• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cricket: England in South Africa 2015/16 (Basil D'Oliveira Trophy)

Sensational cricket today, brilliant test match, I really thought SA would be tougher than that in their second innings. Groundsman needs a pat on the back because that was a great cricket wicket.

Unfortunately, we were outdone by one great batting performance and one great bowling performance in this one. Over the course of 3 tests though, I think the worthier team won. I actually think there is some nice talent SA - it's just not in the age range we need to build a squad again. It's all 25-30 year olds.

Looks like we'll have a replacement for Steyn though which is nice!

Yeah - The best team won but that was a cracker jack test. The track was a doozy. A bit of nip and seam. Moving ball and laterally. Broad slammed the ball into the track and made the best out of it. He just kept getting it to jag back - That ruined the South Africans. Special shout to Taylor (those catches were sublime) and Stokes who's in-swinger was perfect. A lovely test to watch.

Here we go again then! Weird team from SA, only going with three seamers with two spinners hardly renowned for parsimony.

Looks a funny wicket to be honest. Jimmy's first over was a loosener but I expect him to have a bit of fire in his belly after Broad got the #1 spot and AB's remarks yesterday.

Looks a funny wicket to be honest. Jimmy's first over was a loosener but I expect him to have a bit of fire in his belly after Broad got the #1 spot and AB's remarks yesterday.

AB's remarks? It would be like getting angry if someone said the same thing about Steyn (who's definitely not the same bowler who scared the shit out of most batters)

Solid start by SA - but jittery.

Either England don't care about the test, or they're having Saffatitis ... Amla with a century, Cook (the name is driving me crazy) almost there too and the RR is 4+ ...

Either England don't care about the test, or they're having Saffatitis ... Amla with a century, Cook (the name is driving me crazy) almost there too and the RR is 4+ ...

That was a pretty disappointing effort from England, I really think we could do better than the SA selectors, leaving out De Koch and especially Rabada from the first test was a massive mistake.
SA have some rebuilding to do but have found a gem in Rabada

Last edited:
Rabada I guess has announced himself to the cricket world... I knew he was good, but he's really shown himself to be a quite a special talent.

Disappointing test series overall, but maybe my feelings of the impending collapse of South African test cricket were slightly exaggerated.

So here we are in the one dayers now. England have been much better with a more aggressive attitude since the world cup, bit worried about the bowling though! Roy off to a flyer today

Yeah shame about the end, I think if De Kock stayed in they would have got close. Bodes well for the next game

Pity ... De Kock looked like he was gonna try and win it all by himself ... He's hitting some really good form this lad - finally becoming the player everyone thought he would be when he was a teenager

Pity ... De Kock looked like he was gonna try and win it all by himself ... He's hitting some really good form this lad - finally becoming the player everyone thought he would be when he was a teenager

Mindblowing that he wasn't in the first test based on recent form, I believe that he scored a domestic ton during that game as well. This is what happens when you have a bird as a test selector

( ha i do know that Zondi is a man )

England up 2-1 after a really good win from South Africa.

Centuries from hash & de kock (his 10th and he's just 23).

2-2
didn't watch game, so just saw that SA scraped this one.

They got out of jail several times with dropped catches failed run outs and an easy stumping missed, England really gave the game away - brilliant match though one of the best. No such luck today, SA were worthy winners if a bit lucky to win the series

They got out of jail several times with dropped catches failed run outs and an easy stumping missed, England really gave the game away - brilliant match though one of the best. No such luck today, SA were worthy winners if a bit lucky to win the series

I guess the series has confirmed:
  • De Kock is the future of this lineup's pulse. The heir to Amla, AB & Faf.
  • The selectors may have actually started to grow testicles - dropping JP for Rilee
  • Chris Morris, though 28, could be a Kluesner like all-rounder ... Test and ODIs showed a man capable with the bat and ball.
  • Rabada is the real deal and it's come at the right time as it seems Steyn is on the way out.
  • South African cricket is at a major transition point - it's key the veterans hold the ship stead as the 20-25 year old kids come through and try and hit the peaks we've seen over the last 5 years. Won't be easy - probably won't happen, but I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the group that took over from Kepler, Hansie, Jonty, Kirsten etc mature and become stars.

I know this is not about an English player...

But Brendon McCullum has had a couple of terrific years, and i can't really think of a better way to go out.....breaks Viv Richards record in his last test.

You can't script that kind of shit.

That T20 had a crazy finish. Poor the Topley.

another nailbiter, England did so well to get back in the game only to fuck it up in the last over!
I know this is not about an English player...

But Brendon McCullum has had a couple of terrific years, and i can't really think of a better way to go out.....breaks Viv Richards record in his last test.

You can't script that kind of shit.

54 balls, wow a fitting end. I think he has revolutionised test cricket in the last few years. Run rates are way up on a few years back and he has led his team to play hard but not with over the top aggression, an attitude which England have copied and adopted.

another nailbiter, England did so well to get back in the game only to fuck it up in the last over!

54 balls, wow a fitting end. I think he has revolutionised test cricket in the last few years. Run rates are way up on a few years back and he has led his team to play hard but not with over the top aggression, an attitude which England have copied and adopted.

I wouldn't go that far...he has definitely infused life in New Zealand cricket which was becoming rather listless before he took the captaincy on.

There have been others before him who had a similar approach to Test cricket. The man Viv Richards himself, Gilchrist, Sehwag etc all were undeniably attacking in everything they did, but they never had the chance to be a captain and do the same like McCullum has been able to do.

Sehwag scored 8000+ runs at a career average of 50 and strike rate of above 80 in Test cricket. He may have struggled on occasions, but he never changed his approach no matter how bowler friendly the wickets were and never played for statistics....gung ho to the core...

What a thumping victory that was after England collapsed (lost 7 wickets for 14 runs).

Not a bad response from the Proteas. Don't think we have a chance in hell for the T20 tourney -

What a thumping victory that was after England collapsed (lost 7 wickets for 14 runs).

Not a bad response from the Proteas. Don't think we have a chance in hell for the T20 tourney -

Well, there's not much any team can do when AB is on song.

Back
Top Bottom