• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

British & Irish Lions

Wales 15 - SA 20

What a game!

Well done Wales, just a little bit more clinical and the game was there for the taking.

Powell (motm) and Halfpenny both looked like they'd been playing international rugby all their lifes.

55-0 to us.

Kearney got two tries. Earls, Bowe and Heaslip all got one each.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=27836.msg718195#msg718195 date=1226175756]
55-0 to us.

Kearney got two tries. Earls, Bowe and Heaslip all got one each.

[/quote]

Naturally I didn't watch. Did you? How were we?

I think this will be our best chance in yonks to beat the ABs next week. I've got a feeling in my water.

I haven't seen it yet Doc, hoping to catch it tomorrow somehow.

But yeah, I think the "golden generation" hasn't really arrived yet

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=27836.msg717761#msg717761 date=1226162515]
Wales 15 - SA 20

What a game!

Well done Wales, just a little bit more clinical and the game was there for the taking.

Powell (motm) and Halfpenny both looked like they'd been playing international rugby all their lifes.
[/quote]

Your poster boy Jenkins got quite a shock against a converted hooker though.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg718668#msg718668 date=1226234945]
Wales 15 - SA 20

What a game!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wales did well in the scrum mate, especially when yo consider that the SA's have probably the best pack in the game. I don't seem to recall it was Jenkins needing to go off to get his face stitched up ;).

Did you watch the game? I can't believe we managed to lose it. I've never seen a Welsh team so dominant in a game against a tri nations team before.

I did see the game and yes, Wales held their own OK in the scrum, but I'd have expected a prop forward as good as you say Jenkins is to have comfortably outscrummaged a guy who hasn't played prop for years, and he didn't.

Still an' all, a good performance against a team who aren't world champions for nothing.  World Cup winners are a special breed.  Just ask Johnno, Wilko and Woodward. ;)

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg718909#msg718909 date=1226263481]
I did see the game and yes, Wales held their own OK in the scrum, but I'd have expected a prop forward as good as you say Jenkins is to have comfortably outscrummaged a guy who hasn't played prop for years, and he didn't.

Still an' all, a good performance against a team who aren't world champions for nothing. World Cup winners are a special breed. Just ask Johnno, Wilko and Woodward. ;)
[/quote]

Mate considering every time we've had a scrum against the SA's in the past we've managed to go back about 30m's, I'd say we did brilliantly in the scrum on Saturday :).

One thing that game did prove i think, is that if the B&I's Lions can gel quickly we should have a great chance against them next year.

Fair enough. I agree the Lions have a good chance, provided (a) the refereeing is strong and (b) the Lions themselves are prepared to fight fire with fire when the need arises. In that regard I like your earlier suggestion of O'Connell as captain, provided his form is good enough by then.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg718668#msg718668 date=1226234945]
Wales 15 - SA 20

What a game!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've always thought hooker was tougher to scrummage at than tighthead JJ.

And Jon Smit was never small for a hooker.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, Ross, but I'd have expected his lack - complete absence actually - of any remotely recent experience to count against him a lot more than it did.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg719630#msg719630 date=1226338416]
Wouldn't disagree with any of that, Ross, but I'd have expected his lack - complete absence actually - of any remotely recent experience to count against him a lot more than it did.
[/quote]

Jenkins wasn't helped by the referee allowing Smit to bind on the arm at, more or less, every scrum.
It amazed me that when the scrum did go down, Mr Rolland didn't think "hang on, maybe it's the very inexperienced tighthead that's responsible" and walk 'round the other side of the scrum to have a look see.

Wales should have won that game, for me the introduction of Hook (and I don't just refer to the interception he threw) was a mistake. He's been in and around the international scene for long enough now to have the confidence to control a game from 10. He still can't. Time and again he stood at 2nd receiver from the break down instead of at 1st. You could see the more experienced guys in the team having to fill that gap - Nugget, Shane etc.

Powell had a good game going forward but needs to work on his defence. He needs to hit more rucks and definitely tackle more (4 tackles in a game is not good enough for a back row). As for standing on the wing during phase play...
Going forward, I see Powell as a fantstic player to bring off the bech with 20-30mins to go - Much like Chabal for the French.

Bring on the All Blacks! ;)

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=27836.msg720220#msg720220 date=1226409992]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg719630#msg719630 date=1226338416]
[/quote]

Jenkins wasn't helped by the referee allowing Smit to bind on the arm at, more or less, every scrum.
It amazed me that when the scrum did go down, Mr Rolland didn't think "hang on, maybe it's the very inexperienced tighthead that's responsible" and walk 'round the other side of the scrum to have a look see.

Wales should have won that game, for me the introduction of Hook (and I don't just refer to the interception he threw) was a mistake. He's been in and around the international scene for long enough now to have the confidence to control a game from 10. He still can't. Time and again he stood at 2nd receiver from the break down instead of at 1st. You could see the more experienced guys in the team having to fill that gap - Nugget, Shane etc.

Powell had a good game going forward but needs to work on his defence. He needs to hit more rucks and definitely tackle more (4 tackles in a game is not good enough for a back row). As for standing on the wing during phase play...
Going forward, I see Powell as a fantstic player to bring off the bech with 20-30mins to go - Much like Chabal for the French.

Bring on the All Blacks! ;)
[/quote]

Powell was outstanding! He adds a much more physical aspect to our forward play and as of such whilst hes playing like this hes a must to start.

I read Gatlands comments on him before and after the game and he stated before he'd played his 1st international game that he had a world class number 8 on his hands in Powell. After watching that game and a number of his Cardiff performances i think hes right.

Did you watch scrumv? It sounded like Gatland gave the team a proper talking to about losing that game. I liked that, for to long the ex welsh management teams would have been patting the players on the back for a job well done, even though we'd lost.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=27836.msg720239#msg720239 date=1226411619]

Powell was outstanding! He adds a much more physical aspect to our forward play and as of such whilst hes playing like this hes a must to start.

I read Gatlands comments on him before and after the game and he stated before he'd played his 1st international game that he had a world class number 8 on his hands in Powell. After watching that game and a number of his Cardiff performances i think hes right.

Did you watch scrumv? It sounded like Gatland gave the team a proper talking to about losing that game. I liked that, for to long the ex welsh management teams would have been patting the players on the back for a job well done, even though we lost.

[/quote]

Until he ups his workrate at the breakdown, he won't be world class.

He's definitely improved his game this season - his body angle into contact has improved massively resulting in far less spilt ball. The ELVs help him a lot too.

Look again at the game and watch when Wales concede the penalty that makes it 0-10. Powell needs to hit that ruck and secure the ball - that's his job - and not just go to 1st receiver. If he does that, then it's still 0-7.
It's little things like this that make the big differences.
I'm sure Rhys Long and the analysis team will have picked up these things up, especially if I can see them.

Gatland was right to be furious at losing thr game, so was I when the final whistle went. The ball we had in the second half, coupled with then being down to 14 for a quarter of the second half. We should hve won that game without a doubt.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=27836.msg720255#msg720255 date=1226412779]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=27836.msg720239#msg720239 date=1226411619]

Did you watch scrumv? It sounded like Gatland gave the team a proper talking to about losing that game. I liked that, for to long the ex welsh management teams would have been patting the players on the back for a job well done, even though we lost.

[/quote]

Until he ups his workrate at the breakdown, he won't be world class.

He's definitely improved his game this season - his body angle into contact has improved massively resulting in far less spilt ball. The ELVs help him a lot too.

Look again at the game and watch when Wales concede the penalty that makes it 0-10. Powell needs to hit that ruck and secure the ball - that's his job - and not just go to 1st receiver. If he does that, then it's still 0-7.
It's little things like this that make the big differences.
I'm sure Rhys Long and the analysis team will have picked up these things up, especially if I can see them.

Gatland was right to be furious at losing thr game, so was I when the final whistle went. The ball we had in the second half, coupled with then being down to 14 for a quarter of the second half. We should hve won that game without a doubt.
[/quote]

Yeah i did notice and when asked one of the 1st things that Gatland said was that he needs to hit more rucks before going on to add that he had a fantastic debut. All that to one side though i can't believe you'd put him on the bench after a performance like that, we've been crying out for a dynamic/physical number 8 for years and now it looks like we've found one.

I hope that Henson is fit for the last 2 games, i think he could have made the difference in the game on Saturday.

A few points:

Peel/Cooper for the AB's game(I'd take Peel)?
Jones or Halfpenny for the last wing spot?
How do you think we'll fare against them?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=27836.msg720264#msg720264 date=1226413504]
Yeah i did notice and when asked one of the 1st things that Gatland said was that he needs to hit more rucks before going on to add that he had a fantastic debut. All that to one side though i can't believe you'd put him on the bench after a performance like that, we've been crying out for a dynamic/physical number 8 for years and now it looks like we've found one.

I hope that Henson is fit for the last 2 games, i think he could have made the difference in the game on Saturday.

A few points:

[/quote]

I never said I'd put him on the bench for the NZ game. Just that's where I see him looking ahead once Jonathan Thomas is back. We'll agree to differ on the Powell v R Jones as the long term No. 8.

Henson would have made a hell of a difference on Saturday - there was no creativity in midfield with Shanks and Roberts. I'm not hopeful of his participation in either the NZ game or agains the Aus. It's worth noting however, that Gatland had stated that due to restricted preparation time he concentrated on defence rather than attack in the pre-match training sessions. Hopefully we can look more threatening as the games go on.

Peel has to start for me, Cooper has gone back to his 1 and a half steps before passing thing. Peel's delivery was fast and direct. I would have liked to have seen Peel & Jones for 10 mins on Sat before bringing on Hook.
Halfpenny for the wing spot. I've never really rated Jones as an international winger - great for the Scarlets but the step up to Test level was always a bit much for him. That and he can't catch.
I didn't see the Scotland v NZ game, so I'm not sure how NZ are going. They struggled against Aus in HK. I would have rather played them this week as the Irish game will give their top players a good workout and get them used to the ELVs that we play in the Northern Hemisphere.
Should be a good game though.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=27836.msg720270#msg720270 date=1226414650]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=27836.msg720264#msg720264 date=1226413504]

A few points:

[/quote]

I never said I'd put him on the bench for the NZ game. Just that's where I see him looking ahead once Jonathan Thomas is back. We'll agree to differ on the Powell v R Jones as the long term No. 8.

Henson would have made a hell of a difference on Saturday - there was no creativity in midfield with Shanks and Roberts. I'm not hopeful of his participation in either the NZ game or agains the Aus. It's worth noting however, that Gatland had stated that due to restricted preparation time he concentrated on defence rather than attack in the pre-match training sessions. Hopefully we can look more threatening as the games go on.

Peel has to start for me, Cooper has gone back to his 1 and a half steps before passing thing. Peel's delivery was fast and direct. I would have liked to have seen Peel & Jones for 10 mins on Sat before bringing on Hook.
Halfpenny for the wing spot. I've never really rated Jones as an international winger - great for the Scarlets but the step up to Test level was always a bit much for him. That and he can't catch.
I didn't see the Scotland v NZ game, so I'm not sure how NZ are going. They struggled against Aus in HK. I would have rather played them this week as the Irish game will give their top players a good workout and get them used to the ELVs that we play in the Northern Hemisphere.
Should be a good game though.
[/quote]

Fair enough regards to Powell v Jones.

I couldn't agree more with you about both Cooper and Halfpenny. It was so frustrating watching Cooper take an age before either picking the ball up or making a straight forward pass. Halfpenny put in a very good shift considering it was his 1st game and hes only 19, I still think that Gats will go with experience though if Jones comes through the Canada game unscathed.

The AB's won easily even though they put out nearly a complete 2nd team, they never broke sweat for much of the encounter. I'd suspect that Henry will field a very near 1st team against us and unless we can put in a similar performance to Saturdays, we'll be on the back foot for most of the game.

I have no idea about wether or not Henson will be fit to face them, but one thing that i took encouragement over was that Shanklin was picked to face Canada, i took that to mean that maybe Henson has a chance to be in the starting line up. Otherwise 3 games in 3 weeks (could be 4) is a huge workload for Shanklin.

Good to see that Yapp and James were called up as well.

Kidney named the Irish XV for the All Blacks this weekend and made some interesting changes:

Ireland:

15 - Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster)

14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)

12 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)

11 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)

9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)

1 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)

2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)

3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)

4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)

5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)

6 - Alan Quinlan (Shannon/Munster)

7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

I expected some changes - Wallace back at 7 and Hayes at 3 to bring a bit of experience into the team which we'll need against the All Blacks. The selection of Quinlan is an obvious nod in that direction and it seems a little bit harsh on last weeks man of the match, Stephen Ferris. Best takes over at hooker, neither him or Flannery seems to have that spot nailed down so it's not much of a surprise. The one big shock for me, given the theme of experience, is the selection of O'Leary at scrumhalf over Reddan. He's very good, but I didn't think he was quite ready for this. Time will tell.

All Blacks

15 - Mils Muliaina (Waikato/Chiefs)

14 - Joe Rokocoko (Auckland/Blues)

13 - Conrad Smith (Wellington/Hurricanes)

12 - Ma'a Nonu (Wellington/Hurricanes)

11 - Sitiveni Sivivatu (Waikato/Chiefs)

10 - Dan Carter (Canterbury/Crusaders)

9 - Jimmy Cowan (Southland/Highlanders)

1 - Tony Woodcock (North Harbour/Blues)

2 - Keven Mealamu (Auckland/Blues)

3 - Neemia Tialata (Wellington/Hurricanes)

4 - Brad Thorn (Tasman/Crusaders)

5 - Ali Williams (Tasman/Crusaders)

6 - Jerome Kaino (Auckland/Blues)

7 - Richie McCaw (Canterbury/Crusaders) (capt)

8 - Rodney So'oialo (Wellington/Hurrican

Dempsey at Full back. Going for the free-flowing running game then?!

No Second Rowers on the bench too. Interesting.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=27836.msg720976#msg720976 date=1226496249]
Dempsey at Full back. Going for the free-flowing running game then?!

No Second Rowers on the bench too. Interesting.
[/quote]

Murphy hasn't really ever produced in an Irish jersey (I was going to say green, before realising what colour Leicester wear). Dempsey is a safe choice, it's understandable but I'd prefer to see Kearney at 15.

Quinlan can pack down in the second row if needs be, hopefully him and a second row don't get injured at the same time though !

I think this is our best chance to beat them Rafa, our backline is good enough to carve open most defences provided they get good quality quick ball. So that basically comes down to how quiet we keep Richie McCaw.

If we keep him away from our ball at ruck time we'll run them very close.

There's some brave talk from Eddie Jones in this morning's paper saying George Smith is (currently at least) ahead of McCaw as the world's best no.7. If he's right, you may indeed have a chance.

Get your money on us to beat the Aussies BTW.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg722771#msg722771 date=1226662176]
There's some brave talk from Eddie Jones in this morning's paper saying George Smith is (currently at least) ahead of McCaw as the world's best no.7. If he's right, you may indeed have a chance.

[/quote]

Why are you encouraging people to throw money away in the current economic climate?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=27836.msg722766#msg722766 date=1226661915]
I think this is our best chance to beat them Rafa, our backline is good enough to carve open most defences provided they get good quality quick ball. So that basically comes down to how quiet we keep Richie McCaw.

If we keep him away from our ball at ruck time we'll run them very close.
[/quote]

It should be a great game to watch hopefully.

Yeah like you i think it could be very close.

[/quote]

Thats going to be a bit to close to be betting on for my liking.

You Taffs are gonna eat your words. We'll marmalise the Australians in the front row, so they're going to get bugger all platform for their backs.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27836.msg723504#msg723504 date=1226697319]
You Taffs are gonna eat your words. We'll marmalise the Australians in the front row, so they're going to get bugger all platform for their backs.
[/quote]

Even when you do smash them up front you never beat them by more than the odd point or so. To close to call for me.

I've also just wasted a couple of hours of my life, watching possibly the worst game of international rugby that I've ever seen. The only bright spot was watching Halfpenny score a couple of tries.

You Taffs are gonna eat your words. We'll marmalise the Australians in the front row.

[/quote]

How much did you lose JJ?

Just a little more of what's left of my hair, boyo. ;D

A combination of things led to that result.  One - Deans has somehow managed to turn the Australians, with comfortably the sh!ttest front row in top-class international rugby, into halfway decent scrummagers.  Two - either our lot were actually sent out with instructions to throw caution to the winds OR I wouldn't have wanted to be in their shoes when they got back in the dressing-room to face Johnno.

Earlier in the day I'd had the dubious "pleasure" of listening to Campese spouting his usual BS in an "interview" on TalkSport by Andy Townsend and Porky Parry (neither of whom knows squat about rugby, even if Parry is of Welsh origin).  How I'd have loved shoving his snide little remarks back down his slimy throat.  Ah well, there's always the memory of how he must have felt in 2003 to keep me warm.

Back
Top Bottom