• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Corner taken quickly! (The Madrid comeback prematch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
As I briefly mentioned in another thread, I think we need a bit of a formation to counter Madrid, which partly means giving Trent enough cover for us to manage the game.

It also means leaving one of our best players out (Jota) as I think off the bench he can be most effective.

We can win 3-1 and take it to extra time.

Alli
Trent Nat Kabak Robbo
Milner Gini Fab Mane
Salah Firmino

I wouldn't play gini, and I wouldn't play Mane. We can't carry 2 such out of form players.

If we go with your system Id put Bobby at the top of a diamond at the expense of gini, and Jota in up front.

Then Jones in for Mane if he's fit.

‐-------‐-----------Alli--------‐-------
TAA--N.Baresi--Kabak--Robbo
----Thiago--Fabs--Milner------
------Salah--Frim--Jota------

These are the games we brought Thiago in for. Gini and Mane are off form. I'd play Milner for experience over the youth of Jones.

These are the games we brought Thiago in for. Gini and Mane are off form. I'd play Milner for experience over the youth of Jones.
Don’t Thiago and Fabinho look like they want to occupy exactly the same areas on the pitch at the same time?

I’d play Jones over Thiago. He’s more progressive and wouldn’t pick up a yellow in the first ten minutes.

Thiago seems much better coming on for the last 20-30 minutes in our system.

As I briefly mentioned in another thread, I think we need a bit of a formation to counter Madrid, which partly means giving Trent enough cover for us to manage the game.

It also means leaving one of our best players out (Jota) as I think off the bench he can be most effective.

We can win 3-1 and take it to extra time.

Alli
Trent Nat Kabak Robbo
Milner Gini Fab Mane
Salah Firmino
That is about the least creative midfield we could possibly put out. Thiago or Jones (or both) must start alongside Fabs. Of course I see you have Milner covering TAA.

A double pivot of Thiago and Fabs could also do that or simply Thiago replacing Gini, who is fine when we are controlling a game, however he doesn't win back the ball often and is one of the least creative of our midfielders, so the game is going to pass him by (as it did in Madrid).

At this stage and knowing we need someone at the head of midfield to help press and midfielders who can actually pass and hang onto the ball (we gave it away far too easily and far too often in Madrid) I'd go with :

Fabs - Thiago
.... Jones

Both Fabs & Thiago have good to great defensive stats so are fine covering for the other and we know both can go and support the attack.

However if we are using your deep lying forward in midfield so the FBs can overlap without fear of being left exposed then I'd go 3-1-2 and still without a place for Mane :

Milner ...... Fabs ....... Thiago

.............. Firmino

-------- Mo ------- Jota

All 4 midfielders are creative and can easily get the front two away.

That said Klopp is going to go 4-3-3 and start all of Mane, Thiago, Fabs + 1 (Gini, Milner, Jones, take your pick).

Last edited:
I think this match is setup for Naby lad

Alternatively - if the whole Madrid team goes down with COVID and they can't play, don't they forfeit the match 3-0?

Not that I've seen us play the last few months, but I'd play Milner. He's the closest we've got to Henderson, whom we miss dearly.
I haven't seen any news recently on our Captain, he must surely be be more serious than was let on.

Milner is getting on though, but I think we need his leadership on the pitch.
Too many soft touches out there.

No way are we coming back in this one. A full house under the lights I'd give us a puncher's chance. But no crowd and no Hendo = Real having plenty in the tank. Even if we score I expect them to go up a gear.

Spot on for me too, assuming that Jones can't play. Mane needs to be used as an impact sub, and we also saw the benefit Shaq can play in a similar role (let's do it before the 87th minute if we need a goal though?!)

Essential that we have Thiago & Millie pressing the fuck out of their deep lying playmakers - we made it too simple for them last time but have had a week to prepare.

What about:

Alisson
TAA Nat Kabak Robbo
Thiago Fabinho
Mane Firmino Jota
Salah

We get all 4 attackers in the starting eleven, and set up the central midfield with a 2.

What about:

Alisson
TAA Nat Kabak Robbo
Thiago Fabinho
Mane Firmino Jota
Salah

We get all 4 attackers in the starting eleven, and set up the central midfield with a 2.

It doesn't scream 'keeping a clean sheet in the first 30 mins' to me. After all, if we keep a CS we only need two goals, so keeping it tight and growing into the game is probably the wisest move. Would be risky to go for the juggular from the start and risk needing 3 or 4.

It doesn't scream 'keeping a clean sheet in the first 30 mins' to me. After all, if we keep a CS we only need two goals, so keeping it tight and growing into the game is probably the wisest move. Would be risky to go for the juggular from the start and risk needing 3 or 4.
Yep. Plus if we need an impact sub, we'd be clinging hopes on Origi being super sub again.

We saw in Madrid that the 4-3-3 didnt work particularly well and that Zidane had done his homework.
Probably need to change it up a bit to win this game.

We saw in Madrid that the 4-3-3 didnt work particularly well and that Zidane had done his homework.
Probably need to change it up a bit to win this game.
That was mainly because Klopp went for 2 engines and a headless chicken in the middle. Rather than at least one creative player.

we will come close to progress to the next stage but we just might miss out marginally due to some random mistake by someone.

Game plan will be to keep it tight, and get the first goal.
Fuckin Einstein at this me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom