• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a mess of a press release. It reads like about five people all tried to write a version and then just cut them up and bunged them all in together. They should've just released a very short message that said 'sorry we got it wrong' and then had Peter Moore do an in-house interview to elaborate on the background stuff. This rambling thing is horrible.

Oh well, the important thing is we reversed it.
God yeah. Sounds like the first bit was the news and the rest was for shareholders

But also hopefully they know remember in a world where the only sports news is what happens in Belarus, any mistake gets full airtime

I feel slightly less dirty given the retraction but the fact that the idea was mooted, discussed, considered and then announced prior to the 'fucking hell, we 've fucked up big time here" gives me absolutely no confidence in the owners ever 'getting' what it is they own

Very, very grateful for them taking over from Gillette & Hicks, super happy with the sporting ownerships and disciplines they've introduced but FFS they've ruined 3-4 years good work with this stupidity as far as I'm concerned

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm happy and they've made the right decision. They've only U-turned because everyone had a massive go at them.

They're still lizards. I wouldn't be applauding them for doing this. They've just made bell ends out of themselves and gone back on it because they're worried about damaging the "brand" and they've calculated that to be a greater cost than what Furloughing would have saved them.

They're just money-making lizards. They didn't come to some altruistic epiphany. I'm just surprised they didn't realise beforehand that there would've been a kick off. I thought they were smarter than that. Guess not.

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm happy and they've made the right decision. They've only U-turned because everyone had a massive go at them.

They're still lizards. I wouldn't be applauding them for doing this. They've just made bell ends out of themselves and gone back on it because they're worried about damaging the "brand" and they've calculated that to be a greater cost than what Furloughing would have saved them.

They're just money-making lizards. They didn't come to some altruistic epiphany. I'm just surprised they didn't realise beforehand that there would've been a kick off. I thought they were smarter than that. Guess not.
Lizards (aka capitalist ruling class) will always be lizards. They do not do anything out of altruism, anything they give up is given up as a result of pressure. That's why Trade Unions exist - we'd still be on 80 hour weeks, with12 year olds going down the mines, no votes for women or working class men, no NHS etc etc if they hadn't been pressurised to give it up, and given half a chance they will (and continually try to) grab it all back, unless the pressure is maintained or until they are replaced

The headline is misleading. He said he CANNOT imagine us NOT being crowned champions. Not will be.

But with the pressure from sky, bt and international broadcasters there is no option but to resume the season. We will win it on the pitch.

DAZN have held discussions with the premier league about withholding payments until it starts up again. They hold the broadcasting rights in Canada, Brazil and some East Asian countries.

The headline is misleading. He said he CANNOT imagine us NOT being crowned champions. Not will be.

But with the pressure from sky, bt and international broadcasters there is no option but to resume the season. We will win it on the pitch.

DAZN have held discussions with the premier league about withholding payments until it starts up again. They hold the broadcasting rights in Canada, Brazil and some East Asian countries.

Yeah, saw it after I read it, its a bit misleading. But the pressure from UEFA will help as well.

While I agree with the club reversing the furlough decision.

To put into context why they made the decision in the first place using financial figures upto May 2019

We had free cash at that time of £38m
We had an annual wage bill of £309m (excluding LTIPs for directors)

Everything else is quite small in comparison.

With turnover significantly reduced, it's only natural that a business seek options to protect its cash position.

What we really need if the players arent willing to take pay cuts, is for some of the pay to be redirected (fairly) to non-playing staff.

As owners, they won't be allowed to just pump money into the club due to financial fair play.

Although I'm sure City will have found a loophole.

To put into context why they made the decision in the first place using financial figures upto May 2019

With turnover significantly reduced, it's only natural that a business seek options to protect its cash position.

What we really need if the players arent willing to take pay cuts, is for some of the pay to be redirected (fairly) to non-playing staff.

As owners, they won't be allowed to just pump money into the club due to financial fair play.

Yes, that loophole being HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF POUNDS WORTH OF OIL MONEY

I'm fairly sure being able to show in the accounts that the money coming in is to offset the lost wages of staff during the pandemic will be one of the allowed exceptions, of which there will inevitably be many related to this pandemic.

UEFA announced a while back they were suspending some ffp to allow owners to put money in during covid.

The players are negotiating pay cuts as we speak. They are concerned that if they agree to the cuts, then the £25m savings per month will just go toward making the owners richer. So they are rightly concerned that the £25m is used for a better cause. The owners get that £25m from the tv companies and match days? Which in turn comes from the fans? Oh well fuck them in that case, just charge them and get the £25m anyway, I'm sure they can afford it. Then once it's in our accounts, where it belongs, we are mindful that it gets used for a good cause. Because you see, we're footballers, we care, unlike the owners who just want to get rich.

Makes total sense now.

The money has to carry on going into the players accounts, because they will use it for good causes, (like hiring prostitutes during the lockdown, wait what, nothing), as long as it's in their account, then rest assured the right thing will get done.

I was sad when I heard my childhood hero Barnes was a conservative, why Barnes why?

The problem is his unequivocal support for the club means he is often blindsided by what is right and what is wrong.

Most fans were critical of fsg decision and so were 99% of the ex players, except Barnesy

He did get this one wrong initially , but in my experience it simply isn't true that he is "often blindsided". On the contrary his views are mostly balanced and not mindlessly partisan, and I don't even think that was the problem this time. Nobody gets every judgment call right.

I wish I could withhold payments from DAZN. Paid for a year up front at the beginning of the season and there is nothing on there worth watching right now. They had better extend me a couple months.

Month-to-month subscribers can pause their payments but not annual subscribers.

I have Sky Sports via Now TV and it’s exactly the same. I got it for £120 for 10 months to last the season. I’ve had nothing from them with it being extended till the end of the actual season.

Lizards (aka capitalist ruling class) will always be lizards. They do not do anything out of altruism, anything they give up is given up as a result of pressure. That's why Trade Unions exist - we'd still be on 80 hour weeks, with12 year olds going down the mines, no votes for women or working class men, no NHS etc etc if they hadn't been pressurised to give it up, and given half a chance they will (and continually try to) grab it all back, unless the pressure is maintained or until they are replaced

You must think investment banks are incredibly altruistic towards their workers.

Spain are starting to gear up to restart their season.

[article]
Spain is preparing a protocol for clubs’ return to training with three proposed dates for La Liga to restart: 28 May, 6 June and 28 June. Matches are expected to be played behind closed doors and European games would take place in parallel or at the end of the domestic season.

The plans were revealed on Tuesday by the president of La Liga, Javier Tebas, who said the possibility of annulling the season was not being considered by Europe’s major leagues. He added there were no plans for Spain’s top-division clubs to play away from their stadiums but that some could be forced to do so because of scheduled building work.

La Liga is aware it remains in the hands of the health authorities and a lockdown will be in force until 26 April at the earliest. But Tebas, who is in near daily contact with Uefa, the European Club Association and heads of European leagues, is confident the season can be completed by August. “The studies are ongoing and I feel assured that both [European and domestic] competitions will be completed,” he said.

Tebas claimed La Liga had lost 25% of its annual income in two months and that the cost of not renewing the season would be €1bn (£880m). In the event of returning but behind closed doors La Liga calculates losses closer to €300m (£265m). Tebas continues to press for wage cuts but insisted that Spanish football would not seek state aid. He said the league would impress upon the government the need to return to action, even without fans.

Asked whether the possibility of annulling the season was being considered and what would happen to the title, European positions and the relegation zone, Tebas replied: “It is only something that I would contemplate if I was asleep; if I am awake, not at all. We are not considering that; it is something that will be studied only at the point at which it absolutely has to be. I do not wish to start the debate now because it is pointless and only generates a conflict of interest.

None of the big or medium leagues are considering terminating the season. Not returning is not an option we are thinking about at all.” He added that it “should not be so difficult” to find a collective solution to extend players’ contracts beyond 30 June.

“A protocol is being drafted by three medical teams over the last two weeks for a return to training which involves the possibility of doing coronavirus tests and isolation in dressing rooms. When? We can’t say at the moment. The Spanish medical authorities will tell us. There is a state of alarm until 26 April and we will not start training until that point at the very earliest. The most probable options at the moment for matches returning are 28-29 May, 6-7 June and 28-29 June.
[/article]

Fuck me I’m astounded the owners for this so wrong.

Ruined the image they had been so effectively building for years in one bonehead move.

Where the fuck was the reputational risk assessment?

I read somewhere that the players will need a weeks training for each week they’ve had off.

The way it is panning out I can see there being another mini break between the end of this season and next season. Possible 3 weeks then 3 weeks pre season instead of the usual 6-7 weeks.

I wish I could withhold payments from DAZN. Paid for a year up front at the beginning of the season and there is nothing on there worth watching right now. They had better extend me a couple months.

Month-to-month subscribers can pause their payments but not annual subscribers.
I'm not sure what DAZN is but anyway I signed up for Amazon Prime (they have 1 month free on at the moment) and it's really disappointing overall, mostly a lot of leading to get you to pay for episodes/films/books. I've mainly downloaded a lot of books and used the speedy delivery service included with Prime.

I've got a free month on Netflix coming up but I mainly use a couple of free sites for films/episodes and put up with the constant ad barrage.

I'm not sure what DAZN is but anyway I signed up for Amazon Prime (they have 1 month free on at the moment) and it's really disappointing overall, mostly a lot of leading to get you to pay for episodes/films/books. I've mainly downloaded a lot of books and used the speedy delivery service included with Prime.

I've got a free month on Netflix coming up but I mainly use a couple of free sites for films/episodes and put up with the constant ad barrage.

DAZN is a sports streaming service with exclusive rights to the Premier League and UEFA competitions in Canada. Also have all NFL games (not all games exclusive) and Bellator fighting among others.

Needless to say it has been useless since the world shut down. They have filled the gaps with features and docu-shows which I couldn't give a toss about.

DAZN is a sports streaming service with exclusive rights to the Premier League and UEFA competitions in Canada. Also have all NFL games (not all games exclusive) and Bellator fighting among others.

Needless to say it has been useless since the world shut down. They have filled the gaps with features and docu-shows which I couldn't give a toss about.
Ah OK. Off-base with my reply. Soz !

No way is it being voided.

[article]
Fifa has approved plans to extend player contracts and move transfer windows to allow seasons on hold due to coronavirus to be completed.

A set of new guidelines was endorsed by the Fifa bureau – a slimmed-down version of its decision-making council – on Tuesday. These included the recommendation that players’ expiring contracts can be extended beyond the end of June and confirmation that it would permit transfer windows to be put back beyond the end of August and inserted into the gap between this season and its delayed successor.

Transfer deals due to be completed this summer will be “delayed until the next season actually does start”.

Fifa also said it would encourage clubs and players “to work together to find agreements and solutions during the period when football is suspended” and the game has to deal with an unprecedented loss of revenue.

In addressing the practical and logistical issues stemming from the pandemic the world governing body has eliminated legal barriers that would otherwise have made the idea of completing the season untenable.

These temporary solutions were drafted by a task force chaired by a Fifa vice-president, Vittorio Montagliani, and including representatives of clubs, players, leagues, national FAs and continental confederations.

“The Covid-19 pandemic has clearly changed all the factual circumstances around football for this season,” said Gianni Infantino, the Fifa president. “So, Fifa has come up with some practical ideas and proposals to tackle these new circumstances. Whilst this will not solve each and every problem, it should serve to bring a measure of stability and clarity to football. We hope that this collaborative effort can provide a positive example of how football can come together and show unity, solidarity and a spirit of compromise in order to face the challenging times ahead.”

On the thorny issue of pay cuts and wage deferrals, Fifa has advised a spirit of compromise. It advocates “looking at all aspects of each situation in an even handed manner, including what government measures are there to support clubs and players, whether pay should be deferred or reduced and what insurance coverage may exist”.

If agreement is impossible, it will serve as a final arbiter. “If parties cannot agree and, as a consequence, cases come to Fifa, the factors to be examined will include the following: whether there was a genuine attempt by the club to reach agreement with the players; what the economic situation of the club is; the proportionality of any adjustment to player contracts; the net income position of players after any contract adjustment; and whether players have been treated equally or not.

“Fifa hopes that it will be able to find solutions that are fair and balanced for both sides.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-player-contracts-and-later-transfer-windows[/article]

I have Sky Sports via Now TV and it’s exactly the same. I got it for £120 for 10 months to last the season. I’ve had nothing from them with it being extended till the end of the actual season.

I have DAZN and Sky Sport, paying both at the moment for nothing. I pay monthly, is there anything I can do about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom