• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

European Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet
Honorary Member
Top English clubs in bombshell talks to join European Premier League

A $6bn (£4.6bn) financing package is being drawn up to back the launch of a new European Premier League, Sky News can reveal.
By Mark Kleinman, City editor

Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape.
Sky News has learnt that financiers are assembling a $6bn (£4.6bn) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.

More than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.
As many as five English clubs could sign up to join it, with a provisional start date said to have been discussed as early as 2022.
Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season.

The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament, with prize money for the winners expected to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds each year.
One football industry figure said that a formal announcement about the plans was possible as soon as the end of this month, although on Tuesday a number of key details - including the full list of participating clubs - had yet to be finalised and the plans could still fall apart.

The lizards will want this to happen.

No doubt their plan for less PL games and no cups was to make room in the calendar for this.

And this will become the first part of Fifa revamping the World Club Championship.

So this would usurp the champions League and leave domestic leagues intact, initially atleast ?

So this would usurp the champions League and leave domestic leagues intact, initially atleast ?
That's what I think.

But equally this might be used as threat to leave the Premier League given the rejection of the recent changes that were sought by the combined lizard folk.

Reactions: HC
That's what I think.

But equally this might be used as threat to leave the Premier League given the rejection of the recent changes that were sought by the combined lizard folk.

Yeah there must be some deeper strategy here. The initial proposals were so obviously going to be voted down by other PL members that it would've hardly been worth bothering with unless it was part of a bigger plan.

I personally think it's designed to knock the fuck out of UEFA's Champions League.

FIFA and UEFA have it in for each other.

Can you imagine the CL if say ourselves, United , City, Chelsea and Arsenal are in a separate Euro competition. The champions League will have midtable teams qualifying for it , totally undermining the tournament.

I've a horrible feeling it's going to lead to some sort of franchise system that they have in US & Canadian sports.

Do you think we'll get a shiny new name as well?

Liverpool Reds?

We'll make a great franchise.

I do not see the appeal of fucking off the competition which has made us the 4th most successful team in the world of all time.

It’s bad but there is a silver lining. It could fuck over Everton and City.

Honestly i hope ‘they’ break it as in irreparably fuck up football to the point where fans don’t care anymore and they stop making silly money.

Do you think we'll get a shiny new name as well?

Liverpool Reds?

We'll make a great franchise.
I reckon they'll go for something like Liverpool Liver Birds, that way they'll have a ready mascot to use for merchandise.

Can't help but think if Liverpool and Man Utd are at the forefront of this then it's not just about the money they'd make (though that's the biggest factor obviously) but about making sure that Man City are excluded. If there's only 5 English teams to be involved then ourselves, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal I would guess are guaranteed places then it leaves Spurs and City fighting for the last place.

18 team league - thats 36 matches, then the play off bit at the end.

So for teams in this there is no national league involvement, right?

F'k this sh!t, I'm out

I mean i'd still follow Liverpool, but all the passion would be lost, I might watch the occasional game if I had nothing else on, but I wouldn't really care for us winning anything.

Kinda already feel a little like that this season with the lack of crowds if i'm honest, the non national element of the game, as in fans across the country watching their team, big or small, missing that is already killing it for me, but converting the supporting of your team, into effectively expensive packaged holidays, which is what this would do, would be next level.

Disappointingly the lack of fans at the moment, and the lack of the routine of going out week by week to see their team, is exactly why now is the perfect time for them to try this, thankfully however, I think this will fail miserably, just like all previous attempts.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. This story has come out a few times now.. domestic leagues threaten to sue... as does UEFA. UEFA offer more money, status quo resumes.

Only way this happens is if UEFA scrap the champions league and do it themselves.

Until then, there will be a vote and all 18 teams will say no and agree to work together to find a better solution.. etc

I don't know why anyone is surprised. This story has come out a few times now.. domestic leagues threaten to sue... as does UEFA. UEFA offer more money, status quo resumes.

Only way this happens is if UEFA scrap the champions league and do it themselves.

Until then, there will be a vote and all 18 teams will say no and agree to work together to find a better solution.. etc

I'm not surprised, but it's a real shithouse tactic to do it now when so many teams are on the brink of bankruptcy.

Is it time to renegotiate Champions League rights, yet?

This story seems to appear each time that happens accompanied by hysterical headlines and comments from the likes of the Daily Mail and it’s commentators, most of whom would even not have read the fine print.

The plan is that the CL is getting expanded in 24/25 with 4 extra match dates. So the two finalists play 17 games instead of 13.
Not sure how they are going to plan that in, but 34 league games would obviously free up that space, or binning the league cup.
The latter seem to be the most likely outcome, because decreasing the number of teams in the PL with surely get out voted.

I doubt a European Superleague will see the light of the World this time either. Its been discussed several times, but it doesnt seem very viable in the long run just playing these kinds of games across Europe.
A format of a summer tournament in one location with several of European top teams seems a more likely scenario, building on the CL friendly summer games.

All it means is more games for professional players that are already playing to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom