• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Grujic Granted Work Permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

manwithnoname

Bravo old man. Bravo.
Banned
After "personal testimony" from Klopp.

So he's free to play in pre-season. OK, great. But now he's properly here, does anyone actually know anything about him at all?

I keep reading "powerful" and "box to box" but frankly, after the Lucas/ Vickery debacle, I don't believe anything.

But we've paid a decent fee, he's young, Klopp rates him......so what's he like? Will he play much?
More importantly, will I like him?

He's tall and he's been likened alot to Matic. He was pushed further forward last season to varying degrees of success, but he has a good long range pass and the physical attributes that might dovetail well with Can.

He's tall and he's been likened alot to Matic. He was pushed further forward last season to varying degrees of success, but he has a good long range pass and the physical attributes that might dovetail well with Can.

I wonder if he might be a more regular starter than most people expect? Suppose that all depends on pre-season.

It's plausible. Klopp wanted him in January I believe, to let him bed in for 5 months ahead of next season. It wasn't to be but that sounds as though he's earmarked to make an impact soon. I hope Klopp isn't spending money here there and everywhere on players that will go out on loan for a few years, cf our recent policy with young players.

It's plausible. Klopp wanted him in January I believe, to let him bed in for 5 months ahead of next season. It wasn't to be but that sounds as though he's earmarked to make an impact soon. I hope Klopp isn't spending money here there and everywhere on players that will go out on loan for a few years, cf our recent policy with young players.

Klopp isn't one for loaning players. He's obssessed with training them.

That might be a slight problem if that faith and persistence means we suffer in the short-term, though. We need to challenge and win trophies now.

Some of the kids on twitter seems to think he's going to be a revelation, the reality is that he'll be somewhere between Alberto and Biscan.

Some of the kids on twitter seems to think he's going to be a revelation, the reality is that he'll be somewhere between Alberto and Biscan.

Why? He seems very highly rated. Buvac wanted us to sign him and had been following him for a long time. That makes me at least pretty confident that he has a lot of potential.
Think he's gonna be pretty boss myself but he'll take some time to develop.

Why? He seems very highly rated. Buvac wanted us to sign him and had been following him for a long time. That makes me at least pretty confident that he has a lot of potential.
Think he's gonna be pretty boss myself but he'll take some time to develop.
We always seem to get hyped for these unknown gems and they almost always seem to disappoint, I'm also being slightly flippant as I've not been impressed by any of his clips on youtube.

Last edited:
We always seem to get hyped for this unknown gems and they almost always seem to disappoint, I'm also being slightly as I've not been impressed by an of his clips on youtube.

True, but at least now we know that this kid has been recommended by Buvac/Klopp and they have a proven track record in finding these gems.
Gives us hope at least.

In fairess, that El Zhar lad looked like the next Messi on his youtube video. Shelvey looked like Xabi Alonso.

We always seem to get hyped for these unknown gems and they almost always seem to disappoint, I'm also being slightly flippant as I've not been impressed by any of his clips on youtube.
How many were hand-picked by Klopp and Buvac though ? Though maybe those two also went by Youtube clips ;)

I don't know what the quality of the Serbian superleague is like, but he certainly appears to have had a good season.

Wiki says thusly:

Liverpool[edit]

Throughout autumn, Grujić was scouted by a number of high-profile European teams, including Liverpool, Internazionale, Juventus, Chelsea, and Milan. Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp called Grujić personally to convince him to switch to Anfield, but initially Grujić's father was against his son moving to Liverpool.[5] Jurgen Klopp's assistant, Željko Buvač, flew to Belgrade to speak with Grujić and on 6 January 2016, it was confirmed that Grujić completed his move to Premier Leagueside Liverpool, signing a five-year deal for a reported fee of £5.1 million.[6][7] Upon joining, Grujić hailed Klopp for convincing him to join and told the press, "I would choose Liverpool over Real Madrid and Barcelona."[8] He was immediately loaned back to Red Star until the end of the season for a fee of £740,000, and won the SuperLiga with Red Star while on loan. Grujić finished the season with 29 appearances, 6 goals, 7 assists and was voted into the SuperLiga Team of the Year for his contribution to Red Star's unbeaten season.[9]
International career[edit]

Grujić has represented Serbia at all youth levels from under-16 to under-21, and was a member of the Serbia squad which won the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup inNew Zealand.[10] In May 2016, Grujić made his full international debut for the Serbia national team against Cyprus after coming on in the place of Nemanja Matićin a 2:1 win.[11]
Style of play[edit]

Standing at 6-foot-3-inches (1.90m), Grujić has been described as "tall, rangy, comfortable on the ball and with a good range of passing" and dubbed the 'new Matić' because of his likeness in both appearance and position to fellow Serbian defensive midfielder Nemanja Matić.[10] He has also been compared to Premier League legends Yaya Touré and Patrick Vieira, with his large stature and athleticism making him "quick to reach both penalty areas without ever seeming to be reaching top speed".[12]
Statistics[edit]

Club[edit]

As of 23 May 2016[13]
[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{th=rowspan:2}Club{/th}
{th=rowspan:2}Season{/th}
{th=rowspan:2}Division{/th}
{th=colspan:2}League{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Cup{/th}
{th=colspan:2}League Cup{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Europe{/th}
{th=colspan:2}Total{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{th}Apps{/th}
{th}Goals{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:4}Red Star{/td}
{td}2012–13{/td}
{td=rowspan:3}Serbian SuperLiga{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2014–15{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2015–16{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}30{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}39{/th}
{th}6{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}41{/th}
{th}6{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:2}Kolubara (loan){/td}
{td}2014–15{/td}
{td}Serbian First League{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}5{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}5{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=rowspan:2}Liverpool{/td}
{td}2016–17{/td}
{td}Premier League{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{/tr}
{tr}
{th=colspan:3}Career Total{/th}
{th}44{/th}
{th}8{/th}
{th}2{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}0{/th}
{th}46{/th}
{th}8{/th}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Massive apologies for the music, but for a 20 year old I think he looks fucking excellent in this vid. Could turn out to be a bargain.

Massive apologies for the music, but for a 20 year old I think he looks fucking excellent in this vid. Could turn out to be a bargain.

No apology needed. The music is well-chosen to highlight the inevitability of his development into a superstar, and a mounting excitement as this becomes obvious.

If that music wasn't bad enough for you, here's one that should hit the spot:

He looks like a right awkward bastard to play against. Absolutely massive so wins everything in the air, but surprisingly nimble and excellent with the ball at his feet.

Another Central Midfielder we've been linked with (and bought), who seems very comfortable taking players on and driving forward from midfield, clearly something Klopp is very keen on.

That's a bit presumptuous given 99% of LFC fans have never seen him play, and 100% have never seen him play in the Premiership for Liverpool.

merely pointing outing the article saying he plays like a Matic, which is a good sign as we need someone to sit in front of the defense.

Had kind of assumed he was an attacking midfielder

I do like the look of him. From that video he's much less clumsy than I thought he'd be. Looks pretty decent with the ball at his feet. A bit of Patrick Vieira in there somewhere.

I reckon he'll be backup to Can for the deepest lying midfield player.

But we could all be awfully wrong and he'll end up closer to the number 10 position.

He definitely doesn't look like a deep lying midfielder to me. Box to box midfielder who does a bit of everything.

What was your initial opinion on Coutinho and Can?

There obviously must be something about him if he's getting called up to the national team.

Possibly a ross barkley type player except his doesn't always run with his head down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom