• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eriksen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all smell of desperation and agent lurching for their fee's all over.

Imagin doing a whole pre-season preparing the team for playing and all of a sudden you bring in a megastar who will want to dictate the play the day before the league starts. He will be Your most expensive signing so fans and Board expect him to walk into the team. He will earn more than all others so he will not be very popular within the team. And he will need some time to learn the club, hence he will be in for a rough start With impatienced fans and opposition fans full fo schadenfraue. Not ideal for any part aside the agent of course.

We briught in 2 midfielders last summer and it took them months to be even in the question for a starting role. If those other clubs have such a primitive structure in their play that anyone can walk straight into their midfield it is a sign of weekness.

It's the same as the year we built the Main stand, hardly anything was spent and now they're building the new training facility in Kirkby so the Bank is shut.
Add some improved contracts to that and we're skint again.

It's the same as the year we built the Main stand, hardly anything was spent and now they're building the new training facility in Kirkby so the Bank is shut.
Add some improved contracts to that and we're skint again.

I think it got nothing to do by being skint. We have spent heavily and smart and if you are going to spend heavily you should know what you do. Look at United. They spent heavily on players like Veron, Di Maria, Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez and a whole bunch of others that should be strengthening them directly but ended up like pain for them instead. If they recruited smart They would be out of eight and contesting for CL every year.

If we are spinning Shaqiri as our big "summer signing" then I suspect there is something going on at the club financially that we arent aware of.
But when, during Klopp’ tenure, has the club ever spent any money outside of spending what was earned from outgoing transfer fees?
Our owners have spent fuck all in transfers since Klopp’s come in. The only difference this year is that we don’t have an outgoing player worth shit loads.
To have an absolute world class manager that not only doesn’t winge but actually helps with the spin..
FSG must be in dreamland.

But when, during Klopp’ tenure, has the club ever spent any money outside of spending what was earned from outgoing transfer fees?
Our owners have spent fuck all in transfers since Klopp’s come in. The only difference this year is that we don’t have an outgoing player worth shit loads.
To have an absolute world class manager that not only doesn’t winge but actually helps with the spin..
FSG must be in dreamland.

I Don’t know what to think. Somehow it feels fine to not rely on the owners for spending, but for the club to build upon their own operation. It's like those spoiled kids with no integrity running to dad to flash their "style". When it starts it never stops.

I think it got nothing to do by being skint. We have spent heavily and smart and if you are going to spend heavily you should know what you do. Look at United. They spent heavily on players like Veron, Di Maria, Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez and a whole bunch of others that should be strengthening them directly but ended up like pain for them instead. If they recruited smart They would be out of eight and contesting for CL every year.
Klopp has repeatedly intimated that the money isn't there for transfers this summer. We all hoped that it was a cunning plan to pay less for the players we were after but this close to the window shutting it's looking like he was telling the truth.
Trusted journalists to LFC have again said all summer that Liverpool we're looking at maybe spending around 20 million on a left sided player which would cover the wing and maybe full back area but for a club of our size to have only around 20 million to spend after the financial success we've enjoyed the past two seasons pretty much means we're skint.
I'm only guessing that the reason for this is that the money is being spent elsewhere

Other than Hazard leaving, none of the top prem sides have lost their best players.

I wonder if that'll change after tomorrow...Other leagues still have 3 weeks to sign players anywhere right?

Klopp has repeatedly intimated that the money isn't there for transfers this summer. We all hoped that it was a cunning plan to pay less for the players we were after but this close to the window shutting it's looking like he was telling the truth.
Trusted journalists to LFC have again said all summer that Liverpool we're looking at maybe spending around 20 million on a left sided player which would cover the wing and maybe full back area but for a club of our size to have only around 20 million to spend after the financial success we've enjoyed the past two seasons pretty much means we're skint.
I'm only guessing that the reason for this is that the money is being spent elsewhere

With the Ox, Keita, Fabinho, Shaquiri, Allison and VVD transfers over the last 12-16 months we have spent heavily. Not all is covered by seiling Coutinho, which I understand Barcelona still owe us money for.

But we are definately not skint. We just doesn't have the money to dip into the overinflated transfermarket which clearly doesn't offer much value at the moment.

With the Ox, Keita, Fabinho, Shaquiri, Allison and VVD transfers over the last 12-16 months we have spent heavily. Not all is covered by seiling Coutinho, which I understand Barcelona still owe us money for.

But we are definately not skint. We just doesn't have the money to dip into the overinflated transfermarket which clearly doesn't offer much value at the moment.
Tell me the last time inflation went down, either for a European country or the transfer market in particular ?

We are European Champions, just go get that versatile leftback already. Hard to see Milner being shuffled there, again!, after 3 seasons.

Moreno was always going to go, we knew that since 2019, if there is no succession plan, someone needs to take the blame.

Tell me the last time inflation went down, either for a European country or the transfer market in particular ?

It is not about going down or up. It is all about exploding in our faces. A few megarich Clubs owned by GulfStates has clearly destabilized normal inflation. it is insane, and even improved incomes doesn't weigh up for that. Do you think we could spend those money if Qatar/PSG didn't buy Neymar and opening the can of worms in Cataluina in the same moment? We could react to that but we can't be proactive and driving this market forward. We are not yet in that position. We have spent heavily but clearly within economic responsible frames. Looking for a backup player around 20 mill. Two summers ago that sum got you a definately starter.

I Don’t know what to think. Somehow it feels fine to not rely on the owners for spending, but for the club to build upon their own operation. It's like those spoiled kids with no integrity running to dad to flash their "style". When it starts it never stops.
The issue is that, unless we’re leaking money big time for some reason, the owners have put in an average of around 10m per season since Klopp’s been around. I’m not talking about some sugar daddy style owner investment. I’m saying we’ve not spent anything of not beyond what we’ve received from player sales. After last season’s earnings especially, it’s pretty pathetic.

The issue is that, unless we’re leaking money big time for some reason, the owners have put in an average of around 10m per season since Klopp’s been around. I’m not talking about some sugar daddy style owner investment. I’m saying we’ve not spent anything of not beyond what we’ve received from player sales. After last season’s earnings especially, it’s pretty pathetic.

Well it took them within a point of PL success and to two CL finals, while others who invested much more ended up in EL. So somehow they invested what was needed while they expanded the stadium.

And we'll owe plenty of money for all the players we've bought as well. Very few transfers around the world are paid in full at point of sale unless there for very small amounts, everyone pays in installments.
It's not only Coutinho we've sold in the same period either as Ward, Solanke and Klavan for went for about 33 million and recently we've sold Ings, Camacho and Mignolet for around 33 million again.
When i say we're skint I'm not suggesting we can't pay our bills but that we can't compete with rival clubs for the same calibre of player this summer and that by not investing we're gambling somewhat with all our top players staying fit and healthy.

And we'll owe plenty of money for all the players we've bought as well. Very few transfers around the world are paid in full at point of sale unless there for very small amounts, everyone pays in installments.
It's not only Coutinho we've sold in the same period either as Ward, Solanke and Klavan for went for about 33 million and recently we've sold Ings, Camacho and Mignolet for around 33 million again.
When i say we're skint I'm not suggesting we can't pay our bills but that we can't compete with rival clubs for the same calibre of player this summer and that by not investing we're gambling somewhat with all our top players staying fit and healthy.

Yeah we do. But the differnece is that Barca is desperate to get rid of a player where theys still Owe 80-90 Mill which there is no way they will recoupe. Hence my point about being smart when it comes to megadeals.

Yeah we do. But the differnece is that Barca is desperate to get rid of a player where theys still Owe 80-90 Mill which there is no way they will recoupe. Hence my point about being smart when it comes to megadeals.
I'm not sure how us not spending any money this summer on players makes us smart when it comes to megadeals. It might make us financially prudent perhaps but we don't really know who our targets might have been even if we did have the money this summer but by not buying then that certainly increases the chances of that player or players moving somewhere else and therefore less likely to sign of us next summer even if we do have the money then.
Attracting players surely should have been easier this summer as we're the reigning European champions and it feels like an opportunity lost to me but what the fuck do I know.
It's all ifs buts and maybes and none of us know definitively so why don't we agree to disagree on this okay.

If he was to come back from an injury this season, he'd be like a new signing anyway.

I like Shaq, but not sure where he fits in. He doesn't seem right in any of the front 3 positions, and he doesn't seem all that good in the 10. He seems to play best when he's given a free role sort of position towards the end of games when he's been brought on as a sub and tactics are out of the window. If he's starting a game though, he's seemed pretty ineffective so far.

It is not about going down or up. It is all about exploding in our faces. A few megarich Clubs owned by GulfStates has clearly destabilized normal inflation. it is insane, and even improved incomes doesn't weigh up for that. Do you think we could spend those money if Qatar/PSG didn't buy Neymar and opening the can of worms in Cataluina in the same moment? We could react to that but we can't be proactive and driving this market forward. We are not yet in that position. We have spent heavily but clearly within economic responsible frames. Looking for a backup player around 20 mill. Two summers ago that sum got you a definately starter.
Barca/ PSG's purchasing habits have not affected the market much, if at all. It's like saying Rolls Royce or MacLaren prices affect Jaguar's or BMW's. As a general rule they don't, they are totally different markets affected by differing economics to those that affect the general market.

They have bought megastars for fees that only two other clubs would pay (Real & Barca). This has little effect on the overall market. You seem to think that deals of say €60-80m are excessive. I'd say that they are really just where the market is, and not at all inflated (whether an individual player is worth that much is another question). Deals of €50m and up have been around regularly since 2000 ! All of these between 10 and 20 years ago (and arguably only 3 were in the top 3/4 players of that time).

I'd say it's an absolute fact that £20m wasn't a benchmark for a first team player two years ago ! Yes we got lucky with players like Robbo, but he certainly isn't a benchmark. The €60m we paid for Naby or the €79m Arsenal paid for Pepe is much closer to being the current benchmark - and it's not going down !

[xtable=skin1|border:1|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Cristiano Ronaldo{/td}
{td}Manchester United - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2009{/td}
{td}€94m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Zinedine Zidane{/td}
{td}Juventus - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€77.5m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Zlatan Ibrahimovic{/td}
{td}Inter - Barcelona{/td}
{td}2009{/td}
{td}€69.5m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Kaka{/td}
{td}AC Milan - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2009{/td}
{td}€65m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Luis Figo{/td}
{td}Barcelona - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2000{/td}
{td}€60m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Hernan Crespo{/td}
{td}Parma - Lazio{/td}
{td}2000{/td}
{td}€55m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Gianluigi Buffon{/td}
{td}Parma - Juventus{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€52m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Christian Vieri{/td}
{td}Lazio - Inter{/td}
{td}1999{/td}
{td}€49m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Gaizka Mendieta{/td}
{td}Valencia - Lazio{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€48m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Juan Sebastian Veron{/td}
{td}Lazio - Manchester United{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€46m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Rio Ferdinand{/td}
{td}Leeds United - Manchester United{/td}
{td}2002{/td}
{td}€46m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Last edited:
Barca/ PSG's purchasing habits have not affected the market much, if at all. It's like saying Rolls Royce or MacLaren prices affect Jaguar's or BMW's. As a general rule they don't, they are totally different markets affected by differing economics to those that affect the general market.

They have bought megastars for fees that only two other clubs would pay (Real & Barca). This has little effect on the overall market. You seem to think that deals of say €60-80m are excessive. I'd say that they are really just where the market is, and not at all inflated (whether an individual player is worth that much is another question). Deals of €50m and up have been around regularly since 2000 ! All of these between 10 and 20 years ago (and arguably only 3 were in the top 3/4 players of that time).

I'd say it's an absolute fact that £20m wasn't not a benchmark for a first team player two years ago ! Yes we got lucky with players like Robbo, but he certainly isn't a benchmark. The €60m we paid for Naby or the €79m Arsenal paid for Pepe is much closer to being the current benchmark - and it's not going down !

{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Cristiano Ronaldo{/td}
{td}Manchester United - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2009{/td}
{td}€94m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Zinedine Zidane{/td}
{td}Juventus - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€77.5m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Zlatan Ibrahimovic{/td}
{td}Inter - Barcelona{/td}
{td}2009{/td}
{td}€69.5m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Kaka{/td}
{td}AC Milan - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2009{/td}
{td}€65m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Luis Figo{/td}
{td}Barcelona - Real Madrid{/td}
{td}2000{/td}
{td}€60m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Hernan Crespo{/td}
{td}Parma - Lazio{/td}
{td}2000{/td}
{td}€55m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Gianluigi Buffon{/td}
{td}Parma - Juventus{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€52m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Christian Vieri{/td}
{td}Lazio - Inter{/td}
{td}1999{/td}
{td}€49m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Gaizka Mendieta{/td}
{td}Valencia - Lazio{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€48m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Juan Sebastian Veron{/td}
{td}Lazio - Manchester United{/td}
{td}2001{/td}
{td}€46m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Rio Ferdinand{/td}
{td}Leeds United - Manchester United{/td}
{td}2002{/td}
{td}€46m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

I don’t have any stats to prove you right or wrong... But quite a few of those transfers involver top 3 players in the world at that time. Others (Mendieta and Veron) were pure Madness and speculation with no real plan. And most of them involved money not accounted for by suspicous owners. Not many of those transfers led to long term success for clubs or player (Lazio, Inter etc at that time were backed by moneylanundring Mafias, while the Spanish giants and Juve allways spent others money) So these are not the Pepe, zichiersky og Fernández benchmarking We talked about.

However even I agree that 22 mill for Solanke in a position You are well covered shows that the market is insane and clubs have to much money .

Yes, one investment that we know grows tired of making the extra effort when owners don’t invest and end up leaving. Your glasses really can be red tinted Insig.

What are you on about. Klopp has stayed with 2 clubs in his managerial career. 7 years at both. He never ran out of Dortmund even if offers were steady and good from abroad . my guess is he will stay even longer here. He has been able to get his targets and he delivered with them... no hard feelings in the camp.

On the other hand I have been a strong and well quoted voice of Yanks out so me defending them is nothing to do with red tinted. Just an acknowledgement that we have done well lately .Very well.and We are set up to do well again.

If he was to come back from an injury this season, he'd be like a new signing anyway.

I like Shaq, but not sure where he fits in. He doesn't seem right in any of the front 3 positions, and he doesn't seem all that good in the 10. He seems to play best when he's given a free role sort of position towards the end of games when he's been brought on as a sub and tactics are out of the window. If he's starting a game though, he's seemed pretty ineffective so far.

He fitted in pretty well scoring two against the Mancs.
He's cover for front six. And a pretty decent player to turn to when required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom