• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Confirmed Transfers 21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mason Burstow - Chelsea

[article]We have completed the signing of Mason Burstow from Charlton Athletic, with the teenage striker returning to the Valley on loan for the remainder of the 2021/22 season.

Burstow joined Charlton in October 2020 as a second-year scholar from non-league Welling United and made his senior debut earlier this term in the EFL Trophy against Crawley Town. Coming off the bench late on, the forward scored with his first touch in professional football courtesy of a brilliant stooping header just two minutes after his introduction.

It took him twice as long to notch on his FA Cup debut with a low drive into the bottom corner four minutes after entering the fray against Havant & Waterlooville, with a League One debut following a fortnight later. In total, he has 14 appearances and six goals for the Addicks so far this season.

Burstow will continue his development back on loan with Johnnie Jackson’s side, who are currently 14th in League One.
[/article]

Islam Slimani - Sporting (free transfer)

Marcus Edwards - Sporting (€8m + Bruno Gaspar (permanent) and Geny (loaned))

Steve Bruce - West Brom (Manager)

[article]West Bromwich Albion Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Steve Bruce as its new Manager.

The experienced boss, who has four Premier League promotions to his name, has signed an 18-month contract at The Hawthorns.

Assistants Stephen Clemence and Steve Agnew, as well as coach Alex Bruce, join James Morrison and Gary Walsh in the club’s backroom staff.

Ron Gourlay, Albion’s newly-appointed Chief Executive Officer, said: “Steve is a highly-respected and experienced manager who has an impressive record of earning promotion to the Premier League.

“His excellent man-management skills, tactical nous, and ability to hit the ground running were among the many reasons we decided he was the man to take us forward.

“Promotion remains our objective for this season, and we are confident that with Steve leading the club we have given ourselves every chance of achieving that goal.”

Steve Bruce added: “I am delighted to have the opportunity to manage a club that has such great history and tradition. It is a club I obviously know well from my time in the Midlands, and I am already relishing the challenge of taking it forward.

“I did not envisage I would return to management this quickly, but once I got the phone call from Ron, I knew I could not resist the challenge of getting this club back to where they want to be.

“I am coming in with one aim and that is to get Albion to the Premier League.”[/article]

Douglas Costa - LA Galaxy

[article]The LA Galaxy have signed former Brazil attacker Douglas Costa, the team announced on Thursday.

Costa, 31, had been on loan at boyhood club Gremio from Italian giants Juventus, but, after relegation to Serie B last month, the Brazilian side is facing a significant cut to its finances. As a result, Gremio will loan Costa to the Galaxy for six months, at which point his transfer to Los Angeles will be completed, with his MLS contract running for another 18 months..

"I had heard many positive things [about the Galaxy]. I know that it's a winning team, but had not been winning for some time now. I take this as a motivator, to try something different and come here to bring LA Galaxy to the top again," Costa told reporters on Thursday.

"There are levels of good and he is the top level of good. We're excited to add him into our group," LA Galaxy coach Greg Vanney added.

Costa has played for some of the world's biggest clubs. In addition to his time at Juve, he had two separate stints with Bayern Munich. He began his pro career with Gremio in 2008 before securing a move to Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk in 2010.

After spending five seasons in Donetsk, during which he won 11 trophies, Costa made the move to Bayern, where he spent the next two campaigns. During his time in Munich, Costa won two Bundesliga titles as well as a DFB Pokal.

His stint in Turin with Juve was also prolific, winning three Serie A titles. A loan spell at Bayern during the 2020-21 season saw him claim another Bundesliga title. He returned to Gremio on loan but couldn't prevent the club's first relegation since 2004.

All told he has made 462 league and cup appearances, scoring 68 goals.

At international level, Costa has made 31 appearances for Brazil, scoring three goals. He was part of the squad that reached the quarterfinals of the 2018 World Cup in Russia.[/article]

Dave Galley - Newcastle (First Team Physio)

[article]Dave Galley has left Plymouth Argyle to become the first team physio at Premier League club Newcastle United until the end of the season.

He started work at Newcastle today and immediately had to deal with Javier Manquillo and England international Kieran Trippier after they suffered foot injuries in the 1-0 win against Aston Villa at St James' Park yesterday.

Galley had been working in a part-time role for Argyle since Nick Fulton took over from him as their head physio last summer.

He first joined the Pilgrims in December 2019 as the successor to the long-serving Paul Atkinson.

Galley is no stranger to working in top level football because he served as the head physio at Liverpool from 1999 until 2005.

He also carried out the same role for England under-21s from 1994 until 2013.

Galley was the head physio at Sunderland from 2010 until 2013 before having a spell at Nottingham Forest between 2014 and 2015, where was the head of medicine and sports science.

He later worked at Abu Dhabi-based club Al Ain and at the famous Aspire Academy in Doha, Qatar.

Galley was the physio for Senegal at the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations and also for England under-17s when they won their age group World Cup in South Korea the same year.
[/article]

Mark Hughes - Bradford (Manager)

[article]Bradford City AFC is delighted to announce the appointment of Mark Hughes OBE - as the club’s new first-team manager.

The former Manchester City, Southampton, Stoke City, Fulham, QPR, Blackburn Rovers and Wales boss arrives at the Utilita Energy Stadium on a deal until the summer of 2024, having taken charge of over 450 top-flight matches.

With over 150 Premier League victories and eight top-10 finishes, Hughes boasts a record of having managed the seventh-highest total of Premier League fixtures in history.

The 58-year-old Welshman guided Rovers to a sixth-placed Premier League finish in 2005/06, reaching two FA Cup semi-finals and a League Cup semi-final over three-consecutive years at Ewood Park.

He then took the Cityzens to the UEFA Cup quarter-finals and League Cup semi-finals, before achieving three-straight ninth-placed finishes with Stoke from 2014 to 2016.

As a player, Hughes began his professional career with Manchester United in 1980, scoring 163 goals in 473 appearances across two spells and winning the Premier League (twice), FA Cup (three times), League Cup, European Cup Winners’ Cup and Super Cup.

Having also served spells at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, the English Football Hall of Fame inductee and two-time PFA Players’ Player of the Year then spent three seasons with Chelsea, scoring 39 goals in 123 games and adding another FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners’ Cup trophy to his cabinet.

He will observe training at the club’s Woodhouse Grove base this morning, before taking his first session tomorrow (Friday) and being in the dugout on Saturday for the Bantams’ Sky Bet League Two visit of Mansfield Town.

Hughes said: “I am really pleased to be here and am looking forward to the role, and the job in hand. It has been an exciting few days.

“It is maybe a little bit of a surprise that I have come in, but do not be put off by that!

“I am here for a reason: to make Bradford City a team people want to come and watch - and are proud to watch.

“The supporters come in their numbers, and that is the thing I have missed since being out of management. I am looking forward to the matchday, getting that adrenaline flowing and interacting with the crowd.

“Certainly, from now until the end of the year, we just want to finish strongly and see where that takes us.

“We want to move the club and everybody with it forward, and hope we can have the success everyone wants.”

City’s chief executive officer, Ryan Sparks, said: “We are delighted to have secured Mark’s services, and I am looking forward to working alongside him.

“His record and stature in the game speaks for itself, and he has achieved a great deal. To have him in our dugout is representative of the club’s ambition and desire to be successful.

“Mark expressed an interest in becoming our manager and, following talks between he, myself and Stefan (Rupp), we are today thrilled to be in a position to unveil him.

“This is without doubt one of the most significant appointments in the history of our football club. Mark recognises our true potential - and has the desire to ensure we fulfil it.

“Mark will be provided with the tools he requires in order to achieve our goals - be that in coaching, recruitment, sports science, medicine or any other area.

“He is relishing the challenges ahead and has repeatedly proven himself to thrive at elite levels of the game, in high-pressure situations.

“I hope you can join us on Saturday, when we face Mansfield Town, so Mark can be given a proper Valley Parade welcome as he leads us into the closing months of the season and beyond.”[/article]

Kevin Thelwell - Everton (Director of Football)

[article]
Kevin Thelwell has been appointed as Everton’s Director of Football.

Thelwell, 48, will report directly to the Club’s Board of Directors, acting as the strategic lead for recruitment and all the Club’s football departments, including First Team, Academy, coaching, sport science, medical services and analysis.

Currently Head of Sport at New York Red Bulls, who he joined in February 2020, Thelwell was Sporting Director at Wolverhampton Wanderers between 2016 and 2020, and was previously the Midlands club’s Head of Football Development and Recruitment between 2013 and 2016.

With a glowing reputation for developing young talent, Thelwell guided New York Red Bulls into the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2020 with the youngest roster in the MLS.

As Sporting Director at Wolverhampton Wanderers and previously Head of Football Development and Recruitment, Thelwell orchestrated Wolves’ rise from League One in 2013/14 to qualification for the Europa League in 2019/20, identifying and recruiting players like Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, Adama Traore, Leander Dendoncker and Conor Coady.

Thelwell was Academy Manager at Wolves between 2008 and 2013, during which time more than 30 homegrown players made more than 1,000 first-team appearances for the club. Prior to that he was the youngest Academy Manager in the country at Derby County at 32 years of age.

Thelwell’s appointment is a key part of the Club’s ongoing strategic review of its football strategy and operation, which included the appointment of Frank Lampard as its new manager last month.

Commenting on his appointment, Thelwell said: “I’m so pleased to be joining Everton and to have the opportunity to play a part in the Club’s ambitious journey. I’m greatly looking forward to working with Frank and the players and to helping the Owner and Board achieve their long-term footballing objectives.

“The Owner, the Chairman and the CEO all presented compelling reasons for me to join this great club and I am really excited to have the opportunity to work with them all and to move Everton forward. I can’t get wait to get started.”
[/article]

Bit surprised at. They were linked with the Ex Spurs guy Hitchen weren't they?

Former Liverpool player Stig Inge Bjornebye is the sporting director at Aarhus.
[article]AGF sporting director Stig Inge Bjornebye has revealed he had an offer from England last year.

The former Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers fullback took the AGF job only after he had entered talks with an English job.

He told Bold: "It arose as such a type of contact now arises. I was sitting out in my garden one summer day with my daughter, where she asked me what is easiest to understand in Swedish or Danish?

"Then I was going to answer her, and then this is where the phone rings. That is (AGF director) Jacob Nielsen, and that is how the situation arose.

"They were in a situation where they lacked a sports manager, and I was actually on my way to England to become sports manager, and I was mentally prepared for that.

"It was about how the two projects were presented. The clarity of my role and the long-term strategy among other things, and it was not so clear in the second project. It is important to have a clear ambitions."

[/article]

Real Mallorca - Javier Aguirre (Head Coach)

[article]
Javier Aguirre has been named new coach of Real Mallorca.

The Mexican takes charge after Tuesday's dismissal of Luis Garcia Plaza.

Mallorca dropped into the bottom three for the first time this season last weekend after seven consecutive defeats.

Aguirre has been charged with keeping the club up this term.

The Mexican has coached 381 games in the Spanish top flight, leading Osasuna, Atlético Madrid, Zaragoza, Espanyol and Leganés.

[/article]

Valerien Ismael - Besiktas (Head Coach)

[article]Turkish champions Besiktas confirmed on Friday that they have reached an agreement with Frenchman Valerien Ismael to take over as coach.

Ismael, 46, who was fired last month by English Championship side West Bromwich Albion, penned a contract for two seasons with the option for a third.

The ‘Black Eagles’ won the Turkish league for the 16th time last season but are currently ranked eighth in the Super Lig — three points from the fourth qualifying place for the Europa League.

Ismael, who previously coached in Germany, Greece, Austria and England, replaces Onder Karaveli in the Istanbul-based club.[/article]

Ruud van Nistelrooij - PSV (Head Coach)
[article]PSV has appointed 45-year-old former striker Ruud van Nistelrooij as their new manager on a 2025 contract to replace Roger Schmidt who will leave his post at the end of the season when his contract ends.

Pursue a coaching career
After having hung up his boots in 2012, Ruud van Nistelrooij started a successful managerial career one year later. “It has always been my dream to be head coach at PSV”, said the former striker, who netted 62 goals in the 67 matches he played for PSV between 1998 and 2001. “I’ve worked intensively with Toon Gerbrands, PSV’s current General Manager, the past few seasons. I was convinced I could pursue a professional coaching career and originally thought I needed one more year to gain experience. But sometimes things do go their way and you find out that life is not completely manageable. This is the right moment to take the next step.”

A conscious choice
“A few things have come together the past few months”, explained Van Nistelrooij. “The appointment of Marcel Brand as PSV’s General Manager and the conversation we’ve had were the final push I needed to make a conscious choice and take this step. PSV are ready to embark on a new path this summer and I am ready to play my part. Talks with the board of directors have reinforced the idea that we are ambitious and look to create something special in the long term. I am excited for the task in hand at PSV.”

Coaching career
Van Nistelrooij has gained managerial experience as striker coach with the PSV Academy and as first-team assistant coach. He was appointed Under-19 boss with PSV three seasons ago before he was promoted to take charge as coach of PSV U21 last summer. The former prolific striker, scoring 35 goals in 70 games for the Netherlands, joined Frank de Boer’s Netherlands coaching staff as an assistant at the 2020 UEFA European Football Championship. He was also assistant coach of the Dutch national team from 2014 to 2016.

Highly confident
“We are delighted to confirm that Ruud van Nistelrooij is our new manager”, said PSV Director of Football John de Jong. “All of us, including Marcel Brands, who will be PSV’s new General manager this summer, have great confidence in his abilities. He is a strong, inspirational leader and his commitment and work ethic will be second to none. Van Nistelrooij has gained valuable experience within the PSV organisation but also with the national team and we are highly confident he is ready for his first senior managerial role. We are sure that he has a great and successful career ahead, with the backing of experienced Fred Rutten and the coaching staff.”

Coaching staff
In close cooperation with Ruud van Nistelrooij, PSV will decide in the upcoming months who will join the coaching staff. “The current coach staff and the first team-squad will keep on focusing on the core business: winning titles”, emphasised De Jong.

[/article]

Fernando - RB Salzburg (€6m plus sell on clause)

[article]Shakhtar's Brazilian forward Fernando Pedro will join the Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg early in the 2022/23 season. The clubs have finalised his transfer.

As a reminder, Fernando has been playing for Shakhtar since June 2018. In total, he made 69 appearances with the team and scored 12 goals. The forward is the scorer of the milestone 5000th goal in the history of the club. Together with the Miners, the Brazilian won four trophies: two Ukrainian league titles (2019, 2020), one Ukrainian Cup (2019) and one Ukrainian Super Cup (2021).

FC Shakhtar thanks Fernando for his contribution to the team’s success, his professionalism, spectacular play, and important goals. We wish him new outstanding victories and major achievements in his career![/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom