• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Depression

I'm certainly not a heavy drug user. I just get fucked with my friends if i have spare cash or time.

But yeah it's nice

I'm pretty much the same. I very rarely use drugs these days but I don't feel guilty when I do, and it's not because I want to escape the reality of my unbearable existence. I just like it.

I'm pretty much the same. I very rarely use drugs these days but I don't feel guilty when I do, and it's not because I want to escape the reality of my unbearable existence. I just like it.

If i wanted to escape the reality of my unbearable existence i'd be more than a social user and i'd probably have no friends or life.

Never touched drugs, but I've had counselling to help me get my head around what's going on in my head

Is this place some sort of support group?

What's going on here?

I feel like I've been drinking in a bar regularly for a while and only now I'm realising it's a gay bar.

My dad is clinically depressed and the only drug he had is alcohol.

My grandfather went into black moods and didn't take drugs.

I have depression and have taken class a. I have no conclusions from these observations.

Tbf mate I'd say from what I know of you that your depression has absolutely nothing to do with drugs.

Nah, Portly. It isn't something along these lines. I get to sleep just fine, and I don't snore (unless I've gone to bed with too much drink) or have breathing difficulties. I just wake up, usually after only 2 or 3 hours sleep, feeling anxious and unable to get back to sleep. So I go and read and watch the telly until it is time to get up. It is shit.

There's some research that says needing 8 hours of continuous sleep may not be necessary and maybe even be unnatural for human beings. Have a read here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

Since I've stopped caning drugs I'm certainly a lot more stable.

I wouldn't say I'm happy clappy and full of the joys of life, and there are probably less highs as well as less lows, but at least things are fairly consistent.

Like others, I've also found immersing myself in work has left me too busy/tired to really get caught up in the destructive thought patterns that used to fuck me over. When left to your own devices, it can take a lot of discipline not to let yourself slip back into thinking those negative thoughts or allowing the kind of internal dialogue develop whereby you're beating up on yourself and putting yourself down.

In a way, I think depressives must get some kind of perverse pleasure out of it, the self-immolation aspect of it I mean - because even when you know you're doing it, and you know it's wrong, and you know you shouldn't, there can be an almost self-indulgent acceptance of these destructive tendencies . . . "I'll just think about it for a little bit" or something. I dunno, maybe that's just me, but I definitely think you have to be very disciplined and strong willed to overcome depression

I've been off the anti- depressants for about a year now. It was a bit weird at first, but I've coped fine.

I still suffer from anxiety although I suspect a lot is due to high blood pressure, but even that has leveled off significantly.

It all stemmed from an episode over 5 years ago and it's only in the last year I've really started to regain a sense of calm about where I am in life and my ability to cope with things.

There are still done self-destructive dark days, but with lessened intensity.

Unfortunately alcohol abuse & irregular sleep patterns are pretty much part of the job description in my line of work, in the same way that 2 days off in a row to relax us some sort of luxury that rarely gets afforded.

Getting some sort of hobby outside of work is a great idea and I've managed to add to my favorite and hobby if drinking excessively in the past year, but it's really geared towards understanding that the emotions expressed during depression & anxiety attacks are legitimate, it's just that the volume has been turned up and they become overpowering - which is where the drugs come in by dampening the extremes of emotional reaction.

Anyway - each day presents a step in the right direction.

Far be for me to tell the Mods what to do, but can I at least suggest, as this wonderful thread slips down the page and towards obscurity again, that at the appropriate time, it be placed in the Vault.
It can be harrowing reading at times but really it encapsulates the very best of SCM.
People showing great sympathy, empathy and understanding but mostly others being open, honest and much much braver than they dare to believe.

Why the fuck is this in the vault.
Get a proper illness you maudlin fannys!!

When you are depressed, nothing anybody may say to you will make any difference to the way you are feeling. However, I offer this advice: See a doctor. Don't be afraid of antidepressants - they work well although they take a couple of weeks to kick in. Stop taking the antidepressants when you feel you can cope without them.

When you are depressed, nothing anybody may say to you will make any difference to the way you are feeling. However, I offer this advice: See a doctor. Don't be afraid of antidepressants - they work well although they take a couple of weeks to kick in. Stop taking the antidepressants when you feel you can cope without them.

This is kind of where I am at the minute.

I started back on some mild antidepressants about 3 weeks ago in order to try and regulate the more frequent darker moods that had creeped back in to my life.

First few weeks kicked me about a bit and I'm still having sleep issues, but my moods have been better regulated of late.

Relationship breakups, alcohol and isolation tend to bring the darker things to the fore, which makes self-reconstruction a little more challenging, so I'm hoping the Zoloft helps to give me better chance to ease through the process.

If that makes sense?

Makes sense to me Stevie. Many people think that antidepressants are the same thing as "tranquillisers" but they are very different. They work on your mind in a subtle way which gives you a kind of immunity to misery. As I said, they take some time to kick in. Many people keep taking them when they don't need them any more, so it's important to pack them in when you feel ready to and your doctor agrees.

I wish I could give you some advice or a nice story, but I'm not in the position to as I've not had to deal with it.

I do want to say fair play to you for reaching out though, I'm sure you'll find the help you're looking for on here, despite there being so many undesirables about.

Good luck, brother.

Makes sense to me Stevie. Many people think that antidepressants are the same thing as "tranquillisers" but they are very different. They work on your mind in a subtle way which gives you a kind of immunity to misery. As I said, they take some time to kick in. Many people keep taking them when they don't need them any more, so it's important to pack them in when you feel ready to and your doctor agrees.

Yep - I took them for a while a number of years back, but packed them in once circumstances changed - so plan to do the same this time, I guess.

Stevie - Not that I'm advocating that a beer and a laugh (not guaranteed) as some form of prescription for what seems like a cunt of an illness, but if you ever want a chat and a pint mate I'll be there in a shot.

Been too long since we caught up properly anyway.

It sounds like the gayest of all fucking things to have to go through, and I'll be zero cure for you mate, but I'm here and always will be.

Take care pal.

I think I've probably dealt with depression, albeit a mild version, most of my life - generally manifests as "down moods", sense of hopelessness and in some cases anxiety/panic/nervousness. It usually causes me to withdraw into myself a little, which is where things spiral away in the the wrong direction.

Throw in ridiculously easy access to pretty much unlimited alcohol, a very limited support network of friends/family and a bit of a solitary existence - and it makes for a bit of a challenge when the head isn't in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom