• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chinese "Devil Virus" - anyone worried?

The Delta variant was one of the variants that popped up in Melbourne and pushed us in to lockdown- the other one being Kappa.

Restrictions easing today after 2 weeks.

This new Delta variant seems to be spreading like mad now..

We had a ridiculously crazy transmission rate of this unknown virus which was gonna get us all.
Then the Kent variant became dominant over here cos it was like 60% ( or something) more transmissible than a super transmissible virus.
Now we have the Delta/Indian variant that's 40%. More transmissible than the Kent variant.

A friend world from Borough council locally and said surge testing is being pushed out across Berkshire now.
Likely elsewhere also.

He's very gloomy about it all
English/Scot/Welsh fans getting drunk and watching the footy, lots of young people not vaccinated and so means increase in hospitalisation etc.

Thinks well be pushing back that 21 June deadline and likely back in lockdown sooner rather than later
Hospital occupancy and deaths look like they are remaining stable though.

Hospital occupancy and deaths look like they are remaining stable though.

If you just look at the North West of England, hospitalisations are spiking. Deaths are stable for now though.

If that's replicated across the rest of the UK then we have a problem with the risk of hospitals being overwhelmed.

e1d33e630e9dfd9fe46a9f014f84f64f.jpg

One month ago:

I personally know of people fully vaccinated with astrazeneca, youngish couples, both getting infected and being bed ridden. These are rich engineers in India, who are careful not to mix with random poor people on the streets. In one case they were on oxygen. That doesn't seem like an unlucky coincidence to me when vaccinated people in the same household get taken down. It seems like the particular strain they were exposed to and the viral load they inhaled was such that it gave zero fucks about the astrazeneca's hard work. I personally would err on the side of being scared and/or terrified.

Sounds like you know every movement they had in the 2 weeks before they got ill.

The more people who are vaccinated the less chance of those who have been vaccinated catching COVID. I believe the target % is 80% total of a population to prevent a serious outbreak. The UK is c.69% of adults and c.50% total, India is c.11% total.

Those statistics are like saying only 2 out of 10 penalties get saved statistically speaking. Then your man steps up and misses the first one, misses the next one, you don't put that down to statistics anymore. The player is just shit and should under no circumstances be taking the third penalty. Likewise by the same fundamental reasoning, the AstraZeneca vaccine is shit in the face of the Indian variant.

Thankfully the blood clot crap has led to the young people here taking other vaccines. A more even mixture of different vaccines in the population might be the thing that prevents me personally from dying, which is the most important thing.

One month later:

Dantes was right to be terrified because dantes is a stone cold genius. Nomad was not right to have faith in scientists that he was warned were stupid.

There doesn’t seem to be much doubt that cases are rising a lot due to the most recent variant. What is slightly different is that the previous link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths may not be there. It obviously used to be clear that when cases rose, shortly afterwards you’d have a rise in hospitalisations and then shortly after that you’d have a rise in deaths.

From what I have seen so far though, deaths have not really risen yet, which is the most important thing.

Hospitalisations have gone up, but I THINK that is mostly among unvaccinated people and most people are not being admitted as inpatients, so they are spending less time actually at the hospital.

Obviously that second point is important to keep an eye on, as the more people who present at hospitals, the less capacity there is for people with other problems, especially as more people are out and about.

If hospitalisations can be kept at a level where the health service is not overwhelmed then it isn’t quite so important how many cases we have, because people will get ill and recover.

I would imagine that the government probably will delay at least some of the easing of restrictions next week, and I would hope that it does so in order to ramp up the vaccinations, as it seems at least so far that they are working in preventing hospitalisations and deaths.

There doesn’t seem to be much doubt that cases are rising a lot due to the most recent variant. What is slightly different is that the previous link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths may not be there. It obviously used to be clear that when cases rose, shortly afterwards you’d have a rise in hospitalisations and then shortly after that you’d have a rise in deaths.

From what I have seen so far though, deaths have not really risen yet, which is the most important thing.

Hospitalisations have gone up, but I THINK that is mostly among unvaccinated people and most people are not being admitted as inpatients, so they are spending less time actually at the hospital.

Obviously that second point is important to keep an eye on, as the more people who present at hospitals, the less capacity there is for people with other problems, especially as more people are out and about.

If hospitalisations can be kept at a level where the health service is not overwhelmed then it isn’t quite so important how many cases we have, because people will get ill and recover.

I would imagine that the government probably will delay at least some of the easing of restrictions next week, and I would hope that it does so in order to ramp up the vaccinations, as it seems at least so far that they are working in preventing hospitalisations and deaths.
Agree with all of that, but I'd add that there are single jabbed people ending up in hospital as well.

We have around 40% of the population double jabbed. It would make sense to delay the 21st June changes to get more double jabbed. A delay of 4 weeks would take us to the point the schools and colleges break for the summer.

The problem is many of those people will still suffer respiratory damage, and become weaker after recovering. Meanwhile the virus will get stronger and more resistant. Then we have to go again for round two. My brain tells me the most important data we need is whether people vaccinated with the chinese, russian, or indian vaccines (traditional ones that use inactivated virus), we need to know if they get infected. Or if people who have had covid get re-infected. In either of those cases, we're all fucked.

It's sounding like there will be a delay to 21st June, but also seems that a lot of people aren't going to accept it.

My favourite so far is Andrew Lloyd-Webber who says he's opening his theatres on the 21st at full capacity regardless and is prepared to be arrested. I'd pay-per-view the fuck out of that.

Last edited:
One month ago:

One month later:

Dantes was right to be terrified because dantes is a stone cold genius. Nomad was not right to have faith in scientists that he was warned were stupid.
If you did these retrospectives on all the things you've been wrong about then you'd have no time to post anything else. Which maybe wouldn't be a bad thing.

The amount of time it would take me searching far and wide for those things, I dare say you'd be right.

The Indian variant has pretty terrifying complications. But I'm sure it'll be fine, because vaccine statistics. Yeah, it'll be fine. Delay opening up by a few weeks, that should take care of it. Yes. Nothing to worry about.

If you just look at the North West of England, hospitalisations are spiking. Deaths are stable for now though.

If that's replicated across the rest of the UK then we have a problem with the risk of hospitals being overwhelmed.

e1d33e630e9dfd9fe46a9f014f84f64f.jpg
Hospitalisations and Hospital Bed Occupancy are two different things though. The trend is that those who are admitted are younger and the turnaround is quicker.

Hospitalisations and Hospital Bed Occupancy are two different things though. The trend is that those who are admitted are younger and the turnaround is quicker.
Yes quite agree. It's all about what the modelling will show for the impact on hospitals if the cases rise exponentially.

Latest PHE data out today revises the Delta transmissible rate from 40% to 60% BTW.

The Indian variant has pretty terrifying complications. But I'm sure it'll be fine, because vaccine statistics. Yeah, it'll be fine. Delay opening up by a few weeks, that should take care of it. Yes. Nothing to worry about.

Is the mucormycosis infecting people because of the Covid, or the treatment? I had read that the Indian doctors were relying heavily on steroids and this was the reason that the patients were becoming vulnerable to the mucormycosis.

Yes quite agree. It's all about what the modelling will show for the impact on hospitals if the cases rise exponentially.

Latest PHE data out today revises the Delta transmissible rate from 40% to 60% BTW.
To be fair.. from a selfish point of view, I don't mind if its delayed. Means I'll have my second shot before the restrictions are lifted.

Is the mucormycosis infecting people because of the Covid, or the treatment? I had read that the Indian doctors were relying heavily on steroids and this was the reason that the patients were becoming vulnerable to the mucormycosis.

Not the covid, but the damage done to their immune systems and to the pancreas. The doctors are denying the damage was done by steroids, and are saying it is because the Indian variant attacks the pancreas. The stats will come out when it's too late as usual, which is why I'd be inclined to trust the intuition of the doctors who are using the processing power of their brains to make conclusions.

Not the covid, but the damage done to their immune systems and to the pancreas. The doctors are denying the damage was done by steroids, and are saying it is because the Indian variant attacks the pancreas. The stats will come out when it's too late as usual, which is why I'd be inclined to trust the intuition of the doctors who are using the processing power of their brains to make conclusions.
It's almost like this virus was man made...

Worryingly there are hardly any anti-fungal drugs out there, and very few are in development.

E3V72BFWUAMHj2z

It's all fun and games until the mutation decides to move to the steeper part of the graph. Meanwhile the borders are all open for business whilst Boris is waiting for the data to be available, in order to follow the data, once we have it, follow the science, be guided by the science, several weeks from now, can't be too hasty, have to wait, patience is key, give a chance for the data scientists to prepare the statistics, then we can act. Fuck me.

Last edited:

Right now you're putting the younger bit down to them not being vaccinated. I get it. One month later you will realise it is because the Indian variant is more infectious in young people.

Right now you're putting the younger bit down to them not being vaccinated. I get it. One month later you will realise it is because the Indian variant is more infectious in young people.

It’s because young people are going out noshing each other off after a year of celibacy.

It’s because young people are going out noshing each other off after a year of celibacy.

As if they weren't doing so all this time regardless. Those selfish cunts are a big part of why we're in this mess. No, I fear what you are seeing is that young people just shrugged off the lesser variants and never bothered getting tested. This time around they're not shrugging off the new variant, it's probably fucking up their pancreas as we speak.

If that's a seven star hospital I wouldn't fancy staying in a three star one.

I've spoken, at great length to people whose family have been affected. People who have friends and family that they've not heard from in years.
One lady has over 90 members of her extended family who they've not had any contact with over the past few years.

Have they been murdered and killed? I dunno but they are certainly in 'camps' for nothing more than being Uyghur and having political views. Views are not the same as any attacks. There is plenty of evidence to support this. Not from individuals but plenty of NGOs and think tanks, feel free to not accept these views as you have a foot in both camps and that apparently these are uncorroborated in your view.

The point is also this has been going on for years, I recall this over 8 years ago. Where muslims were not allowed to fast, pray etc. The lack of willingness to do anything has allowed this current situation to occur.

This isn't a case of a handful of bad apple guards it's millions of people forcibly detained, it's people who are abused and taken from their families.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps

If the genocide word is a little too emotive for you, then certainly the suggested above of ethnic cleaning is one you'd accept. As reported, plenty of the cultural, religious buildings have been demolished, this isn't hearsay or the west thinking China are baddies, it's satellite images. 'Educating' people into the language and belief system forced labour and worse.

Plus, maybe they don't want to clarify what is exactly going on for good reason!

re somewhere in the middle between two extremes.

At best it's forced detention, imprisoned against their will, sent to work in places far away from their homeland, forced to accept the ideals of the CCP etc
at worst- well as discussed before.

Either way, there isn't a it's a bit of both sides, somewhere in the middle.

My reply is going to be all over the place, as was yours, as I try to address your many comments. Also let me be unequivocal, I, in no way, condone this mass detention.

---------

Regarding your last point : Well actually that's exactly what it likely is. The vast majority are incarcerated and undergo re-education and Western media / politicians are totally unaware of the actual reality due to the very typical extreme secrecy in China. So you are postulating based on a guess.

You may be right, but there is no way to know that as it stands and using satellite images as 'proof' of anything is wild speculation except to confirm the presence of the camps or demolition of religious centres (the church that my wife & mother-in-law used to attend was demolished for not having the correct building licences and this is actually very common in China so it's no surprise whatsoever it's employed in Xinjiang, though likely to excess now).

And I agree with your sentence, which is to my mind the most probable scenario, since there are years of precedent demonstrating it is China's preferred method of political reeducation :
At best it's forced detention, imprisoned against their will, sent to work in places far away from their homeland, forced to accept the ideals of the CCP etc.
I continue to be amazed at how people in the West can be surprised at this. I can only assume it's because they are either totally ignorant of China's history or totally ignorant of how a communist country is run. That's the reality even though of course it doesn't make it right, by any consideration, and of course people that have lived under / governments that are run according to democratic constitutions will never agree with that form of government.

I'd like to know how you seem to be so involved (from your claims in the quoted post) with Uyghurs. I mean we have already established that you are racist (or at the very least display a racist attitude) towards China/Chinese (that I pulled you up on last time, no point linking to it again) so I'd like to see if this is merely an extension of that. I mean you haven't said a peep about North Korea or the outrageous rape culture in India or the Tutsi genocide or the multiple other atrocities I listed in my reply to a another comment above, but you have a helluva lot to say about China.

India-Rape-Stats.png

BTW you keep quoting BBC articles, in fact all of your links have been to the Govt. controlled BBC. But to clarify, the BBC actually have little or no better idea, of the reality of the situation, than anyone else, most of it is speculation viewed from a single standpoint ... simply because they, just like everyone else, don't have access. It's good media clickbait though.

These camps can only be seen from space, obviously no foreigners have access and the reports on widespread abuse are all from people that have a vested interest, in securing political asylum and the wealth of benefits that come with that designation. I've read quite a few of those reports and, as has been observed by other commentators, some of them didn't even mention abuse initially but then weeks/months later claimed rape, forced abortions, waterboarding etc. so considering the merit and numbers involved it's certain that some of those reports are accurate and others not, but in any event that's totally different from systemic government promoted abuse which is what the debate is with respect to. Note you (deliberately I assume) took my comment regarding 'bad apples' completely out of the context in which I'd set it.

Again, let me stress (because you love to take comments out of context) that's not to say all/many of the reports are inaccurate but that each one needs to be scrutinised because in essence these people are no different to those escaping from war-torn poverty stricken Arab states, and we know what happened / is happening there with regard to the accuracy of many claims. And yet you seem all too happy to accept everything re. Xinjiang at face value.

Clarity : it is beyond naive if you expect China to suddenly open up the doors and reveal all. China has never done that in thousands of years of history (and certainly not under the CPC !) so crying about how they haven't disclosed their government / military secrets is ridiculous. It's never going to happen and whatever the actual policy is, it will never be divulged.

However it's interesting that Chinese President Xi Jinping ended a three-day tour of the northwestern province of Qinghai on 9th June by stressing its importance (as the role model) for maintaining order in neighbouring Xinjiang and Tibet. Qinghai is a peaceful semi-autonomous province mainly inhabited by people of Tibetan or Mongolian descent.
If I were to attempt to decipher that comment it would be along the lines of : he's not happy with the attention on (or maybe governance of) Xinjiang and is stating that he is reigning in potentially rogue extremist elements in the military governing the province. At least that's my interpretation of his Sino-speak.

Tldr

I got to the bit where having previously denied what is going on agent Froggie says we shouldn't be surprised China are doing what he previously denied they were doing. And it's our fault for being surprised

Back
Top Bottom