• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bringing in Sarr.. a deal to far ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure we need a player of his ilk. Especially when we don't use wingers and our wide threat comes from attacking full backs (which is where I see the value in the Lewis transfer). Someone who is also a goal scorer and not just a wide player, would have far more value to us. Someone with pace who could replace Mane or Salah and retain a goal threat, even if obviously reduced.

TBF though his goal scoring has been very consistent over his 4 season in France/PL : 5/5/8/5 so maybe he could up that here but that's not a given as Klopp obviously insists on everyone also committing to defensive duties, which could partly nullify his goal-scoring potential. The same also applies to Adama Traore btw - who's goalscoring record is even lower.

Very few players carry the kind of goalscoring threat from out wide like Salah and Mane. As @Woland said, it's a blessing and a curse because you just won't find a like-for-like replacement. Some fans assume Sarr is basically a younger Mane, based on superficial similarities, but if I'm right in that he is more of a winger type, this could still work in the long run if we have a goalscorer like Brewster in the middle rather than a creator like Bobby. What's not negotiable is that we need pace combined with skill in the front 3 because our model of play heavily depends on it.

Good point about Adama Traore BTW. He's being quoted for £80M and has scored just 24 career goals at 24 years of age. His assists tally is double his goals, for Sarr and Sane it's about equal, Mane and Salah – a lot more goals than assists. Wilfried Zaha is another comparable player – carries a lot of threat, but his numbers don't look all that special.

Last edited:
Rumour: Watford apparently ready to cash in. Price £40 mill.

From a finance standpoint is that something we would be willing to pay? £40m seems an awful lot for a player who scores 1 in 6 in the PL particularly in the current economic climate given we walked away from a proven talent like Werner. Watford only paid £28m for him last summer and its not like hes torn up the league.

Very few players carry the kind of goalscoring threat from out wide like Salah and Mane. As @Woland said, it's a blessing and a curse because you just won't find a like-for-like replacement. Some fans assume Sarr is basically a younger Mane, based on superficial similarities, but if I'm right in that he is more of a winger type, this could still work in the long run if we have a goalscorer like Brewster in the middle rather than a creator like Bobby. What's not negotiable is that we need pace combined with skill in the front 3 because our model of play heavily depends on it.

Good point about Adama Traore BTW. He's being quoted for £80M and has scored just 24 career goals at 24 years of age. His assists tally is double his goals, for Sarr and Sane it's about equal, Mane and Salah – a lot more goals than assists. Wilfried Zaha is another comparable player – carries a lot of threat, but his numbers don't look all that special.
Yes I agree.

However bringing in a winger and having a player like Brewster in the centre is a far more traditional formation than the fluidity, and therefore danger and defensive confusion it causes being unable to mark the main 'goal-scorer' out of the game. It would be quite a change to our tactics - though maybe an interesting option to have.

One has to consider though that the likes of Sarr (who I haven't seen much of and am basing my opinion mainly on his stats) and Zaha, who looks to have far more of the 'goal-scorer' about him than say Traore, would likely increase their goal scoring / assists in our team due to the increased amount of time spent in the opposition final third compared to the teams they play for now and of course the far higher quality of players / creativity around him.

Last edited:
From a finance standpoint is that something we would be willing to pay? £40m seems an awful lot for a player who scores 1 in 6 in the PL particularly in the current economic climate given we walked away from a proven talent like Werner. Watford only paid £28m for him last summer and its not like hes torn up the league.
Asking price. Obviously no team starts out with the real figure they have in mind. Considering they have just been relegated maybe they'd be happy to get their money back.

Just wanted to say that Mane was primarily a right winger when he played for Southampton and Red Bull. It was Klopp who permanently moved him to the left, playing him as an inside forward.

So, why shouldn't Sarr be able to play on the opposite wing as well?
Have you seen the guy shoot? That boy has a canon on his right leg. I'd definitely play him at left wing.

Last edited:
At Rennes, he played on the left quite frequently. And he scored 13 goals in 18/19. He had problems with injury this season with Watford, else I'd have expected him to be more productive. I think he's a big talent, and I'd love us to sign him.

There are other market factors reflected in Traores price, if he was playing for a club that had just been relegated and badly needed cash I think his asking price would be lower than £80m. As it stands hes a key player for a club that has plenty of cash and designs on pushing into the top 5 so hes priced accordingly.

OK I'm sold. Mane-esque at times, and on both wings (and doesn't look so much of a winger, more the old inside forward - looks as if he'd slip into our team without skipping a beat).
I feel like there’s a player there.

Is he consistent enough, has he proven it at the very top level against Europe’s best, has he coped with the demands of playing for a top club? No to all. But he seems to have a bit of X factor about him, there seems to be a good work ethic, the relationship with Mané can’t hurt, and he looks like someone Klopp could mould. In the 25-35m he looks like pretty good value... as it creeps above that more and more pressure will get heaped on

I'm not really sure what's happened to prices yet this summer, but based on the last couple of years £40m actually seems reasonable for a really promising young attacker.

I haven't really watched him much myself, but based on that compilation he looks exactly what we need and good value too.

The only thing is that, in respect of the Mane comparison, Mane was scoring at a higher rate even at Sarr's young age, with about a 1 in 2 ratio at Metz and 1 in 3 at Southampton. Sarr has a 1 in 4 ratio as it stands. He scored a few bangers in that compilation but I get the impression from his technique in that clip that he might be a bit wasteful. Still, at 22, there's plenty of scope for development.

The only thing is that, in respect of the Mane comparison, Mane was scoring at a higher rate even at Sarr's young age, with about a 1 in 2 ratio at Metz and 1 in 3 at Southampton. Sarr has a 1 in 4 ratio as it stands. He scored a few bangers in that compilation but I get the impression from his technique in that clip that he might be a bit wasteful. Still, at 22, there's plenty of scope for development.
And he's at Watford ;)

In Sarrs defence, Watford's finishing is largely why they went down. They couldn't convert chances all year. He deserved more assists from what I've seen of him.

Watford fans also say he was misused and undervalued by Pearson. They all seem to rate him highly.

He wouldn't be without risk, especially at over 30m, but we've got a decent record at improving wingers and there's enough quality in Sarr to make me confident we could make him a very good player.

Hes on a goal for every 5.6 games at Watford in the league. He had lots of time to develop as you say, but his finishing is not at Mané level. He doesnt strike me as ruthless or tenacious the way Sadio is, but maybe more skilful. For all his obvious talent Mané has a bit of mongrel in him, hes prepared to do the dirty work and wont be bullied out of the game, he never goes hiding. If you think of some of our best fightbacks and moments where games are in the balance to be won, Mané is one of the biggest drivers of that, hes relentless. I dont get that from vibe from Sarr at all, he seems like a very talented player but one who can easily drift out of games. If we do buy him hed probably be another that takes 6 -12 months of intense coaching to get to the point where hea ready for the first team.

When we bought Mane, the common complaint was he was a very streaky player at Southampton

Things change under Klopp

Hes on a goal for every 5.6 games at Watford in the league. He had lots of time to develop as you say, but his finishing is not at Mané level. He doesnt strike me as ruthless or tenacious the way Sadio is, but maybe more skilful. For all his obvious talent Mané has a bit of mongrel in him, hes prepared to do the dirty work and wont be bullied out of the game, he never goes hiding. If you think of some of our best fightbacks and moments where games are in the balance to be won, Mané is one of the biggest drivers of that, hes relentless. I dont get that from vibe from Sarr at all, he seems like a very talented player but one who can easily drift out of games. If we do buy him hed probably be another that takes 6 -12 months of intense coaching to get to the point where hea ready for the first team.
Don't worry - Mane will soon get him into shape and lay down the law.

Sarr thread on a Watford fan forum:
http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/ismaila-sarr.57245/page-9

They've done the maths and they apparently can't afford to keep Sarr at the club.

We haven't made an offer yet and I'm guessing that it's because we're currently securing funds in order to do so. Some players need to go before we make a concrete offer. I'm looking at Shaq and Wilson primarily.

Also the last post is quite telling:

Ágætis Byrjun
Given that Liverpool have set clear budgets for positions, such as a £12m ceiling for a left back, I don't see them making more than one offer for Sarr before packing in that idea.

Last edited:
If we're looking for a next Mane, Leverkusen's 21-year-old Moussa Diaby should be on the radar. He joined them a year ago from PSG for only €15M, seems more direct than Sarr and closer to Mane in his playing style. Raw, but pacy and exciting. 5 goals and 5 assists in the Bundesliga this season and 8 and 8 in all competitions. He's highly rated in France and consistently plays for all of their youth teams.

Last edited:
Yeah Moussa Diaby looks brilliant. Leverkusen will want a bomb for him though, and they won't be selling him now with Havertz leaving.

Yeah Moussa Diaby looks brilliant. Leverkusen will want a bomb for him though, and they won't be selling him now with Havertz leaving.
Does this also mean that if we buy him we can sabotage the Havertz deal?

Moussa Djenepo might be an option if £40 mill is too much, but he breaks down too often for my liking.

If we're looking at options for wingers, the ones I like best are Moussa Diaby, Jeremie Boga and Gabriel Veron.

Diaby looks like a big time talent, and very much like a left-footed Mane. I expect him to become the major star at Leverkusen once Havertz leaves. Can't see Leverkusen selling for a while for that reason.

Boga is ex-Chelsea, and presently at Sassuolo where he had a very good season scoring 11 goals. Mesmerizing dribbler, very Brazilian.

Gabriel Veron is the one who I think is the best talent in Brazil at the moment. He reminds me of Sterling a bit - short, strong, very quick and excellent balance.

Sarr is probably the most suited to make an immediate impact for us though, having already spent a year in the PL, and is probably the farthest ahead of the lot in his development curve.

Tete at Shakhtar could also turn out to be quite good, but we have a very bad history of negotiating with Russian and Ukrainian clubs (Konoplyanka, Willian, Alex Teixeira).

Daka at REd Bull Salzburg looks like a real deal. Can play as a wide forward i reckon we should go for him

If we're looking for a next Mane, Leverkusen's 21-year-old Moussa Diaby should be on the radar. He joined them a year ago from PSG for only €15M, seems more direct than Sarr and closer to Mane in his playing style. Raw, but pacy and exciting. 5 goals and 5 assists in the Bundesliga this season and 8 and 8 in all competitions. He's highly rated in France and consistently plays for all of their youth teams.

He was absolutely horrendous last night

He was absolutely horrendous last night
I didn't see him last night but the few games I saw him play in the Bundesliga since the restart I didn't think much of him.
He lacked composure and missed some sitters.
Small sample size though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom