• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Glen Johnson retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
aged 34 hes retired from the game.

Played almost half his games for us.
I really liked him, i thought he was a very good defender.

Not part of a great side for us sadly.

Seeing as he was released in the summer and no clubs seemed interested, I'd say the game retired him rather than he retired from it. But he was a decent player who never quite reached his full potential. Strangely diffident sort of chap.

I liked Glen, but his time with us will not be that memorable.
Fuck, if we're being honest Arbeloa made a bigger impact.

I had wanted us to sign Johnson the window before his form exploded at Portsmouth, but I was delighted when we finally got him. Fans complained about the fee, but I had been convinced after watching many of his Portsmouth performances. Even I was taken back by the impact he made when he first joined. He had gone up another level and was putting in world-class performances for the first 4-5 months of the campaign. His form after that period very slowly and minimally declined almost week on week. He slowly became back to being a very good fullback until injuries rendered him fairly average. He lost that burst of acceleration, he stopped cutting in towards goal, making him predictable, and he put on a bit of weight and was slow on the turn. He was never bad, but he had lost what he was.

He was certainly a very good player and proved his transfer fee, but he never quite kicked on like we had hoped, or force himself into the hearts of the fans as Robinson has done.

I hated him as a player, before and during his time at Liverpool. If you need to explain the term "lack of concentration" in a defender, any Glen Johnson game will serve as a perfect example. He's had some good moments, but the last couple of years at LFC were just painful.

His bird was ridiculous. One of the few that you'd crawl through a mile of broken glass just to hear her fart through a walkie talkie, or other similar cliche.

His bird was ridiculous. One of the few that you'd crawl through a mile of broken glass just to hear her fart through a walkie talkie, or other similar cliche.
Is he still with her? Or do I need a name to Google?

Would you eat her shite with a rusty spoon?

This post has to include a picture of this cliche.

Hmm.. she’s pretty, sure, but broken glass for a fart?

images

Dreamy says:

As you were

I liked Johnson. At his best he was great but he wasn't consistent enough, and was prone to defensive lapses and stupid mistakes.

He was quite a "modern" fullback in that respect (cf Kyle Walker) with his pace and attacking prowess, plus one goal a season, where viewed as essential to how the team was set up

I don't think that was her. I got in a lift with him and some girl and she was unreal. I had to look away in case I jizzed my pants

I don't think that was her. I got in a lift with him and some girl and she was unreal. I had to look away in case I jizzed my pants
Maybe it was before she had all those kids. Those wee bastards suck all your life force and beauty.

Maybe it was before she had all those kids. Those wee bastards suck all your life force and beauty.
Speak for yourself, I get better looking as the years go by. I'm like a bottle of chateaux neuf du pap. Or something.

This thread is incomplete without mentioning that he once was busted for stealing a toilet seat from a hardware store.

He also scored an own goal on my first visit to Anfield.

Somehow still mostly liked him though.

He was amazing in his first season. Average to poor after.

Scored a cracker against Chelsea.

I didn’t realise he was here that long.

He was amazing in his first season. Average to poor after.

Scored a cracker against Chelsea.

I didn’t realise he was here that long.
Real shame he seemed to lose all attacking instincts. We could never fully rely on him as an out and out defender, so that attacking part of his game was key to how we could play when we had the ball, and how the opposing left sided players would play (with apprehension) when we didn’t.

I liked the courage he showed during the Suarez fiasco when he as a black player publicly swam against the tide and stood by his teammate and the club. In playing terms he was excellent to begin with, but his time with us was a story of diminishing returns and (though I found some of the stick aimed at him overdone) it gradually became harder to defend his displays. However, for his conduct during a difficult time I'll always be in his corner.

Glen Johnson YNWA.

Worth remembering we came within inches of the title with him as our right back.

And Jon Flanagan as our left back.

He may not have got an offer of course but, if he did and turned it down, I rather admire that TBH. He'll be minted by now anyway and I rather like the idea that he'd sooner spend the necessary time and effort building a life here for himself and his family.

He may not have got an offer of course but, if he did and turned it down, I rather admire that TBH. He'll be minted by now anyway and I rather like the idea that he'd sooner spend the necessary time and effort building a life here for himself and his family.
Indeed. Was just thinking of how Ashley Cole is still somehow at it and the done route for old English players to take a year or two for cash in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom