• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Genk post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
I was watching with a stop-start stream, so hard to analyze anything – but I thought Keita and Ox midfield (+ the undroppable Fabinho) worked. We never had to step out of the second gear and Mane and Salah were uncharacteristically quiet until the last 15 minutes, but the midfield, aided by the excellent Firmino, stepped up with goals and creativity.

The number of chances we conceded should be a concern, but this has probably more to do with the enforced changes in defense – it was usually a long ball in behind the defense that gave us problems somehow rather than our midfield being dissected.

Last edited:
So I guess Salzberg losing was probably a good result for us, isn't it? If we beat them or even draw against them it is going to be difficult for them.

Great numbers for Naby, great goals for Ox and the front three really finding some nice interplay. Same team versus Spurs? Edit: ideally with TAA & Joel back.

I just want to say how much I enjoyed that second half (I did not see the first half). The fluency of our play was really nice to see, both Ox, and Nabi - kept the ball moving forward and the passing was very good to watch. It is probably the best football we have played all season, the inter-passing between the front three was getting better and better as the game went on, and this time the supporting midfield made you feel we would be relentless in attack. I know the opposition were not the best, and we conceded a silly goal - but 1-4 is a great away score regardless and we won away.

Also @bluebell - you picked a really really bad motherf*cking day to pick on the Ox with that thread of yours. You know - before he joined us and when we use to play Arsenal - i use to be most wary of him than any other member of that Arsenal team, and I use to get the same feeling that I get when I see Sane play for Man City. When we played City in the CL a couple of seasons ago - Pep was very specific in pointing to Ox as the biggest threat why ? - because like Sane when he gets going he is hard to stop just like Sane, and he has that blistering shot in his armour. He is going to get better so long as he can stay fit.

So I guess Salzberg losing was probably a good result for us, isn't it? If we beat them or even draw against them it is going to be difficult for them.

We play them last game away, so hopefully it doesn’t come to that *eek*

I was watching with a stop-start stream, so hard to analyze anything – but I thought Keita and Ox midfield (+ the undroppable Fabinho) worked. We never had to step out of the second gear and Mane and Salah were uncharacteristically quiet until the last 15 minutes, but the midfield, aided by the excellent Firmino, stepped up with goals and creativity.

The number of chances we conceded should be a concern, but this has probably more to do with the enforced changes in defense – it was usually a long ball in behind the defense that gave us problems somehow rather than our midfield being dissected.

Don't know why people get excited about short two feet passes and sideway passes?Watch he will be injured soon (Kieta)

Don't know why people get excited about short two feet passes and sideway passes?Watch he will be injured soon (Kieta)

well at least they are not passing backwards - I mean think how confused a moron like me gets, I keep thinking we will win the game if we put the ball in our own net.

Missed the first half as it was 3am over here. Glad I woke up to catch the second half. Measured control of the game not allowing them much chances except after our 4th goal. Louvren should have just sent it to row z.

Having rewatched the first half I have to say the feeling that Genk was causing our defense serious problems turned out to have be mostly an illusion: their first attempt with Samatta running onto a long clearance and shooting well wide was the only genuine, legal chance. The big Nigerian striker's 1 on 1 was a clear offside and would have been overruled by VAR had Alisson not saved it. The goal was correctly disallowed for offside. The dangerous cross by Ito that just evaded Samatta was offside as well (the linesman actually raised his flag on this one, finally). And that was just about all Genk created in the first half.

I think the biggest problem in the first half has been Salah not really being match fit and Mane also having a quiet game by his standards, coupled together with some understandable occasional sloppiness by Ox and Keita, who have been making their first ever start in midfield together. This meant that our slick passing in midfield didn't translate into much in terms of genuine attacking chances; then maybe on one or two occasions Keita or Ox tried to do too much and left Fabinho open (fortunately the birthday boy dealt with everything superbly). Ian Doyle in the Echo wrote that the "midfield experiment" with Ox and Keita "may not be seen again any time soon," let's hope he's wrong.

Last edited:
I felt Mané was fucked. He really needs a break. It was an exceptionally quiet game from him and still could’ve had a couple of goal. Robertson wasn’t getting the usual help from Mané coming back to help. I called for him to be brought off in the match thread once we got our third and still think that should’ve been the case.

First half the defenders/midfielders were sloppy, the weight of the passes were always suspect leading to turnovers where they break. Especially so from Keita, Ox and strangely Virgil. We also lack our usual intensity and Genk were more than willing to run full speed at us.

Second half we were in full control and they were chasing shadows. The game was done once Ox scored his second.

I stopped positing these ratings as some folks didn't like them and a few posters (bizarrely) started arguing the toss over the actual scores, but thought I'd post this one, if only for the Andy Robertson bit ...

KRC Genk 1 Liverpool 4: The Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Oct 23, 2019 | 1 comment
THAT midfield, aye.
I reckon there was a massive online storm beforehand. How the fuck isn’t he playing Henderson? And what the fuck is he doing playing Milner full back when it could be him, Henderson and Gini in the middle? The dream midfield? Fuck’s sake. Hasn’t got a clue, this cunt.
Alisson: 7
He’s tremendous, isn’t he? He just makes it all look so easy. The save after 10 minutes was amazing. Was sound that they didn’t bother mentioning or showing that he was offside like.
Milner: 8
Played like a number 10 which is sound until you realise everyone else is as well. One of our best players tonight.
Degsi: 6
I mean, it was mad the way he had to mark a literal fucking giant. That was a bit out of order. Actually thought the back two defended really well considering they had fuck all help first half.
Huge fan of his jockeying the ball out for a goalkick attempt that stopped on the line and resulted in him looking at it like a golfer trying to make his putt drop. It’s not going unless a train goes past, lad.
Marvellously he fucking tried it again, this time from 30 yards from the byline, like he was in the Winter Olympics having a lovely big game of curling without the fucking mop. What a fella.
Virgil: 8
Gave away a five-yard pass first half and other than that did some defending on his own against a man taller than our house, and that includes the chimney stack. Got a cob on with us giving it away in ridiculous positions with us ridiculously exposed which pleased me enormously.
He is just really, really, really good, isn’t he?
Robbo: 7
Lucky with the disallowed goal. He’s two yards behind our line. To be fair, he was probably just surprised to find himself at the back instead of overlapping Firmino and Mane.
Would like him to get a rest but then I reckon if you told him to go home and put his feet up and maybe watch the telly, you would get home to him having knocked through the living room into the kitchen, lashed a steel lintel up on his own, took the brick to the tip, and was halfway through knocking a fucking roast rib of beef together.
Chambo: 8
Great movement to find space, great touch and great finish for the first goal. Offered no balance in midfield first half whatsoever and gave it away a bit, but so what? Lad, he’s just flicked one with the outside of his foot in off the bar. Unreal goal, that. Better once he scored the second.
Fabinho: 7
Eh, happy birthday lad.
Great ball to Oxo for his goal. Had an awful lot to do in the middle without the ball first half. When I say the middle I mean the middle, the whole middle and nothing but the middle of the pitch. Every other fucker was having a disco upfront. Was made up when Naby came to give him a lift second half.
Keita: 8
Hahaha, that first minute pass with his back. Jesus Christ take him off and wrap him in a bubble.
Tremendous when he is on the front foot, constantly taking people out of the game, linking the play, getting The Reds going. That said, he can’t really run backwards at all. That’s absolutely sound if he is set up in a side that allows for that, but not when every cunt is in their box and you are asking him to play one of them wide centre mid positions.
The ball through in the lead up to Chambo’s goal is fantastic. Much better second half when he basically ran the show.
Mo Salah: 8
Misheaded one from five yards at 1-0 that should have defo been a goal. Gave it away too easily all night really and couldn’t really get in the game until he set up Sadio out of nothing. Takes his goal really well. Great strength. Unreal strength, actually. Lovely turn and finish.
Firmino: 7
The little flick through for the Sadio chance was scandalous. Probably needs some form of inter-governmental enquiry. Root and branch stuff. Our best forward, looked after the ball first half, didn’t stop working, (I know) and combined brilliantly with Mo to set up Sadio’s goal.
Sadio: 7
Like his mate, couldn’t get into it all night then bang. One chance, one brilliant finish. Was great once he scored.
SUBS
Joey Gomez:

Did really well to cover round and then loved his little volleyball effort to get a yellow.
Gini:
Come on and added absolute balance. Great work to pinch the ball for Sadio’s goal.

I reckon there was a massive online storm beforehand. How the fuck isn’t he playing Henderson? And what the fuck is he doing playing Milner full back when it could be him, Henderson and Gini in the middle? The dream midfield? Fuck’s sake. Hasn’t got a clue, this cunt.

Yeah, that was exactly my reaction...

You mightn't get excited about those passes, but he was crucial to the tempo we established, especially in the second half, where they were mainly chasing shadows. And he did not only pass sideways, he absolutely did look to penetrate. I thought Keita was excellent.

I felt Mané was fucked. He really needs a break. It was an exceptionally quiet game from him and still could’ve had a couple of goal. Robertson wasn’t getting the usual help from Mané coming back to help. I called for him to be brought off in the match thread once we got our third and still think that should’ve been the case.

Not sure I agree about being fucked. He played his best football of the night from the 70th minute and onwards when they tired. Not really the sign of a player that is wrecked.

Not sure I agree about being fucked. He played his best football of the night from the 70th minute and onwards when they tired. Not really the sign of a player that is wrecked.

Yeah, both he and Salah finished the game really well after being very hit and miss for most of the match.

You mightn't get excited about those passes, but he was crucial to the tempo we established, especially in the second half, where they were mainly chasing shadows. And he did not only pass sideways, he absolutely did look to penetrate. I thought Keita was excellent.

He also breaks up play loads which in tandem with Fabinho is pretty powerful. Happy that he is sharp and in contention for more games

Those lovely little bits of interplay for both the third and fourth goal will have done the front three the world of good. When it clicks it tends to click for a while and it hasn't done that since fuck knows when.

Agreed. They could and should have had more, but the last quarter of the game they started playing together as we know they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom