• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best Sports Tournament in the Whole Wide World, Bar None

Bologna

Active
is the Rugby World Cup.

Discuss.

It's definitely my favourite event in the calendar. One of the main reasons is because it's every 4 years and the less you have of something the more it's worth. If it was annual then it's value would decrease

The annual events that take my fancy are the Tour de France and 6 Nations.

I'm right off me footy unless the red men or BFC are playing.

What say ye ?

I don't know where to start with this ... I think football in general is so poorly run that it's a bit of a joke so every single football tournament can fuck off.

I love the Rugby World Cup, but it's a bit predictable isn't it ? I mean if you look at Rafa's posts there in the World Cup thread, can you disagree that those 8 teams will be the quarterfinalists ?

1. Rugby World Cup
2. Champions League (when we're in it)
2. 6 Nations
2. Cricket World Cup
5. 20/20 World Cup
6. Football World Cup
6. Euro's

If i could include Lions tours and the Ashes, then they'd both feature very highly in my list (I'd probably rank the Lions 1 and joint 2 for the Ashes)

I think the NCAA College bball tourney is great ... In fact, the NBA/NHL/NFL playoff system is just fantastic - the regular season -> Meh. The intensity of those games is something else, and the noise levels of the NBA/NHL playoff games (mostly due to closed arenas) is something else.

[quote author=Dylan link=topic=46717.msg1393137#msg1393137 date=1314906635]
Ryder Cup
[/quote]

That's another one I'd have in contention. It's a brilliant weekend of sport. Every single minute matters

I'm looking forward to the Rugby WC but only the latter stages are interesting really, the group stages are largely pointless save a couple of games that will determine positions 1 or 2 in a given group. But that's not Rugby's fault, I find most 'World' events the same; not enjoyed a footy WC since 98, Cricket WC is a useless format that drags on for about 6 weeks, not arsed about the Olympics apart from the 100m Final, Champions League never watched unless we're in it, Euros didn't bother with the last one.
I don't know how many games there are in this WC but I bet you, once its over, there will have been about 4 or 5 really good games, if we're lucky, and that's it. Par for the course with these tournos nowadays.
I used to find the American disposition for insular sport a bit odd but now I live in Australia I get it totally. Difference is of course, no-one is bothered about Aussie sports outside of Australia but, all the same, I find those my #1 viewing these days, apart from LFC games.

Hmmm I'm guessing the Olympics don't come into this?

Still the Football World cup for me with the Rugby World cup a close 2nd.

Cricket can F*ck off. How can you put that in.

Ryder Cup is always excellant.

In Melbourne you can't help but get caught up in AFL, particularly in finals series.

Super Rugby & Tri-nations have their place as well.

Stanley Cup Playoffs in ice hockey. There is nothing else like it. I follow a fair number of sports and always get excited for the playoffs or tournaments but nothing has the thrills, upsets, physicality, grit, determination of the Stanley Cup.

Back
Top Bottom