• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ellis and his 3 million

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
What do people think of the punishment here?

Warriors suspend Ellis for mo-ped accident

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer 5 hours, 42 minutes ago

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Monta Ellis knew he was in trouble after he seriously injured his ankle in a mo-ped accident and then lied to the Golden State Warriors about it this summer.

The high-scoring guard probably never imagined that trouble would cost him about $3 million—and neither did his coach or the man who drafted him.

Warriors president Robert Rowell suspended Ellis for 30 games without pay Saturday for violating his lucrative new contract, a decision that apparently went against the wishes of top basketball executive Chris Mullin and coach Don Nelson.

Ellis, who agreed to a six-year deal worth $66 million in July, severely sprained his ankle in a low-speed crash in late August. The 22-year-old then compounded his mistake by telling the Warriors he hurt himself playing pickup ball in his native Mississippi, only coming clean about the accident several days later.

There’s no doubt Ellis violated Paragraph 12 of the NBA’s uniform player contract, which prohibits a player from engaging “in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury,†including “driving or riding a motorcycle or mo-ped.â€

What if he was driving a 'safer' car but caused an accident and injured himself - would he have been fined then?

Seems a harsh ruling, but you can understand and sympathise with the clubs frustration.

As a Monta Ellis owner in a fantasy league...i feel its pretty harsh. Its a moped FFS, not a high powered racing bike. He shouldnt have lied about it though.

[quote author=Jack the Lad link=topic=27761.msg696633#msg696633 date=1223818766]
As a Monta Ellis owner in a fantasy league...i feel its pretty harsh. Its a moped FFS, not a high powered racing bike. He shouldnt have lied about it though.
[/quote]

Mopeds can be pretty dangerous too.

Fact is, it is clearly stated in League rules that players shouldn't be riding around in that. Ellis should know and he compounded his mistake by lying about it. I guess it was within the Warriors' right to fine and suspend him.

Why did you pick Ellis Jack? He will be on the disabled list til December if I'm not wrong.

Back
Top Bottom