• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Biggest Disappointments XI of the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan didn't say Balotelli was going to be great, did he? Surely not?

I never thought he was any good whenever I watched him, but uncharacteristically I started to get a little bit optimistic when he signed. Afterall, he had such a big reputation in football that he had to have some talent, right?

Nope. He just has Raiola as his agent.

Cf. The likes of De Ligt, Kean, Quaresma, Robinho, Pogba etc who are all overrated to fuck.

...and actually looked pretty ordinary in his first season. Yet another object lesson in not rushing to judgement about a player.

That's a very fine list, although I'm not sure Andy really had that great a reputation, nor did Joe Allen (ignoring Rodgers) really. No idea about Ilori.

Of course, I like it because you have included one of my very first bete noires - the utterly fucking useless cunt that was Chris Kirkland.

Signed after a gloriously rubbish season with his relegated club Coventry, in a classic case of "busy goalkeeper in a shit defence can make some good saves because he has to make about 30 a match". And sure enough, he did against us, as we fucking murdered them about 4-0 at Anfield, with Heskey running riot. And he made a good save, after letting in 4.

And so Houllier and Liverpool, in a classic bit of utter fuckery, first signed Jerzy Dudek for a record fee, and then broke their own transfer record FOR A PLAYER WHO PLAYS IN THE SAME POSITION - IN THE SAME FUCKING WEEK - and made Kirkland the most expensive goalkeeper in British transfer history.

And he was young! And English! And his fucking Dad put a bet on that he would play for England one day when Chris was in the womb or some shit.

And he was fucking SHITE. And don't get me started on his bad back, or "luck with injuries". The only "luck" involved in his injuries was that he had so many, and therefore didn't play for us very often. Lucky us.

He was slow as fuck. He couldn't kick a ball more than 10 yards. He had all the agility of an arthritic panda. He looked like a goalie, because he was skinny and rangy and gormless, but he was utterly, UTTERLY fucking useless. He had one of the worst shot:save ratios in recorded history; essentially, anything hit at a moderate pace that wasn't directly at him, was a goal.

He dived for shots like a fucking war-time lookout that had been shot out of a fucking tree.

And then we have that derby game. Lee Carsley scoring the winner with a goal that could have been stopped if we'd let someone from the crowd run onto the pitch after he'd hit it, and make the save.

The first Liverpool player I really quite hated because he was just so fucking shit, and everyone seemed blind to just how shit he was, apart from me.

I was at that Carsley match, behind the goal to the right in the Gladys St nestled deep in a throng of bitters. I remember hearing at the ground that Alonso had been dropped for Diao and feared the worst, but when that shot went in... I was sure I must have had some sort of weird matrix experience where time slowed down. Why had Kirkland taken thirty seconds to fall, like some massive felled Canadian redwood, groaning as it made its way finally towards the earth. Maybe my brain had gone into some weird HDR mode as like you say, I felt like I could have got over the hoardings and stopped it myself. Kirkland was unbelievably shit. Though I do recall thinking Rafa was a dickhead, disrespected the Derby and probably wouldn't last the season. This was three days after that night we'd beaten Olympiakos 3-1.

Here's a few I thought we'd get much more from:

Şahin
Litmanen
Kewell
Keane
Cole
Balotelli
Lallana

I was going to add in Lucas, but I think most knew he'd be shit upfront.

pretty much thread over in post 2. I'll now read the rest and see how much I've been wooshed

Calling out Arbelao is way beyond knobishness. He was pretty decent for us and didn't come with any great reputation. I think he gave a lot and we were a little harsh when RM came calling. He wasn't like he was Alonso, McManaman or Masher, he was solid, dependable and a little flawed. So when he got the chance to go to RM obviously he went!!

He DEFINATELY improved us when he arrived and was competent for his stay. He replaced Kronkamp, Josemi and Kelly for fucks sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom