• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Calling Irish rugby fans

Judge Jules

6CM Addict
My nearest Premiership club, Worcester RFC, have signed Neil Best. When I've seen him in the past I've rated the guy, but I'm not really up to date with the current state of his career. Good signing or not?

I haven't seen much of him in a while. He was criminally left out of the Irish side then scuppered his chances with a lengthy ban for gouging. I honestly think he's got the potential to be Lions class, that's how highly I rate him.

I'd agree he was wrongly left out of the Irish side by O'Sullivan on account of O'Sullivan's predilection for picking his pack solely on set piece ability. There was a long time where Best should have been in the team ahead of Easterby but Easterby got the nod for his ability to jump well at 6 in the lineout.

I don't know if he was ever Lions class though Doc, and I think even an Irish place is well beyond him now. I haven't even seen him play recently to be honest but there's a long line of excellent back rowers ahead of him in the pecking order in the Irish squad (Ferris, Leamy, McLoughlin, O'Brien for a start) let alone a Lions squad.

As for the initial question, I know nothing about Worcester and what the team needs but if they need an abrasive back rower - who can carry ball and is superb on the deck and around the tackle - then they've made a good signing.

Worcester are quite strong in the back row as it happens. In fact their pack, without having big names in it, is quite strong overall. Their main problem is putting enough points on the board. Perhaps a somewhat odd signing on the face of it, then, unless they're thinking of moving one or two on from the current squad.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=38660.msg1043449#msg1043449 date=1264539442]
I'd agree he was wrongly left out of the Irish side by O'Sullivan on account of O'Sullivan's predilection for picking his pack solely on set piece ability. There was a long time where Best should have been in the team ahead of Easterby but Easterby got the nod for his ability to jump well at 6 in the lineout.

I don't know if he was ever Lions class though Doc, and I think even an Irish place is well beyond him now. I haven't even seen him play recently to be honest but there's a long line of excellent back rowers ahead of him in the pecking order in the Irish squad (Ferris, Leamy, McLoughlin, O'Brien for a start) let alone a Lions squad.

As for the initial question, I know nothing about Worcester and what the team needs but if they need an abrasive back rower - who can carry ball and is superb on the deck and around the tackle - then they've made a good signing.
[/quote]

Other than Ferris, I think he has the potential to be better than any of the other back rowers. He owns the ruck moreso than any of those players on his day. Has he still got it though? I haven't seen enough recently to say.

The signing has been explained in today's paper. Northampton have apparently snaffled Tom Wood, one of Worcester's current back rowers (who's just been called up for training with England Saxons), for next season, with Best coming in the other direction. Fair enough then.

Back
Top Bottom