• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brew's ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he moves and is able to strike the ball with either foot, and is a bit of little terrier. He most reminds me of Jermaine Defoe.

A natural predator in and around the box, dangerous from range too, with a variety of finishes.

I think we're in a difficult situation with him. I don't think it would do him any good sitting on our bench and getting the odd few minutes here and there. But if we believe in him, it means loaning him out for a full season and then persisting with Origi as back up for another year.

I can't see him playing was well in front 3, unless you're dropping Mo and Bobby. It's similar to how Studge (another 9) never played that well with Mo (especially) and Bobby in the team.

Mane is a more flexible player and can play well with any striker.
Defoe was my first comparison for him too.

I agree also with your point that he won't work very well with Salah, but I'd bring him back as first choice backup over Origi. Origi has hit a development wall, and will not proceed further. Time to sell.

Brewster is different from all 3 of our first choice attackers, but I think that might be a good thing. We need to add more variation to our play. Having a natural fox in the box can only add to that.

I have some concerns about him fitting into a three man attack as most players of his type typically thrive in 2 man attacks. I also agree with you that he'll probably not fit brilliantly with Salah because Salah is usually making a typical striker's runs, as opposed to a winger's.

That said, I think if you added another Mane like winger (say Ismaila Sarr) and added another technically brilliant midfield player (Thiago), you could offer significant variations to our attacking play. A three man attack of Mane-Brewster-Sarr is feasible, which uses the central midfield of Thiago-DM-Keita do the playmaking (as opposed to the full backs and Firmino).

Note that of course Steve Cooper would like him back at Swansea - however the next sentence (now highlighted) is the real meat of that paragraph.

I’d personally love to have him with us again next season. I know he’s fond of Steve Cooper having worked with him in the England set-up and I honestly believe that Swansea is one of the best places for him to be at the moment. If we do end up getting promoted to the Premier League then that would be even better for his development as I think a loan spell with a Premier League club would benefit him massively. I can definitely see him playing for Klopp’s Liverpool in the near future but a young player like Brewster needs to be playing consistently if he’s to keep on improving like he has done this season. I wouldn’t want to see him just sat on the bench.

I can't see any reason why Brewster can't play with any variation of our current three. He scores from left, centre and on the right, his goals and performances have not been solely through the centre, though that is clearly his preference. However our front three are so fluid that would suit him.

Mane - Brewster - Salah : probably best lineup.
Brewster - Firmino - Salah : as long as Robbo is playing I can't see this as any issue at all.
Brewster - Firmino - Mane : Works just as well as with Salah on the right.
Mane - Brewster - Salah
.......... Firmino ..... : another variation, giving a different problem for defenders to solve.

The main point though is that he gets goals (assuming he can continue that trend in the PL, since he hits the ball first time a lot I don't see this as an issue as although defenders may be faster in the PL they won't be given the time to close him down and we would be less reliant on our current front three for the vast majority of our goals.

The crux though is whether Klopp will offload Origi in preference for Brewster (or keep both). I can't see the later. Origi has better close control, probably better pace over 15-30m but not over 5-10m and although both have powerful shots Origi likely edges that too. Brewster though has a much better eye for goal and first time shots hitting the target (and a willingness to have a go), a proven metric for scoring goals. It's quite difficult to compare when the stats are so limited.

Last edited:
The way he moves and is able to strike the ball with either foot, and is a bit of little terrier. He most reminds me of Jermaine Defoe.

A natural predator in and around the box, dangerous from range too, with a variety of finishes.

I think we're in a difficult situation with him. I don't think it would do him any good sitting on our bench and getting the odd few minutes here and there. But if we believe in him, it means loaning him out for a full season and then persisting with Origi as back up for another year.

I can't see him playing was well in front 3, unless you're dropping Mo and Bobby. It's similar to how Studge (another 9) never played that well with Mo (especially) and Bobby in the team.

Mane is a more flexible player and can play well with any striker.

I think he'll surprise people how well he can play with Bobby, or in Bobby's place. He's been studying Firmino for ages, he admits he's obsessed with trying to learn from him, and some of that will be evident. The problem is that people, understandably, look at him playing in a team that doesn't have such a figure and just picture him playing like that in our team. He won't play for us like he has done for Swansea. He knows how he'll have to play for us.

Seeing his little improvised dink over the keeper last night I again came back to Fowler, but I haven't seen him develop nearly as much as others have.

Defoe was my first comparison for him too.

I agree also with your point that he won't work very well with Salah, but I'd bring him back as first choice backup over Origi. Origi has hit a development wall, and will not proceed further. Time to sell.

Brewster is different from all 3 of our first choice attackers, but I think that might be a good thing. We need to add more variation to our play. Having a natural fox in the box can only add to that.

I have some concerns about him fitting into a three man attack as most players of his type typically thrive in 2 man attacks. I also agree with you that he'll probably not fit brilliantly with Salah because Salah is usually making a typical striker's runs, as opposed to a winger's.

That said, I think if you added another Mane like winger (say Ismaila Sarr) and added another technically brilliant midfield player (Thiago), you could offer significant variations to our attacking play. A three man attack of Mane-Brewster-Sarr is feasible, which uses the central midfield of Thiago-DM-Keita do the playmaking (as opposed to the full backs and Firmino).

Excellent analysis.

And to be honest, if we played a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-4-2), I could see Bobby in a 10, and Rhian up top. Mane on the left. It's really just whether Salah would adapt his game and be a more inside forward or whether we'd need to play a Sarr type player on the right. Although all of this would probably be too much of a change for a team that's just won the league.

But i'd sooner call upon Brewster and Sarr, than Origi and Shaqiri next year.

Interesting to hear about Brentford. I've paid zero attention to them, and likewise all other teams, but I do know, without seeking out the info (calm down, Francis Bacon, someone told me), that they've established a sort of budget version of our techno staff in terms of squad assessment and transfer rating processes, so they seem quite intriguing.

Yeah, clearly a club with a plan. On the other hand, I went on a Swansea forum to try to find out what they think about Brewster and it seems like they had no idea what the club was going to do if they somehow got promoted. Now that Fulham has edged the other semi, it's going to be a battle of West London clubs for the final spot, which is alright with me. Both are quite progressive and attack-minded in their type of football and have charming little stadiums I could one day perhaps visit as a tourist when I'm London.

I think he'll surprise people how well he can play with Bobby, or in Bobby's place. He's been studying Firmino for ages, he admits he's obsessed with trying to learn from him, and some of that will be evident. The problem is that people, understandably, look at him playing in a team that doesn't have such a figure and just picture him playing like that in our team. He won't play for us like he has done for Swansea. He knows how he'll have to play for us.

I've seen Brewster play a few sumptuous long diagonal balls to the right flank (usually to pick out Ayew) – Mo would feast on those. The more I watch him, the more I think he's ready. But we do need one more quality attacking player if both Origi and Shaq leave.

Obviously a Swede fucking up...

That was so bad. There was so little danger in that moment and the defender made literally the only play that could have turned it into the goal. Grew finish by Brew, but that was seriously shite defending.

Agreed with that. His passing and movement in the Swansea videos are not just a goal poacher. I have to believe he has no assists, because others fucked up. I think his movement can work with any of the front three. He would be an improvement on Origi. Origi is a decent and mobile target player, but I cannot remember a single incisive pass from him ever. He can finish the hard ones and make some space for a shot from 35 degrees out from the left post.

I would sell Origi and keep Brewster and give hime time in 15-20 games and Prem 2. Prem 2 has not hurt Curtis Jones at all.

Both are quite progressive and attack-minded in their type of football and have charming little stadiums I could one day perhaps visit as a tourist when I'm London.
No one is ever going to get back inside a football stadium ... ever again, forever. We're f'kin doomed

Liverpool reigning league Champions from 2020 until Doomsday

No one is ever going to get back inside a football stadium ... ever again, forever. We're f'kin doomed

Liverpool reigning league Champions from 2020 until Doomsday
If that means they give the PL title as an annual event I'm good with that for the next say 20 years. Liverpool 40 titles to United's 20 has a nice ring to it.

Ian Wright, Defoe, Mbappe...why isn't he compared to Kevin Philips, Rush or Beardsley....racist bastards...
#BLM
Honestly I was about to post this exact style response as I was catching up with the thread. Glad I waited

I've seen Brewster play a few sumptuous long diagonal balls to the right flank (usually to pick out Ayew) – Mo would feast on those. The more I watch him, the more I think he's ready. But we do need one more quality attacking player if both Origi and Shaq leave.

Yes. Aside from injuries, it's a pity Shaq doesn't seem to have won Klopp's trust. It was interesting listening to Andy Lonergan's interview the other day - he said of all the players in the squad, the one player none of the keepers could cope with in training was Shaq, because he seemed able to hit the ball wherever he liked. Sad we only saw the odd glimpse of that.

Yes. Aside from injuries, it's a pity Shaq doesn't seem to have won Klopp's trust. It was interesting listening to Andy Lonergan's interview the other day - he said of all the players in the squad, the one player none of the keepers could cope with in training was Shaq, because he seemed able to hit the ball wherever he liked. Sad we only saw the odd glimpse of that.

I worry that if Shaq leaves then bad luck will come to this club - it seems that since we signed him - we win shit, like he is some lucky charm. The little guy has pin-point accuracy when striking that ball and is a creative force in his own right. I don't really want to see him leave, but as someone who was an established international for Switzerland - I think we have actually ruined him. I get Klopp does not want to use him that much - he becomes a defensive weakness but I do think he could play in both Salah's position and also do a job when Firmino is away. Everytime he plays and gets the ball I expect something exciting to happen, more so than with any other player.

I think Brewster is ready to make an impact. Last season was probably a bit too early for him, but his loan spell seems to have made him more focused and determined. I also think he sees a pathway to regular playing time given that Origi was poor last season.

I think with Brewster and Minamino, we have good cover for the central striking slot. It's time to move Origi on for a proper wing-forward like Sarr.

There is something about this lad.
If he stays injury free now and keeps getting games, we will have a player here.

Another 2 Goals..

Think this kid has a bright future..

Something handy about him... Really is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom