• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

David Seaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary25

Well-Known
Just watching PL Legends featuring David Seaman and wondering what everyone thought of him as a Goalkeeper in his time? I'm probably not old enough to remember him in his prime...mid 90s at a guess??

Do remember that save from Paul Peschisolido in the Cup Semis at Old Trafford though...was one of the best if not best saves I've ever seen. Also recall a huge fuss being made about how Arsenal would replace him before he was eventually moved on and that mad German cunt Lehmann came in.

He was brilliant. Probably played on 2 years too long though. Certainly for England

It helps when you've got one of the best back four's in history parked in front of you.

I always thought he was decent but nothing special.

I'll remember him for Fowlers 4 min hat trick and being lobbed in the cup winners cup from 45 yards.

Got lobbed by Ronaldinhio while playing for England too if I recall properly.

Like Shilton before him, he learned the art of self-promotion, encouraging the myth that he was better than he actually was. No crime in that, of course, just canny image editing. Seaman was a very good keeper, not a great one IMHO, but after a while as England's number one he took, without any embarrassment, to signing autographs 'Safe Hands'. There was always the hazard of hubris about him. He was also quite amiable, and ingratiated himself with all the right media people so that his errors were largely ignored or explained away, while his saves were raved about far beyond what they deserved. But he didn't have the kind of concentration problems that dog Joe Hart, nor the technical flaws that have seen several of his England successors fade away from the top. He was certainly far better and more reassuring in goal than any British keeper I can think of in the past couple of decades.

When Shilton retired it was assumed that Chris Woods would take over as first choice, and he did for a while, but after a while he lost his place to Seaman, who (as mentioned already) benefitted at club level by having an excellent defence in front of him every week.

He certainly was a very good keeper, and probably was better than his rivals (Woods, Martyn, Flowers) but in terms of the England team we were used to having one keeper who was first choice for years, as was the case with Shilton, so Seaman fitted the bill quite nicely.

He turned a bit shit when he got that ponytail and by the end he blatantly wasn't good enough any longer, but in his day he was good.

Like Shilton before him, he learned the art of self-promotion, encouraging the myth that he was better than he actually was. No crime in that, of course, just canny image editing. Seaman was a very good keeper, not a great one IMHO, but after a while as England's number one he took, without any embarrassment, to signing autographs 'Safe Hands'. There was always the hazard of hubris about him. He was also quite amiable, and ingratiated himself with all the right media people so that his errors were largely ignored or explained away, while his saves were raved about far beyond what they deserved. But he didn't have the kind of concentration problems that dog Joe Hart, nor the technical flaws that have seen several of his England successors fade away from the top. He was certainly far better and more reassuring in goal than any British keeper I can think of in the past couple of decades.
Exactly this. He was England's number one when that meant about as much as being Great Britain's number two tennis player.

I thought he was great... but then again I was comparing his to our keeper of the time, David James, who was the biggest lump of toss in the league.

Just watching PL Legends featuring David Seaman and wondering what everyone thought of him as a Goalkeeper in his time? I'm probably not old enough to remember him in his prime...mid 90s at a guess??

Do remember that save from Paul Peschisolido in the Cup Semis at Old Trafford though...was one of the best if not best saves I've ever seen. Also recall a huge fuss being made about how Arsenal would replace him before he was eventually moved on and that mad German cunt Lehmann came in.

Manninger came first. Then Richard Wright came. Good times.

He was good, certainly one of the best in the league, however he was never considered as amazing in my eyes. He had that glaring weakness at crosses and long looping shots (I'm not just referencing Ronaldinho, there were 3/4 high profile goals). As a shot stopper, and his penalty record, he was right up there with the best. While his distribution and game reading were very decent too. As others have said though, at club level it really helped that from the mid 90's he had probably one of the best back 4's every assembled.

86e3488969315c9a31f22129a6bfc56b.jpg

Ahh, pony tails and moustaches, short shorts and socks round the ankles and there's Seaman dribbling out of the box.

Seaman was alright.

Barnes was amazing. If someone today pulled off that dribble...

Seaman was pretty good without ever being world class (the best keeper of the 90s was probably Schmeichel, until Buffon came along in the late 90s). At the time, I thought Flowers was better but he always seemed to under-perform when given an England chance. Martyn was a better shot stopper, but was weaker in almost every other attribute.

Reactions: RMA
Seaman was pretty good without ever being world class (the best keeper of the 90s was probably Schmeichel, until Buffon came along in the late 90s). At the time, I thought Flowers was better but he always seemed to under-perform when given an England chance. Martyn was a better shot stopper, but was weaker in almost every other attribute.
True. Smeichel and Buffon are still good shouts by the way

The only relevant information in this thread, is the fact that David Seaman, an actual mature adult person, signed autographs as "Safe Hands" rather than his name.

He was a good keeper but unfortunately i remember him for exactly those 3 incidents !!

But like someone has already said that Arsenal defence provided him great cover !!!

He left his Mrs and kids for some bird from Dancing on Ice.

And he had left his previous Mrs for her, when she was a receptionist or something at Arsenal. Ye reap what ye sow and all that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom