• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Firmino, Salah, Mane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storm in a teacup. It's one of those that will be forgotten about by the players tomorrow.

What a piece of shit post. Salah got one assist? Firmino stole that ball!
Salah created ONE chance and Mane didnt? One?! Wow.

Generally Salah does create more than Mané regardless of this game. Which is not a slight on Mané btw.

Salah
2017/18 - 14 assists
2018/19 - 10 assists
2019/20 (so far) - 2 assists

TOTAL: 30 assists

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/108226/History/Mohamed-Salah

Mane

2017/18 - 8 assists
2018/19 - 2 assists
2019/20 (so far) - 1 assists

TOTAL: 11 assists

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/109915/History/Sadio-Mané

Also the bit higher up about Salah selfishness cost us games last season is a load of bollocks. Think it’s been discussed already before last season on the forum but don’t remember any facts to back that up either.
Can’t believe this thread is bigger than post match thread, Salah is selfish and so is Mané and it’s what makes them tick, drives them on. Hope neither of them changes and really doing Klopp would have had a go big go either post match after a big win, doesn’t sound like a Klopp thing to do especially so soon after.
Loved Firmino video on the middle of both, he is on another level this season already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally Salah does create more than Mané regardless of this game. Which is not a slight on Mané btw.

Salah
2017/18 - 14 assists
2018/19 - 10 assists
2019/20 (so far) - 2 assists

TOTAL: 30 assists

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/108226/History/Mohamed-Salah

Mane

2017/18 - 8 assists
2018/19 - 2 assists
2019/20 (so far) - 1 assists

TOTAL: 11 assists

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/109915/History/Sadio-Mané

Also the bit higher up about Salah selfishness cost us games last season is a load of bollocks. Think it’s been discussed already before last season on the forum but don’t remember any facts to back that up either.
Can’t believe this thread is bigger than post match thread, Salah is selfish and so is Mané and it’s what makes them tick, drives them on. Hope neither of them changes and really doing Klopp would have had a go big go either post match after a big win, doesn’t sound like a Klopp thing to do especially so soon after.
Loved Firmino video on the middle of both, he is on another level this season already...

Salah is better than Mane I think we can all agree on that. Personally, I'm just refering to today's game, not the past.
Also being the best player isn't an excuse to be selfish. In the end, the team comes first, right?

I think he was frustrated by Mo being selfish, which he is himself at times, and also with being subbed off when he felt there were still more goals in the game. To me the reaction was more like 'why am I being taken off when somebody else is out there playing for themselves'

I dont think selfishness in a striker is a bad trait, it keeps them sharp and hungry. Hunting for goals at 3-0 is not really an issue, Mane and Firmino had already scored and Mo wanted to get in on the act, if it was costing us points it would be different. Im sure they will both realise they could have handled it better and move on. The media will try and make a big story from this, its not. Not worth taking sides and having the fans get on players backs.

4 from 4 top of the league, we are purring along, this sort of shit isnt even on our radar.

39e8mn.jpg

If it was only this match that we've seen him not pass when others are better placed I might be in more agreement with Drennan. I do agree it's good to see him shooting with his right though.

I don't really get this "it's good for strikers to be greedy and selfish." I prefer, it's good for strikers to make the right decisions to maximise goals for the team not themselves.

Going back to one of the original points of my first post, Bobby really is the best in the world in this respect.

If it was only this match that we've seen him not pass when others are better placed I might be in more agreement with Drennan. I do agree it's good to see him shooting with his right though.

I don't really get this "it's good for strikers to be greedy and selfish." I prefer, it's good for strikers to make the right decisions to maximise goals for the team not themselves.

Going back to one of the original points of my first post, Bobby really is the best in the world in this respect.
He also doesn't score enough. If all three played like him we wouldn't score enough.

It's only deemed greedy or selfish if they don't score. Had Mane missed he'd have had people say he was selfish for not passing to Bobby.

Salah is better than Mane I think we can all agree on that. Personally, I'm just refering to today's game, not the past.
Also being the best player isn't an excuse to be selfish. In the end, the team comes first, right?
I don't think that is as one sided as your think. Mane has been clearly better than Salah in 2019 for Liverpool. A poll would be closer than you think.

The outrage that the topscorer in a team was a bit selfish at 3-0 up, its like that never happens.

They both want to score goals, they score goals and its all good with some passion.

A nothing story.

Personally I feel Salah's profile of player is a little easier to replace than Mane's. Although obviously both players are world class and replacing either would be difficult. This whole thing about Salah easily being our best player is rubbish.

Salah has had 1 ridiculous goalscoring season when no one knew him and a lot of teams focused on stopping our then best player Coutinho/Mane.

Since then and before then Mane has been our best attacker (player too before VVD came). Also Firmino isn't far behind. He really is the glue.

What I do find telling is how greedy both Salah and Mane can be at times and the one man who never complains is Bobby. Despite the fact he set them both up with countless assists.

I do think the greed between them could cost us a title. Last season I remember a few occasions when we almost dropped points because of Salah's greed. And the season before that, Mane cost us in a derby against Everton.

I don't think that is as one sided as your think. Mane has been clearly better than Salah in 2019 for Liverpool. A poll would be closer than you think.
Yes that's true, but I'm talking generally.

There is certainly a conversation to be had if we were to ask the question would we be more successful if Mane and Salah worked together more than competing to see who can get the most goals. There's been plenty of occasions where i lambasted both for not passing.
Suarez once apologised to Sterling for scoring and not squaring it to him

Bobby is great and brilliant for the system but we don’t need all 3 like them. Salah is unique and his close control in the box was great to watch in the game . Strikers have to be able to take the chance and have the responsibility. Really don’t get the big issue, better get used to it because he’s going the same all season long. If he has the guts to take it on as per arsenal 3rd goal or Southampton winner last season then in my opinion carry on.

Yes that's true, but I'm talking generally.
I think Mane is better currently and he is slightly more valuable to the team. He contributes goals and to our attacking play while also being ridiculously solid defensively. He's had a huge contribution in Robertson being the best LB in the world.

However, I think Mane is at his utmost peak now. Salah seems to now be working on his final touches as a player... he is desperate to gain that advantage again to be that 40 goal a year player. But he currently has to have Bobby and Hendo doing a lot of his covering and his output in 2019 doesn't quite match Mane's. His tendency to be selfish instead of killing off games has so far been mildly infuriating.... but I can see it coming to a boil in a crunch game... and I remember similarly to @LTW.

Somewhat strange timing for the various comments on Salah's "selfishness" above. He was starting to go that way in the latter part of last season but, so far this season when I've watched him, he's been less selfish rather than more as a general rule. There's never been a great striker who didn't have a streak of selfishness somewhere in his makeup anyway.

Last edited:
So we've got two strikers who both want the golden boot?

What a wonderful 'problem' to have!

I honestly have no issue with any of this, not Salah going for goal, or manes reaction.

Now, if it were April & they were doing it, I'd be pissed off, but as we saw last season, when it matters they all know just the win matters.

However, when you're 3-0 up, & top of the league, in August, if your striker who has proven he can be the best ever league goalscorer wants to be greedy, & your other striker wants to be just as greedy or angry he didn't get another goal, then I don't give a flying fuck.

So we've got two strikers who both want the golden boot?

What a wonderful 'problem' to have!

I honestly have no issue with any of this, not Salah going for goal, or manes reaction.

Now, if it were April & they were doing it, I'd be pissed off, but as we saw last season, when it matters they all know just the win matters.

However, when you're 3-0 up, & top of the league, in August, if your striker who has proven he can be the best ever league goalscorer wants to be greedy, & your other striker wants to be just as greedy or angry he didn't get another goal, then I don't give a flying fuck.

That is the ideal way to look at it, but unfortunately - I worry if there will be longer term consequences now that the feelings have been let out.

The gaffer has openly said he wants his players to be greedy and selfish. The players just need to get on with it. If we start dropping points because of it then it will become an issue.

The gaffer has openly said he wants his players to be greedy and selfish. The players just need to get on with it. If we start dropping points because of it then it will become an issue.
If we start dropping points because of it, it will likely be too late...

Oh dear - anyone watching MOTD2 just now ? - it got talked about again, and it looks like it was a case of Salah to Mane assists = 25, and Mane to Salah assists currently stands at 40+. They also showed some clips from last season - so you can understand Mane's frustrations.

Oh dear - anyone watching MOTD2 just now ? - it got talked about again, and it looks like it was a case of Salah to Mane assists = 25, and Mane to Salah assists currently stands at 40+. They also showed some clips from last season - so you can understand Mane's frustrations.

Yea, the numbers shown were

Passes, chances created, assists
Mane to Salah 177, 43, 7
Salah to Mane 172, 25, 4

Yea, the numbers shown were

Passes, chances created, assists
Mane to Salah 177, 43, 7
Salah to Mane 172, 25, 4
Thanks for correcting me. Looks like MOTD are doing everything to keep Mane's reaction in the media just to dig it into Klopp regarding his comments in the post match press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom