• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can or Wijnaldum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I prefer Can at the moment as he is chipping in with some goals, however what I like here is that the competition seems to be making both up their game which is the ideal situation when you have a competitive squad.

I think I prefer Can at the moment as he is chipping in with some goals, however what I like here is that the competition seems to be making both up their game which is the ideal situation when you have a competitive squad.

Yeah, it's not that easy to call. I do t think either player has been exceptional, or made a convincing case for being undroppable, so when you say there is 'competition' it's largely because neither has been consistently impressive enough

Your point about Can is well made; goals from midfield are vital when you don't have a reliable top quality goalscorer, and he's scored three in his last few games. But there's also his slight ponderous style, which slows our play down, and Wijnaldum, while being very disappointing from a goals perspective, is much snappier with his passing and movement

It is a hard call, certainly

Yeah, it's not that easy to call. I do t think either player has been exceptional, or made a convincing case for being undroppable, so when you say there is 'competition' it's largely because neither has been consistently impressive enough

Your point about Can is well made; goals from midfield are vital when you don't have a reliable top quality goalscorer, and he's scored three in his last few games. But there's also his slight ponderous style, which slows our play down, and Wijnaldum, while being very disappointing from a goals perspective, is much snappier with his passing and movement

Yep - agreed. I guess my point on competition is more that they will both know that Adam comes back and one of them departs to the bench. I think you're right that Gini adds more to our attacks in form of fluidity and pace of moves, but Can seems a bit more effective at finishing when he is found in the box.

Wijnaldum goals return is a worry.

Think can can is / will be the better players once he gets back to full fitness.

Last edited:
Wijnaldum - he is currently contributing more to the team than Can on every level bar goals. Consequently the team as a whole is better and more fluent when he starts in what is Klopp's preferred position for him, as a fulcrum between the midfield and attack.

Wijnaldum for me, setting aside the last goal which he should have closed down I thought that was his best performance on Sunday so far and he finally looks as if he is bedded in and can kick on from here.

I think you and Brizzle have both nailed it. It's only really the goals of Can that are seeing him punch slightly higher. He's never been a big goalscorer though so you have to wager that he's just as likely to go on a long barren run without one and that this has just been a purple patch. Wijnaldum helps the flow of our play alot better I feel, but I do like Can.

I think you and Brizzle have both nailed it. It's only really the goals of Can that are seeing him punch slightly higher. He's never been a big goalscorer though so you have to wager that he's just as likely to go on a long barren run without one and that this has just been a purple patch. Wijnaldum helps the flow of our play alot better I feel, but I do like Can.

I think, deep down, I wish I could be more more definitive and correct about my opinion, and I'm not viewing my inability to do so as a positive that shows how much strength in depth we have.

I had Wijnaldum down as motm last week because he was o.k and almost everyone else was shit.
That's all he's been so far really is o.k.
He does his job quietly which is not the player we were expecting to sign.
I thought he was more of a flair player if somewhat inconsistent.
He was described as 'the Dutch Ronaldihno' at one stage.
It's all been very meh to me anyway.
Can is infuriating but he's a very good player when in form.
He just needs to release the football quicker and get involved more around the opposition penalty area as his passing is normally excellent.
Can has a higher ceiling so I'd probably go with him but if Gini can start adding goals to his game then it changes.

Wijnaldum - he is currently contributing more to the team than Can on every level bar goals. Consequently the team as a whole is better and more fluent when he starts in what is Klopp's preferred position for him, as a fulcrum between the midfield and attack.

This. I rate Can and think he has a big future here, but like you I'd say the team as a whole gains more from including Wijnaldum at the moment.

I thought when Can dropped back into the holding role against Leeds, he looked far more assured and commanding, which may be where he might find himself in the future. When he's higher up, I feel he doesn't always want to try to pick an opening, so he carries the ball instead and disrupts our play. When he's deeper he's more confident to play a longer pass and find the intended target.

I'm a little bit disappointed by the lack of goal threat that Wijnaldum has been thus far.

He's not great defensively but i like the way he plays in the middle of the pitch. He helps everyone around him but i'd like to see him take a few more shots.

Unless he's going to be a little bit more forceful Can probably gets the nod for me, but he's not without flaws

Can for me. I think he tries harder to get involved more through games, even if it doesn't all go right for him. Wijnaldum seems to drift through games too much, especially away from home.

I think the team has proven that we can score goals no matter we put out there.

We score with Firmino, Sturridge or Origi up top.

We score with Can in midfield without Wijnaldum. And the other way around. We score with both of them and without them.

So I dont think it is thw goal contribuition that decide who starts. Rather who help us keep the ball and controll the game. Hard call but I am confident both of them will be good. Lallana has been in crazy form and should be above both of them in pecking order.

Over the next month we need both of them and Grujic too!

Speaking of Grujic, does anyone know why he wasn't on the bench last weekend? After not starting or even coming on against Leeds during the week too, I thought it was a little odd he hasn't been involved while players have been rested.

Speaking of Grujic, does anyone know why he wasn't on the bench last weekend? After not starting or even coming on against Leeds during the week too, I thought it was a little odd he hasn't been involved while players have been rested.

Was not included in trip to Barça either...

Not sure. But Klopp did keep Origi on his own for a period just training and training. And when we needed him last spring he was really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom