• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Everyone's favourite fullback is getting a new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says who? We spent £7m on the defender that needs a back-up/challenger.

I realise It is possible for a team to buy a player, from relative obscurity, for a low fee, and over the course of a season find they have a great player worth a lot more. It's kind of what just happened with Andy Robertson. Sadly this doesn't happen very often.

I think Albert is probably valued by the club at around £20m, seeing as how we previously rejected an offer of around £16m and I'd guess Robbo's value is much closer to £30m, being arguably the best left back in the league.

My valuations are probably well off the mark and I'm sorry about that but I thought I'd offer my opinion - if that's okay?

The point of my post was that I'm happy enough with Moreno being our back-up left back.
I think it would be daft to spend any money at all on this position.

If you're unhappy about the contract extension, how much do you think it would cost to just buy an upgrade on Moreno?
Barring another miracle buy, I'm saying around £20m.

But is it enough to just upgrade or would we need to buy a player capable of pushing Robbo? If yes, I think it would cost us, barring a miracle buy, around £30m and I'm not even convinced this player exists right now.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Moreno is worth £30m and I'm not suggesting we pay £30m for a backup left back.

He was a miracle signing though.
Robertson is now firmly amongst the best in the league in his position. It’s insane how he’s managed to up his game and fit right in after only a couple of disappointing games.
Credit to him and Klopp. I’m going to believe that the Brain has nothing to do with it :)

Dunno, there's a few of examples of players at top clubs who didn't cost much and were worth a lot more soon after. Look at the likes of Cahill, Delle Alli, Alderweireld, etc.

Usually they have to stop off somewhere smaller before the big jump, though, but most big clubs (including us, really) don't take the chance or act quickly enough

cf Kante, Van Dijk

Dunno, there's a few of examples of players at top clubs who didn't cost much and were worth a lot more soon after. Look at the likes of Cahill, Delle Alli, Alderweireld, etc.

Usually they have to stop off somewhere smaller before the big jump, though, but most big clubs (including us, really) don't take the chance or act quickly enough

cf Kante, Van Dijk
We’ve seen so many unsuccessful ones over the last couple of decades or more that I’d have been reluctanct to take that gamble. Our squads were always filled with shite we’d sign at around Robertson’s age and end up paying wages for the duration of their contract or letting them go on the cheap. So glad we took a gamble (very well calculated gamble I’m sure) and brought him in.

I was as guilty as some for thinking we'd overspent on Mane, Salah and Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'll trust Klopp on these ones.

Fair enough, I still don't buy it though

Incidentally, here's whoscored rating of his abilities
9f83e0acbb23289f4e90637ac52f9811.jpg
Scorecard is correct...but missing things like decision making under intense pressure and level of managerial direction required.

I think the scorecard represents the physical abilities that Klopp actually rates him for. Most players with that level of scorecard would be worth a lot when backed up with good decision making and good nerves under pressure like Ashly Cole types. So if Moreno is happy to sit on the bench the as 2nd choice its a very good option.

It's more than just a players out and out ability.

YES undoubtedly Moreno has on occasion made glaring errors but he has also shown a useful level of ability including this season where at times he was our best defender.

Perhaps what we have is a player people enjoy having around? The atmosphere among the players as a group...

I would have sold him myself but...

I'm not gonna get shooting at any one of our squad.

Milner had to play an entire season at LB because no one trusted this guy.

Back up is all well and good but if your first choice gets injured for 3 months that’s who you’re supposed to be relying on.

I don’t dislike him as much as some but I don’t see what he’s done to deserve a new contract unless it’s not being done for purely footballing reasons.

I think Lucas asked him to take over being the BBQ guy, so he's Bobby's best mate and that's why he's staying.

I think Lucas asked him to take over being the BBQ guy, so he's Bobby's best mate and that's why he's staying.

There's certainly something in this. He seems to be bezzies with Bobby, and has latched onto all our South Americans who have been here in his time at the club. Thing is, whilst Lucas looks like a man who could be trusted at a BBQ, Moreno looks like the sort of guy who throws the bottle of accelerant onto the coals to get it going maiming anyone within the vicinity.

Ffs.

He's Fucking woeful lads.

What the fuck are ye watching?

I'd much rather give the very promising u18 a chance as back up than this turnip.

Scorecard is correct...but missing things like decision making under intense pressure and level of managerial direction required.

I think the scorecard represents the physical abilities that Klopp actually rates him for. Most players with that level of scorecard would be worth a lot when backed up with good decision making and good nerves under pressure like Ashly Cole types. So if Moreno is happy to sit on the bench the as 2nd choice its a very good option.
Its also missing weaknesses like:
Gets caught AWOL up the pitch when the RB has the ball.
Lacks pace when running back
Dives in with the wrong leg.
Prone to a rash challenge in the area.

Its also missing weaknesses like:
Gets caught AWOL up the pitch when the RB has the ball.
Lacks pace when running back
Dives in with the wrong leg.
Prone to a rash challenge in the area.
I think it's been inverted by mistake

He's shit at crosses, hes shit at passing, he's not strong on the ball, and he can't fucking tackle

I hope this is just to keep his value up or something. I rooted for him to come good but he’s just a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom