• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cricket World Cup

The Wellington ground is a joke though with stupid short boundaries. I think the fielding restrictions have just gone too far, with these very flat pitches it really favours the batters, and the kookaburra ball doesn't help the bowlers as it doesn't seem to seam or swing much. Not much chance of any reverse with it being 25 overs old maximum either. All in all it this world cup has become a slogfest extended 20-20 tournament with the attendant loss of nuance.

Agree with the above two posts. We might as well have 11 batsmen and a baseball nets style pitching machine at the other end.

Field restriction is ridiculous but what is more ridiculous is the two new balls....i mean the cricket balls.

Spinners are not that effective at restricting runs and taking wickets.
No reverse swing.
Batsmen can afford to get their eye in and really crunch it and the ball really travels.

Guptill would have got caught at longoff or longon if he constructed this type of innings when the ball is softer.

But credit to him, he really struck it sweetly today.

With only 4 guys out on the boundary the seam bowlers telegraph where they are going to bowl giving the batters an unfair advantage. The yorker seems to be an endangered species in this tournament.

NZ defeat SA. SA must regret the runout chance and the catch they dropped for Elliott.

Got to feel for SA, if someone says the c word after this I think A.B devilliers would be well within his rights to punch them right in the cunt.

But we did 'c word' this time ... Not that NZ were without errors, but AB's run out and the dropped catch ...

I wonder if Steyn started the tournament injured ... He was never himself ...

Tough pill to swallow.

But we did 'c word' this time ... Not that NZ were without errors, but AB's run out and the dropped catch ...

I wonder if Steyn started the tournament injured ... He was never himself ...

Tough pill to swallow.

4 runout attempts missed.
Into NZ's weaker middle order
Dropped catches.
NZ still needed 22 off the final two overs.

And SA still couldn't win. It is what it is; a massive fucking choke.

Still, an incredible game, and as good an advert for sport as you'll find.

Bollocks was it a choke, the rain delay and subsequent DL revised target didn't do them any favours. 22 off two overs is fuck all now with only 4 fielders out and batsmen set. Have you ever played cricket? you would know how difficult those chances are if you had. Choke - my arse

Bollocks was it a choke, the rain delay and subsequent DL revised target didn't do them any favours. 22 off two overs is fuck all now with only 4 fielders out and batsmen set. Have you ever played cricket? you would know how difficult those chances are if you had. Choke - my arse

The Elliott run out chance where the keeper forgot to catch the ball when hitting the stumps and the two players clashing into each other when going for the catch were things SA would have not done 10 times out of 10 in other circumstances. The rain delay and DL system was a huge blow for SA as they usually explode in the 5-8 overs.

Its very lazy to say its a choke....missed runout chance is part and parcel of the game. Every team that has gone out has missed a runout or catch, yet only SA chocked.

This game was tight from start to finish and evenly poised. If this is choking, then im afraid I have very different definition for the word.

Also not for the first time the DL has put them in a position of disadvantage....disadvantage...the way AB was going SA would have got 350+ on the board if full 50 overs were played. Im not sure the Kiwis would have got to that.

The Elliott run out chance where the keeper forgot to catch the ball when hitting the stumps and the two players clashing into each other when going for the catch were things SA would have not done 10 times out of 10 in other circumstances. The rain delay and DL system was a huge blow for SA as they usually explode in the 5-8 overs.

Can't agree with that - you see run outs missed like that all the time. As an ex keeper I can sympathise with De Kock, it wasn't the easiest throw to gather.

The run out miss was I think by De Villiers - who hit the stumps after dropping the ball ...

The catch was just unlike SA - who are a very good fielding team.

If we the fans can see it and someone like Sangakkara comes out with it in an interview surely the ICC have to change things

You've played a lot in Sri Lanka, where scores are much lower on average than we've seen at this World Cup. Has the balance shifted too far toward batsmen elsewhere?
That's why they've introduced the two new balls, but I don't think that's really worked. On wickets that don't swing and seam, the new balls just stay harder for batsmen to hit farther. The spinners very rarely get turn anymore, unless you're a wristspinner. You rarely see reverse swing. A lot has gone out of the game. With one new ball, there used to be everything in a game. You used to have swing at the start, then the ball softer, making it more difficult for batsmen to score. You had spinners really turning the ball, and you had quicks coming back reversing. I think one new ball would work better. Now the big fast bowlers - not the subcontinental fast bowlers - have an advantage. But even with them, if they don't get two or three wickets in the first ten overs, it can be a struggle. Batsmen now hold the fort for the first ten.
Also in the death overs, because there is no reverse, it's hard to hit your yorkers unless you're Lasith Malinga or Mitchell Starc. Even after the 35th over, in the Powerplay, bowlers can really struggle. Most sides back themselves to set 300, and then see if their fast bowlers can make an initial impact.

Ah shit, I've never played cricket. Sorry Tony I forgot all about that pre-requisite.

Back
Top Bottom