• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football Finance

[article]
Amazon is close to securing a groundbreaking deal to broadcast live Champions League football in the UK from 2024, with highlights returning to terrestrial TV for the first time in nearly a decade in a midweek BBC Match of Day show.
The US internet retailer and streaming giant, which already has a broadcast portfolio spanning Premier League football, tennis and rugby, is understood to be set to split the UK rights with existing holder BT Sport in a new deal with the governing body, Uefa, running from 2024 until 2027.

The BBC is understood to have secured rights to Champions League highlights for the first time, which it will reportedly broadcast in a new Wednesday night edition of Match of the Day.
[/article]

[article]
Manchester City's owners have completed their takeover of Serie BPalermo.

City Football Group (CFG) have bought Palermo today, as confirmed by the Sicilian club.

La Gazzetta dello Sport says City are paying €13m up front plus €2m in bonuses for the Rosanero.

In 2019, the club went bankrupt and had to start again in Serie D. Before the coming season, Palermo is back in Serie B.

They become CFG's eleventh club in their network.

[/article]

Pretty sure this is City because the report has them using "sister" clubs to do it, and I don't think any other "leading Premier League" clubs have sister clubs.
Slap on the wrist... again? At this point it's a bit Boris like.

"Wasn't us"
"Yes it was.."
"OK, but we didn't knowingly break any rules....soz".

"Wasn't us"
"Yes it was.."
Nadine is the minister for Sports, so I would suspect the dumb bat will make sure the owners of Oilchesters City are protected.

"Wasn't us"
"Yes it was.."
Not sure the FA / Premier League will be that arsed, although technically City will have made false declarations to them that their tax payments etc. are up to date (this is a regular compliance requirement for all PL clubs).
HMRC will go after them (and/or the affected players) for the tax but they can obviously afford it.
For anyone interested on the technical aspects, the issue is that they will have settled agent fees on behalf of players via the sister clubs but should have declared them so that they / the players would have to pay tax / social security on those fees that related to services provided by the agents to the players (by default, this is assumed to be half of the total cost). The liability, plus penalties and interest will be several million, possibly the low end of an eight figure sum. Agent fees for services provided to the club are just treated as normal expenses - VAT is recoverable and no employment tax liabilities arise.
HMRC is unlikely to go down the route of arguing fraudulent conduct, provided they get a nice tidy cash sum, but I suspect it is fraud.

Why does the FA even fucking bother any more?
Money.. as long as the palms are greased, they will let it go.

Faux outrage.. try and claim you are still relevant due to the 'pyramid'.. get a wedge. Old men happy in their gentleman's clubs slapping young women's and groping young men's arse's. Depending on their persuasion.

Rinse and repeat.

Money.. as long as the palms are greased, they will let it go.

Faux outrage.. try and claim you are still relevant due to the 'pyramid'.. get a wedge. Old men happy in their gentleman's clubs slapping young women's and groping young men's arse's. Depending on their persuasion.

Rinse and repeat.
Yep - It's so fucking obvious what will happen. To spangle things up a little - I'm not even going to say 'what will happen' just in case someone on an other forum wants to use my comment as an example of a 'demented, delusion LFC fan' - Thing is though..... Everyone knows who this is about and they also KNOW... What will happen..... Because it will happen... . Or maybe not.... Who knows?......

It will though.... And you know it...... And so do they,,,, :whistle:

[article]Serie A is now set to impose a salary cap on how much wages a club can spent from the 2023/2024 season onwards.

La Repubblica have reported recently that meetings were held between Federcalcio and the Serie A recently and also involving Serie B and Lega Pro. The meetings involved discussions about a potential change of rules for qualification into European competition and the liquidity index.

But the outlet claims that the meeting concluded with the decision that the Serie A will impose a salary cap from the 2023/24 campaign onwards. Only 80 percent of the total revenue of the club will be spent on transfer fees and salaries or otherwise, negotiations will be blocked.

There is a plan to take the percentage down to 70 percent in the 2024/25 season onwards, as other leagues start to implement the regulation as well. This will also be done to make sure that clubs don’t lose as much money as they are now.[/article]

I don’t see how salary caps can work any more with teams moving up highly incentivised bonus reward schemes based on achievements.

City would just pay everyone the basic salary cap and add in bonuses for things like turning up for training, not being dead or every time they get interviewed by Man City TV.

Last edited:
Interesting that Everton say they lost 150 million due to covid when their turnover that year was better than average.
Yeah, it’s almost like their claims are total horseshit.
That figure was only in Baxendale’s report. The actual accounts detailed much lower figures. I think Denise might have been on the sauce when she wrote her report and they were all too scared to tell her.

[article]According to Corriere dello Sport, the transfer has gone down extraordinarily well in the Italian capital and Dybala is a popular figure already.

In fact, the 28-year-old has broken Cristiano Ronaldo's record for the most jerseys shifted in a single day.

Ronaldo joined Juventus from Real Madrid in 2018 and his status as one of the world's best players brought tons of publicity.

It is no match for Dybala however as there is a 'total madness' to get a shirt with his name and number on the back.

Dybala is a five-time Serie A winner, but has struggled with injury in recent years.

He made 29 appearances in the league last season but only managed to score 10 goals.

There is no doubting his ability and Roma even offered to let him wear Francesco Totti's iconic number 10, which he donned for five years at the Allianz Stadium.

Dybala turned it down out of respect for the Giallorossi icon.

"I spoke to the general manager and he asked if I wanted to take number 10, which of course is so significant here because of everything Francesco Totti did," he said in his first interview as a Roma player.

"I think that shirt and that number should remain his because of what he means to the city and the fans. I thanked him because wearing a shirt like that requires a lot of respect and responsibility.

"I still see it as his shirt. Maybe I'll wear it one day but for now I'm happy to have number 21, which is the number I wore when I first started to be successful.

"Hopefully I'll now start being successful here too."

Roma finished sixth in the last campaign but lifted the Europa Conference League - their first major European honour - in May after defeating Feyenoord.[/article]

Last edited:
Oh boy, he's in for an experience...

Funny story... Simple Minds singer Jim Kerr got involved with a club in Sicily years ago - he was inundated with "proposals" from other football folks to invest in their opportunities for the next several years, and had to give it up eventually. Too much hassle. Buying a club in Italia has it's own unique experiences apparently.

Even buying pizza in Sicily comes with a health warning. Think Como is a bit less godfather

Not sure how Barca are the same value as Madrid? They've been selling their assets at discounted prices. Where as Madrid are turning in a profit

[article]
11 Premier League clubs land on latest top 20 global rich list

By Joe Prince-WrightMay 26, 2022, 12:40 PM EDT

Manchester United climbed one place, back into 3rd, in the global rich list, complied by Forbes, as clubs from the Premier League dominate the top 20 most valuable clubs.

Despite reporting severe financial issues and debt, Barcelona sit level with La Liga and El Clasico rivals Real Madrid ($5.1 billion each) atop the list, with 11 of the 18 remaining spots in the top 20 currently occupied by Premier League clubs.

Manchester United have a calculated value of $4.6 billion, with rivals Liverpool ($4.45 billion) and Manchester City ($4.25 billion) sitting just behind them in 4th and 6th, respectively.
“Under the right ownership, tarnished brands can be quickly turned into back into gems. Consider AC Milan. The Italian side was in financial ruins with negative equity of $37 million when Elliott Management took them over after its owner defaulted on a loan payment in 2018. Elliott invested hundreds of millions of capital into AC Milan, eliminated almost all of the team’s debt, lowered player spending relative to revenue and the team ended fiscal 2021 with positive equity of $70 million. At the same time, AC Milan improved on the pitch. Last May the team qualified for the Champions League for the first time in seven years and this season captured its first Serie A title in 11 years. The investment firm may soon sell AC Milan for in excess of $1.1 billion.”

11 of the top 20 clubs are from the Premier League, with three from Spain, three from Italy, two from Germany and one from France.
Below is the list of the top 20 in full.

List of most valuable teams

1) Real Madrid – $5.1 billion
2) Barcelona – $5.1 billion
3) Manchester United – $4.6 billion
4) Liverpool – $4.45 billion
5) Bayern Munich – $4.275 billion
6) Manchester City – $4.25 billion
7) Paris Saint-Germain – $3.2 billion
8) Chelsea – $3.1 billion
9) Juventus – $2.45 billion
10) Tottenham – $2.35 billion
11) Arsenal – $2.05 billion