• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cricket Thread

peekay

Very Well-Known
I just thought this forum needed one :D

India retains number 1 crown in test cricket after defeating SA in Eden Gardens. A cracking series and it is awful that it is just 2 matches.

Australia just had an unbeaten summer. Beat Pakistan in every test, 1-dayer and 20-20 and then beat WI in 1-dayers and 20-20 apart from 1 which was rained off.

They have found a bit of rhythm, and a couple of players, since the Ashes loss. Shane Watson, who I don't think featured (much?) in The Ashes has been a revelation, he's just won Cricketer of the Year over here. Top player.

This year's Ashes will be good. If England win over here, it will be a hell of an achievement.

Irish cricket is in good shape at the moment ::)

An unbroken stand of 112 between Eoin Morgan and Kevin Pietersen saw England beat world champions Pakistan by seven wickets in the Twenty20 international.

Pakistan were limited to 11 fours and two sixes in 129-8, Stuart Broad taking 2-23 and holding three fine catches.

England slipped to 18-3 in the fifth over but the fourth-wicket pair shared their team's highest T20 partnership.

Pietersen made 43 and Morgan ended the match with a six in 67 from 51 balls as England won with nine deliveries left.

It was a superb display from England, having been beaten by their second-string Lions team on Wednesday.

The ultra-modern 25,000-seater stadium in Dubai is a superb venue for Pakistan whilst they are unable to play in their homeland because of security fears, but the pitch did not appear to be to their liking as the match began in twilight at 1800 local time.

They had made 161-8 against New Zealand, the highest Twenty20 total at the ground, with the average at 140, but 129-8 was their second lowest total in the shortest format.

This may have been more because of the new-look line-up, however, featuring only five of the victorious World Twenty20 team at Lord's eight months ago.

And England were also excellent in the field, and after two accurate overs combined with swing from Ryan Sidebottom, and another steady over from Tim Bresnan, Broad struck with his fourth delivery.

Imran Nazir could never find his touch and there was an air of desperation about his mistimed pull shot at a lifting ball from Broad.

606: DEBATE
Morgan has excelled in the one day format for some time, and Bangladesh would be the perfect place for him to start his Test career

Auckland-on-Avon

When Bresnan returned, Imran Farhat flicked successive boundaries into the leg side but attempting a quick single to mid-off he underestimated the sprightliness of Pietersen, who threw down the stumps off balance with a superb direct hit.

Pakistan could only muster 25-2 after the six powerplay overs, their lowest in 29 Twenty20 internationals, and after opening with a horrendous delivery that was wide and also a no-ball, Luke Wright added the wicket of Khalid Latif, who snicked a cut to Matt Prior.

By the ninth over only four fours had been hit and soon the fourth wicket fell as Graeme Swann was immediately into the wickets, the dangerous Umar Akmal magnificently caught by Broad diving to his left in Paul Collingwood style at backward point.

Left-hander Fawad Alam cleared the square-leg fielder for the first six of the innings in the 13th over - Collingwood's first - and Malik thumped Wright down the ground then moved across to flick the next ball for four more.

But Swann returned and followed Malik down the leg side which resulted in a simple catch to Collingwood at mid-wicket.

Though Razzaq thumped Broad for a flat six over mid-wicket, the England all-rounder had Alam caught behind cutting a rising ball.

From the final ball of the penultimate over Razzaq departed when he cut a slower bouncer from Bresnan, and Broad's fine match continued with an agile low catch diving forward.

But England's reply looked jittery as Joe Denly - having almost been run out the ball before - chipped tamely to short mid-wicket in the second over and Jonathan Trott chopped on to his stumps five balls later.

Pietersen hit England's first boundary in the third over with a stylish straight drive off Yasir Arafat's slower ball but in the next over Collingwood was run out for a duck at the bowler's end, pushing for a second run.
Kevin Pietersen
Pietersen made a timely return to form with a stylish innings

England only mustered 25-3 from the powerplay overs - also their worst - but instead of crumbling, the fourth-wicket partnership won the match with virtually no risks.

Morgan patiently consolidated with Pietersen and though only two fours had been scored in reaching the halfway point, 50-3 was fractionally ahead of Pakistan's 48-4 at the same stage.

Morgan recorded the fifty partnership in style from the final ball of the 11th over with a flick off Umar Gul for six.

Pietersen, who averaged only 25 in the Test series in South Africa on his comeback from ankle surgery, soon began to look at his imperious best, able to adjust to a quicker ball from spinner Malik and flick through mid-wicket for four.

Dublin-born left-hander Morgan, who made an unbeaten 85 against South Africa in only his second Twenty20 international in November, took three fours in an over as Razzaq's experiments proved costly.

He brought up the 100 with a ferocious quick-handed pull for four off Gul as the runs moved below the balls remaining and in the same over a classical straight drive over the bowler's head raced away for four more.

His most anxious moment came in reaching 50 when he just scampered home for a second run, but having been on 14 in the 12th over, his final 53 runs were scored from just 29 balls.

The century stand came from 83 deliveries as the match ended with two fours and a six from Morgan off Gul, and Pakistan will be hoping Shahid Afridi can inspire them to better things when he returns from suspension for Saturday's second match.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=38966.msg1056736#msg1056736 date=1266596153]

Australia just had an unbeaten summer. Beat Pakistan in every test, 1-dayer and 20-20 and then beat WI in 1-dayers and 20-20 apart from 1 which was rained off.

They have found a bit of rhythm, and a couple of players, since the Ashes loss. Shane Watson, who I don't think featured (much?) in The Ashes has been a revelation, he's just won Cricketer of the Year over here. Top player.

This year's Ashes will be good. If England win over here, it will be a hell of an achievement.

[/quote]

When did England last win it down under?

the last match between India and SA was great ... Pity we couldn't pull out the draw - where's Onions when you need a lucky draw?

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=38966.msg1057139#msg1057139 date=1266688165]
Exciting finish to the T20 game today. Pakistan with a tense win.
[/quote]

I watched Englands first bowling over and figured Pakistan found the self destruct button again, missed rest of it.

Plus I think Peterson got trott run out on purpose cos he was scoring slowly, and there were not many over left at the time.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=38966.msg1056736#msg1056736 date=1266596153]
[/quote]

Not just yet mate, there's still a T20 to go today against the Windies, and another one on Tuesday.

That said, I still reckon the Aussies will win both. Gayle has been poor with the bat in the ODIs and if he's not firing it's a big ask.

Kieron Pollard has looked a great prospect though, hopefully he opens with Gayle in the T20s.

[/quote]

You and I could have played in that Windies team Larry. They are absolute fucking gash.

still, good performance from Australia throughout the summer, and they've unheralded some excellent new prospects. Watson's come of age, and they've come across some fine new bowlers too; Bollinger, Smith, and Harris who's gonna be a star.

Smith is the pick of that lot for me.

Did you see him last night? Took an absolute fucking screamer at deep midwicket. Everything he did in the field was golden.

His bowling needs a bit of work, but he's a genuine leggie and still what, 20?

Beavis looking cunt can bat a bit too.

Sorry, I meant Smith.

Yeah his catch was incredible. As was the Windies decision to place most of their first 5 over balls up on a fucking plate with a knife and fork attached for Dave Warner to spank them all over Sydney.

Yeah it was terrible bowling.

First ball to Warner was full, straight, just about dug out......no run.

Lesson learned? No. After that they bowled like they had a plane to catch in a hurry.

Tendulkar hits the first 200 in one day internationals. What a player, what an ambassador to the game.

[quote author=peekay link=topic=38966.msg1059206#msg1059206 date=1267016253]
Tendulkar hits the first 200 in one day internationals. What a player, what an ambassador to the game.
[/quote]

Watching the match with my uncles.

Incredible innings ... feel so proud and happy for the man.

Sachin for me is the epitome of a fantastic person and sports role model in sport ... a true gentleman and great of the game.

And he was really the only player who could have made 200 in and ODI ... unbelievable.

And he did it with classy shots and technique ... no smashing or lucky shots ... all controlled and measured.

LEGEND!

He's from a completely different era. Since 20 years ago, as a kid, he learnt to score runs against walsh, ambrose, warne, akram, younis, donald, pollock etc. So now he must walk out there thinking what the fuck is this shit? Andy Flintwhat? Really. Are you kidding me? This innings, and the fact he is racing to 100 centuries is what you get for there being no bowlers left in the world to challenge him

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=38966.msg1059394#msg1059394 date=1267044817]
He's from a completely different era. Since 20 years ago, as a kid, he learnt to score runs against walsh, ambrose, warne, akram, younis, donald, pollock etc. So now he must walk out there thinking what the fuck is this shit? Andy Flintwhat? Really. Are you kidding me? This innings, and the fact he is racing to 100 centuries is what you get for there being no bowlers left in the world to challenge him
[/quote]

Boy oh boy ... What a player he was ... I don't think there's a pace bowler out there today who can even compare to Donald.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=38966.msg1059398#msg1059398 date=1267044965]
[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=38966.msg1059394#msg1059394 date=1267044817]
[/quote]

Boy oh boy ... What a player he was ... I don't think there's a pace bowler out there today who can even compare to Donald.
[/quote]

Nope there isn't. Actually bret lee's retirement probably means there's not a pace bowler out there who could compare to fucking darren gough, nevermind allan donald

Anybody see Brendon McCullum's century in the 20/20 yesterday?

As good as I've seen, some incredible shots played.

[quote author=peekay link=topic=38966.msg1067064#msg1067064 date=1268225369]
Unreal what is happening with the Pakistan team :(
[/quote]

Those suspensions are fucking unbelievable.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=38966.msg1067438#msg1067438 date=1268274449]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mohammad Yousef deserves a ban for his woeful captaincy in that 2nd test against Australia.

Began the final days play with Australia 8 or 9 down and a tiny lead of 80 or so runs ... so what's the twat do?

Starts the day with fielders covering the boundary!

Aussies get a lead of 150ish and end up bowling out Pakistan in a few hours!

[quote author=Roopy link=topic=38966.msg1067558#msg1067558 date=1268303153]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=38966.msg1067438#msg1067438 date=1268274449]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mohammad Yousef deserves a ban for his woeful captaincy in that 2nd test against Australia.

Began the final days play with Australia 8 or 9 down and a tiny lead of 80 or so runs ... so what's the twat do?

Starts the day with fielders covering the boundary!

Aussies get a lead of 150ish and end up bowling out Pakistan in a few hours!
[/quote]

Mate you cannot ban a person for incompetence. Maybe drop him, but banning him is plainly crazy.

Back
Top Bottom