kicked in?

(The answer is "yes")

If SIlva had said what he said to Mendy privately, knowing Mendy would treat it as a joke, then its not a problem. But he didn't - he did it in a public environment, so, to be honest, Mendy's individual reaction to the comment is just about irrelevant.

If I was walking down a busy Granby Street, saw a black mate of mine and shouted out "Hi, you fucking n****" (which he himself does not object to, as we are mates and he knows I am joking) do I deserve to get my head kicked in?

(The answer is "yes")

Oh he's definitely an idiot for making it public

(The answer is "yes")

The answer is "no". You're an idiot for doing it, but if being an idiot were a reason for getting your head kicked in we'd all be in hospital, not chatting sh!t on here.

I'm sorry JJ - I love you dearly, but I disagree with you totally on this.

If you say something that may be deemed racist in a public environment then you immediately open yourself for justified criticism and attack, even if the individual target of what you are saying does not see it as such.

I'm not actually arguing what Silva said was (or could be construed to be) racist - that is a different discussion - but I am saying that what he may say in private to an individual can have a very different impact and interpretation if he says it to the same individual publicly.

Tom,

Criticism or attack: certainly, hence my own reference to "you're an idiot for doing it". Where you and I continue to differ (and I rate you highly as a poster also), is in how to respond to such idiocy.

I've never bought into the principle that the best response to such things is by (even metaphorically) "kicking someone's head in" and criminalising such nonsense, for two reasons. One: I suspect it entrenches the racist mindset among those boneheads prone to it in the first place. Two: however unacceptable such ways of thinking may be to most of us nowadays, I am not and will never be in favour of attempts by any authority to tell us what to think, which strike me as Orwell's thought police come to life. Anyone shouting the "n" word in the street would be despised for it and backs would be turned in his or her direction. I don't think formalising that response would make it any more effective - and that goes double for any situation, like this one, in which the supposed victim has come out and said he wasn't offended in the first place.

But by making his comments public, the "supposed victim" went from being one person to the whole world. Unfortunately thats a line people, especially those in the public eye, have to manage.

BTW, as an aside as it is is not really relevant here - I am a supporter of Trotsky's approach to fascists (*) , which is "to acquaint their heads with the pavement"

(* fascists, NOT necessarily racists)

I do actually have an 'Ageing hippy' sweatshirt, which my kids bought me. :)

My mind is entirely taken over by thoughts of peace and love (except when I'm playing with my katana ...).

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom