• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gordon Banks RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely awesome keeper, I remember that save live, pity we still went down 1-0. Tragic that he was involved in that car crash where he lost an eye.

A great goalkeeper who always seemed very likeable and down to earth. Shankly took him to the Kop when he'd announced his retirement.

h_00244146.jpg

RIP

He was pretty much at the end of his career when I started watching but I recall he was revered as a top 'keeper and of course as a World Cup winner.

RIP

He was pretty much at the end of his career when I started watching but I recall he was revered as a top 'keeper and of course as a World Cup winner.

He was also a real gent whenever people wanted to interview him or just have a chat. In stark contrast to Peter Shilton, who is notorious for demanding certain amounts of money before doing even the most brief and mundane interview. I hope Shilton waived his fees, for once, when he commented on Banks this morning. He was his apprentice at Leicester and learned a lot from him, but, sadly, not his class.

Never saw him play live but along with Matthews was one of my dads footballing heroes, heard more than enough about him!

And supposedly almost signed for us:

"When Leicester put me up for sale I saw Roger Hunt at an international match," said Banks, speaking to the BBC. "He said: 'Don't sign for anybody - Bill Shankly is coming for you.'

"I thought to myself 'that'll do for me'. Liverpool had been a top side for a number of years.

"I sat and waited and the weeks went by and I thought they were supposed to be coming for me.

"Eventually the manager at Leicester came up to me and said Stoke are interested and would I like to speak to them. So I signed for Stoke."

Reactions: HC
Three-time World Cup winner Pele said on social media: "I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family he was so proud of.
"Rest in peace, my friend. Yes, you were a goalkeeper with magic. But you were also so much more. You were a fine human being."

"I scored so many goals in my life, but many people, when they meet me, always ask me about that save. While it was indeed phenomenal, my memory of Gordon is not defined by that - it is defined by his friendship. He was a kind and warm man who gave so much to people.
"So I am glad he saved my header - because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure."

Possibly an even better save than against Brazil, the speed of the ball and Banks' reaction time to get his hand up to force the ball over the bar.

Possibly an even better save than against Brazil, the speed of the ball and Banks' reaction time to get his hand up to force the ball over the bar.

Poor penalty, close to the keeper and the right height.

5/10

He was clearly a fab keeper, and sadly Shilton's rep seemed to ride on his coat tails. Banks was UEFA keeper of the year 6 times, and there was then this seeming acceptance from the English media that English keepers must be the best in the world. No. Banks was the best of his generation in the world and clearly very special. Shilton was a good keeper but there were deffo better in his generation. Yes, I'm obviously thinking of Pat Jennings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom