• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henderson the captain of the premier league.

[article]
Jordan Henderson has contacted his fellow Premier League captains to organise a coronavirus fund that will raise millions of pounds for the NHS.

Premier League footballers were singled out by the health secretary, Matt Hancock, on Thursday for not “playing their part” by taking wage cuts since the crisis started. The Premier League held further talks with the Professional Footballers’ Association on Friday, with the outcome that players will be asked to take a 30% drop in their wages, via cuts or deferrals or both, in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Players and clubs, however, had earlier been involved in discussions over wage deferrals, reductions and how best to contribute to the NHS long before Hancock criticised their apparent inaction during Thursday’s government crisis update. With the exception of Newcastle, Tottenham, Norwich and Bournemouth, many clubs have been awaiting the outcome of the Premier League, PFA and EFL talks before announcing their proposed measures.

These include a voluntary crisis fund organised by Henderson, who has held talks with peers throughout the Premier League in recent days and whose proposal has met with wholesale approval.

The Liverpool captain’s idea is for Premier League footballers – who earn varying salaries – to contribute to a fund for frontline NHS staff. Banks have already been approached to take donations and the players will take advice from the NHS and government on how best to distribute the money raised.

Henderson is unhappy that news of his plan broke before the fund has been established. But it has the potential to raise millions for frontline NHS staff fighting the pandemic and will be separate to any wage deferrals or reductions agreed between the Premier League, EFL and PFA.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ts-up-premier-league-coronavirus-fund-for-nhs
[/article]

Good for Jordan

So whats this 30% pay cut the Premier League are asking for about? If its to make sure non playing staff aren't furloughed, or its to divert salaries to other worthy causes then that's great. If however it is just to make sure billionaire owners of football clubs are slightly less out of pocket then its fucking ridiculous - especially as it will actually be taking money from the tax purse that could otherwise be paying NHS staff,.

I think it’s to stop clubs going bankrupt. It’s most likely a deferral in salary until the money starts rolling back in.

OK - so the billionaire owners of Man City, Chelsea, Utd, even ourselves, save themselves a few quid ... great

The millionaire players are hardly missing out are they?

What about those clubs who are not owned by billionaires? Would it be fair just to keep paying their players full on salary until they didn’t have a pot to piss in.

I do think it’s a piss take that such organisations like football clubs can continue to pay certain staff £100s of thousands a week but expect the tax payer to pay for non playing staff to be in furlough.

Oh, I agree with you Momo, and I think all players should take a cut, but make sure the money they relinquish goes where it is needed - either to pay non playing staff who would otherwise be furloughed, or to other worthy causes such as local foodbanks (as LFC players already have), not to line the pockets of oil states, russian oligarchs or US sports franchise owners

Lack of football is whats driving me insane

I can't say I'm missing it. I'm missing watching us, but that's it. When I hear stuff like MOTD reverting to stuff like Lineker and his chums 'debating' things like the ten best corner flags or whatever it is, I feel a bit ill. Who the hell can sit though crap like that? Even the LFC offerings of old games - I've not the slightest desire to see them. They'd only make me more aware of what's absent now. Block the whole thing out, IMHO.

I can't say I'm missing it. I'm missing watching us, but that's it. When I hear stuff like MOTD reverting to stuff like Lineker and his chums 'debating' things like the ten best corner flags or whatever it is, I feel a bit ill. Who the hell can sit though crap like that? Even the LFC offerings of old games - I've not the slightest desire to see them. They'd only make me more aware of what's absent now. Block the whole thing out, IMHO.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same. Until it's back properly, they can all fuck off. And Lineker can stay fucked off, the smug jug-eared cunt.

Other than being on here and checking the guardian football page I don’t do anything else football related. I just can’t wait for it to start again and watch us play. I have no interested in watching something I already know the result.

I think funding for coronavirus resources should be raised by nationalising and liquidating United.

Oh. And the Tajik league is starting up if anyone needs a football fix.

Burnley have said they would lose about £5 million if the season is played out behind closed doors. That’s chicken feed if the season is cancelled/voided.

[article]“In addition, the Clarets face missing out on cash payments from the Premier League of up to £45m in broadcasting revenue and other items if the season is not finished. It is believed that other clubs could be looking at up to a £100m shortfall.”
[/article]

Which clubs would vote to scrap the season with those figures if they are to be believed?

Burnley have said they would lose about £5 million if the season is played out behind closed doors. That’s chicken feed if the season is cancelled/voided.

[article]“In addition, the Clarets face missing out on cash payments from the Premier League of up to £45m in broadcasting revenue and other items if the season is not finished. It is believed that other clubs could be looking at up to a £100m shortfall.”
[/article]

Which clubs would vote to scrap the season with those figures if they are to be believed?

Clubs that could be relegated or miss out on CL?

Missing out on the champions league may not be a valid reason.

[article]Uefa, Europe’s football leagues and top clubs have emphasised their determination to complete the 2019-20 season despite the coronavirus shutdown, with Uefa saying it may not accept clubs into next season’s Champions League if they have not qualified in the normal way.
[/article]

The chance of relegation maybe a reason but it may be a real gamble long term.

[article]Deloitte Sports Business Group estimate relegation to cost either club approximately £50m in Premier League distributions alone.
[/article]

It's all well and good discussing what would be better for the clubs and why they will want for the season to finish...

...however, that's going to be irrelevant. Things are going to be so fucked for such a long time that they won't be able to finish the season.

Void.

I hope Winter calls out every single club doing it and not just us.

It still is a cunts move by the club.

It's the very move, which together with the PFA resisting player wage cuts during their better late than never meeting, that will motivate the league to think fuck this, fuck you, season voided.

And as usual the fake news placing the blame on the club, for making profits, and not using them to pay the wages. Fuck off. It's nothing to do with the profits or our American owners. The issue is the club paying millions to players from their revenues, whilst going to the government to pay their admin staff. The club are having to do that for one reason, the players didn't have the decency to refuse their wages for a few months. The fake news will never say that about the players. The club can hardly impose it. So fuck the profit crap off, the club have no choice. Purely because the players are a bunch of utter cunts signed up to an even bigger cunt of a union.

If it was just football alone I could hndly a few months without it. But no F1, No Horse Racing,NBA,NFL even tried watching some WWE, but they are filming that at their training camp which is empty of fans. It's just wierd

I think the club and all premier league players need to take a good hard look at themselves regarding wage cuts...

Barca players are taking 70% wage cut whilst our PL lot are haggling hard balls over 30% cut? Embarassing!

Yes we know Hendo is spearheading an admirable collevtive whip round for team captains to look behind the sofa for some loose change for the NHS but why not also do what barca players did take a 70% or more wage cut to ensure club staff are paid from players wages... and when things go back to normal agree that those wages would be paid back in full, so they wouldn't really lose much overall. However If things don't go back to normal for a long time then maybe agree to write some or all of it off out if fairness because let's be honest these players are being paid amazing amounts of money just to keep fit at home.

I'm sorry but many of those people in the crowds who scream you'll never walk alone would love to have the option of living on 30% of £20,000 a week. And that's £20,000, who in the liverpool first team is sooooo poor that they are on just a measly £20,000 a week,!!!? Even sick note Keita is on £60,000 a week...

The whole thing looks bad, I get it that it's their money but, football is a spectator sport fuelled by the fans, they are nothing without the fans.

I would go one step further (admittedly idealistic) and say the wage cut doesn't just go to all to the club coffers that it's used as a thank-you fund for those regular season ticket holders to pay back the value of their season tickets whilst still keeping their season tickets. As I said we are living in remarkable times the players should understand that they live without fear of paying their mortgage or putting good on the table.

Last edited:
Disappointing decision by LFC.
As mwake says above, team like Barca, Bayern, Atletico and others are taking huge pay cuts to assist with salaries of non playing staff yet we decide on going the furlough route.
And it's not like our boys are being paid peanuts.

Really disappointed. Makes us look small time.

What can LFC realistically do? Their revenues have crashed like every other business, yet unlike a normal business they have to pay out millions upon millions to their playing staff. We're lucky not to go broke, let alone pay admin staff their full wage on top of it. In that position, if there is free money on offer from the government, the club have no choice but to take what they can get. This is all on the players being selfish cunts.

[article]Jamie Carragher has taken aim at Liverpool after they announced plans to place non-playing staff on furlough leave.

Just last month, the club announced that all matchday and non-matchday staff will be paid as normal for the remaining postponed four home Premier League games this season, an amount which is believed to total £1million.

But earlier this afternoon, the Anfield club issued another update confirming that further action had been taken with around a half of the club's staff being furloughed under the government scheme.

And although Liverpool will top-up wages to ensure all staff receive a full pay packet, that hasn’t stopped Carragher from hitting out at them over the move.

“Jurgen Klopp showed compassion for all at the start of this pandemic, senior players heavily involved in @premierleague players taking wage cuts. Then all that respect & goodwill is lost, poor this @LFC,” he wrote on Twitter.

Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to place its non-playing staff on furlough leave due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Earlier this week, Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich all announced plans to furlough some non-playing staff.

The Premier League was suspended indefinitely on Friday afternoon, having initially been put on hold on March 13, with Jurgen Klopp's side 25 points clear at the top of the table and just two wins away from officially being crowned champions.

But with health experts warning the worst of Covid-19 is yet to hit the UK, those same experts are predicting it could be some time before top-flight action returns. [/article]

[article]
A member of staff who works at Liverpool, and did not wish to be named, told BBC Sport: "The club call their staff their family - I'm not feeling like a family member.

"Why is a club that turns over [millions of pounds] using a government scheme for its staff, when other businesses are more in need of it?

"I feel disappointed and I'm feeling that this government scheme could be used by businesses in trouble."

The member of stuff added that they were "disappointed, especially after Everton said they were not doing it".

Liverpool said they were aiming "to protect the best interests of the club and our staff in both the short term and the long term, with all such actions being undertaken following various internal discussions".

The statement continued: "In some instances, further measures will follow only once all parties are in a position to proceed and updates will be provided as and when this is the case."
[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom