• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Glen Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Well-Known
Not sure how to quote twitter but apparently he's just posted:

'Absolutely clueless'.

Not sure who or what he's talking about. Maybe himself?
Ship him off at the end of the season.

he has another year left on his contract doesn't he ? And rodgers said a while ago that they wanted to sort an extension for him but lets see . i wouldn't be too surprised if this is his last season with us .

it's ironic cause at times you'd think he was chilling on his sofa the way he's so complacent .

Hes a load of me hoop

Finnan & arbeloa are the type of full back we need. Can help in attack but can actually defend.

That's the priority.

Not sure how to quote twitter but apparently he's just posted:

'Absolutely clueless'.

Not sure who or what he's talking about. Maybe himself?
Ship him off at the end of the season.

This is exactly what I said in the post match thread. According to my sober self his lack of covering was the reason our centre banks were exposed

Thought for years that he sometimes plays like hes taken a load of valium before a game, never used to have any real problem with him because the pros seemed to outweigh the cons, makes me think maybe the fans that have never rated Johnson were right all along? this season he really has been pathetic, probably our worst regular player and in a season where we really needed him to be up for it.

Bar a handful of games hes been carried all season long, not sure how much i buy that playing with an injury excuse either, hes been just as cack when he is mean't to be normal.

Out of all of our players you get the impression he would be one of the last ones that would run through a wall for the club and manager.

Thought for years that he sometimes plays like hes taken a load of valium before a game, never used to have any real problem with him because the pros seemed to outweigh the cons, makes me think maybe the fans that have never rated Johnson were right all along? ........

Out of all of our players you get the impression he would be one of the last ones that would run through a wall for the club and manager.

yeah today I got a rude awakening today - I think people who complain about him regularly may have a point. Agree on that last point - he really seems like he would not run through a wall for the club or manager. Sometimes he has a look that suggests his mind is somewhere else during a game.

The fact that he took to Twitter that soon after the game is the most tragic thing about this.

More tragic than that is he actually had a blinding first half. Defended well up against a pacy and tricky winger, he was full of running down the right hand side and always made himself available.

He needs selling. Shame, it really is because he should be a top footballer.

yeah today I got a rude awakening today - I think people who complain about him regularly may have a point. Agree on that last point - he really seems like he would not run through a wall for the club or manager. Sometimes he has a look that suggests his mind is somewhere else during a game.

Its been all season really, today was the icing on top of the dog shit cake.

One stat that would be interesting to know if it exists is how many crosses he blocks compared to other full backs, he surely has to be one of the worst.

He was really good first half, atrocious the second. I'd keep him as back up if he reduced his wages and we got another right back in. But that's never going to happen so we might as well sell.

The fact that he took to Twitter that soon after the game is the most tragic thing about this.

I would have done the same if people were writing racial abuse.
He was at fault for two goals but obvs doesnt deserve that.

This is exactly what I said in the post match thread. According to my sober self his lack of covering was the reason our centre banks were exposed

TBH this seems to be a popular point of view on here that IMHO is incorrect. Though comes as no surprise as most abuse is from the Johnson haters (not sure if you fall into that camp yet).

It was quite obvious that Rodgers had set both Johnson and Flanegan to be very high up the pitch, like on the edge of the final 1/3 most of the time to provide width to stretch that Back 6 of Palace's Chelsea-like copycat defence. The commentators highlighted it a few times (ringing the players during play with their new-found TV tech). This for most of the match worked well and Johnson was involved in many fine attacking moves. However it is no surprise that towards the end of the match, when Rodgers should have put us into consolidation-mode, they were flagging. Given how much running they had done up and down their respective wings.

Lucas and Gerrard were supposed to be doing the covering but Lucas was anonymous and Gerrard seemed to have lost his discipline trying to drive us forward for more goals. All three goals conceded were from breakaways where both Flano and Johnson had to burst lungs to get back so I find it very hard to understand any criticism of their 'positional frailty' and 'lack of covering' Which is what SG & Lucas were there for when the FBs drove forward.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I have some sympathy for him last night. He was expected to overlap all day long, and was out of steam in the last 20. Rodgers should have spotted that and gave him some back up.

Yup - we ask our fullbacks to do more than is humanly possible at times.

That said their only threat in the first 70 mins was long range shots, drawing some good saves from Ming. Not closing down on the first goal was just sloppy from Johnson

I came in here to post exactly what Gerry said. I'm not a fan either, but I thought he was top class in the first half. Him and Flanno were run ragged, as they were playing so high up the pitch. At 3-0 up Rodgers should've have asked them to ease off a bit. He was at fault for 2 goals, but it could just as easily have been Flanno.

He's inconsistent to say the least. Our defence has been poor all bloody season and if we're going to get any where in the Cl or repeat out league form then he needs replacing. He's always been much better at attacking than defending, but now that his attacking isn't all that, I don't see the point in him. If you're reading this, sorry Glen.

I came in here to post exactly what Gerry said. I'm not a fan either, but I thought he was top class in the first half. Him and Flanno were run ragged, as they were playing so high up the pitch. At 3-0 up Rodgers should've have asked them to ease off a bit. He was at fault for 2 goals, but it could just as easily have been Flanno.

I can only blame the manager for this. If he had changed the tactics to shut up shop at 3-0 up with 15 mins to go, and stood there making sure our fullbacks tucked in and stayed solid, I'm sure we would have won. I think the players just kept doing what they'd been instructed to do, and it cost us.

I can only blame the manager for this. If he had changed the tactics to shut up shop at 3-0 up with 15 mins to go, and stood there making sure our fullbacks tucked in and stayed solid, I'm sure we would have won. I think the players just kept doing what they'd been instructed to do, and it cost us.
Agreed.

Yeah, it is his fault. Hindsight is great. But it's that style of play that got us this far, he'd be in for a lot of abuse if he actually changed our style and it didn't work out. I don't really blame him for not changing things.

I do think he'll have a lot to think about over the summer though, and we may be a bit wiser next season.

I know his style got us here, but come on, 3-0 up with 15 mins to go and no hope of making up the goal difference, you HAVE to take that win. We didn't even change after the first one went in, we thought we could go up the other end and get it back, even after all the lessons where we've stuggled over the line after getting a good lead.

You're talking hindsight. At 3-0, most people thought we could get another two or three. And if we had, you wouldn't have been saying stop at 3.

Do you see Johnson for their first goal? He pulled a 'Kolo special' the shithouse. He turned to his side when delaney shot so that the nasty football wouldn't hurt his pretty little face.
He'll want a payrise to extend his contract this summer. He can fuck right off.

You're talking hindsight. At 3-0, most people thought we could get another two or three. And if we had, you wouldn't have been saying stop at 3.

No. I'm most definitely talking foresight. We started the night 9 goals behind City on GD. Based on the most common scenario being discussed, both teams win their remaining games and GD coming into play, we faced a minimum total of 11 goals to catch up over two games; 9 + min 2 more from two City wins. All of this was pre-match thinking for everyone, I'm sure.

At 75 mins into the game we had reduced that 11 goal requirement to 8 more goals over 105 mins (15 + 90 Newcastle game). Even with our attacking prowess that's a massive task at the best of times; a goal every 13 minutes from then to the end of the Newcastle game, without conceding and with City only winning their matches by a single goal each time.

It just was not going to happen, even in our wildest dreams. So, with all that foresight jumping up and down and waving its arms for everyone to see at 75 mins, we really needed to take the win. And even more so at 3-1. Suarez was knackered and sat on the hoardings at one point, Sterling was needing to come off, Surridge only just back from injury; and we needed all those players for the next game. But nothing changed; we charged forward without a care in the world. And threw it all away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom