• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

no Hengo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rashfords figure isn't money he gave himself, it includes the donations made to a food charity that he became an ambassador for.

He tweeted about it recently, a lot of it is money coming from companies / organisations that he has partnered with.

Appearance based.

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson is expected to end the uncertainty surrounding his future after striking an agreement in principle to sign a new long-term contract with the Anfield club.

The Athletic revealed in July that talks between the two parties were not progressing, raising the possibility of Henderson leaving in the current transfer window or as a free agent next summer. But dialogue continued and then advanced significantly when the 31-year-old England midfielder returned from a post-Euro 2020 holiday earlier this month.

Liverpool proposed an improved deal spanning three years with the option of a fourth contingent on how many appearances he makes. Henderson has not yet put pen to paper but that is the direction of travel and will come as a huge boost to the 19-time English champions and their supporters.

Manager Jurgen Klopp is understood to have played a pivotal role in turning around a complicated and sensitive situation, which nobody involved wanted to have a detrimental impact on the squad.

“It is important but it will happen,” the German explained about the process in a news conference on Friday. “We will sort it, however it will be. We will sort it. No doubt about that. It will get sorted.”

Klopp was determined to avoid a repeat of what happened with Georginio Wijnaldum, whose recent move to Paris Saint-Germain was a result of unsuccessful negotiations to renew his terms. PSG coach Mauricio Pochettino also admires Henderson while Atletico Madrid and Roma have been linked too. If Liverpool’s owner Fenway Sports Group (FSG) gave an impression they might countenance his exit, such suitors may retain an interest regardless of a new contract.

The Henderson impasse was not about money, rather his role in the team and how FSG view him going forward. The Sunderland youth product believes he can continue to shine in a way that inspired Liverpool to Champions League glory in 2019 and the Premier League crown a year later.

Henderson’s impact is underlined by statistics — Liverpool perform better with him in the line-up than without — and he did not wish to be retained by FSG if that was only for his leadership skills. The groin injury that disrupted his 2020-21 campaign was overcome as Henderson helped England to the European Championship final and although he was not included in Liverpool’s squad for the 3-0 win at Norwich City on Saturday, it is hoped he will be in contention for Burnley’s visit next weekend.

Henderson excelled in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Aston Villa at Anfield yesterday, alongside Thiago Alcantara and others who were in need of some extra minutes on the pitch.

He is said to have conducted himself impeccably throughout and is now on track to join Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho and Alisson in extending their careers on Merseyside over the past fortnight.

Improved? I hope not financially. Very happy to see him sign a new deal but he's only going to decline over the next few years. A 3+1 based on the club's assessment is OK if we use Milner as the blueprint but have to doubt Hendo's durability as he ages, he's not as robust as Millie.

Maybe his bonuses will increase like appearances, goals, assists and trophy haul. Not so much his basic wage.

By all account he's on about £130-140k per week (probably includes appearances, goals bonuses etc). Given Trent, Fabs, Bobby and Ali are all on more (around 180k before bonuses) then it's not unreasonable for him to expect a bump given his importance over the last few years and his captaincy. He won't be getting the £200k+ reserved for Mo and VVD, I'd expect the new contract to be more in line with the others listed. Also, let's face it, while we don't want everybody on silly wages there's no doubt £200k is the new benchmark towards the top of the game, especially for title winning teams.

Get Mo's contract sorted in the next few weeks and we'll have the core of our team committed for the next 3 years, ie. the same amount of time Klopp is contracted for. That sort of stability, assuming it's supplemented with fresh transfers and developing talents like Elliott, provides an excellent platform to go and achieve further success.

In excess of £250k per week. He's on £165k a week after tax at PSG. We made the right call.

that’s what he ended up getting though isn’t it, i didn’t his stay at Liverpool amount was that much

I think a 3 year deal with option for 4th is correct, Klopp wanted it to happen so only right we gave honoured that for him ... then again Klopp would probably want Milner Virgil Mane Salah all tied down for another 20 years if he could.

A fit Hendo is still a very important 1 to this team, his leadership is unquestionable. ..With Wijnaldum is was a different case, he was just not very good.

that’s what he ended up getting though isn’t it, i didn’t his stay at Liverpool amount was that much

There's no way to be certain, but various sources put his demands at well above £200k a week. Given how protracted the whole thing was, it allowed a good amount of time to be able to play off other club interest. I'm fine with it, you can't begrudge him taking that money, nor us not paying it.

I think a 3 year deal with option for 4th is correct, Klopp wanted it to happen so only right we gave honoured that for him ... then again Klopp would probably want Milner Virgil Mane Salah all tied down for another 20 years if he could.

A fit Hendo is still a very important 1 to this team, his leadership is unquestionable. ..With Wijnaldum is was a different case, he was just not very good.

That opinion belongs in the bin.

There's no way to be certain, but various sources put his demands at well above £200k a week. Given how protracted the whole thing was, it allowed a good amount of time to be able to play off other club interest. I'm fine with it, you can't begrudge him taking that money, nor us not paying it.

Yea if he was looking for that much then both parties got it right

Jordan Henderson has signed a new contract with Liverpool Football Club to commit his long-term future to the Reds.

The captain put pen to paper on the deal at the AXA Training Centre on Tuesday, ensuring his 10-year spell with the club will be prolonged into the years to come.

Henderson told Liverpoolfc.com after inking the terms: “I’m obviously very honoured and proud to continue the journey I’ve already been on here.

“It’s amazing to finally get it done and just concentrate on looking forward and what the future may hold.

“I’m in a different place of course, as a player and as a person, from when I first walked in. I’ve learned and grown a lot over my time here, and I’ve got to thank a lot of people for that.

“I’ve loved every minute of it, even when I look back at the tough times, I was still enjoying being a part of this football club. The longer I can do that, the better for me really. I want to be here as long as possible, I’ve always said that.

“To continue this journey is incredible for me and my family, and I hope the fans and the club feel the same way.”

Henderson celebrated a decade as a Liverpool player earlier this summer, with June marking 10 years since he completed a transfer from Sunderland.

He has since made 394 appearances for the Reds and scored 30 goals during a tenure that has seen him collect five winner’s medals.

In 2012, Henderson was part of the Sir Kenny Dalglish side that lifted the League Cup at Wembley, before going on to hoist aloft the Premier League, Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup as club captain.

The 31-year-old has also amassed a number of personal accolades, including the 2019-20 FWA Footballer of the Year, England Senior Men’s Player of the Year 2019 and Liverpool Fans’ Player of the Season 2019-20. Earlier in 2021, Henderson was also awarded an MBE for services to football and charity, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.

He continued: “Every year is the same, every year is the biggest challenge, the biggest season ahead. I feel as hungry as ever.

“I feel as hungry as I did when I first walked in 10 years ago, to prove to people that I deserve to be at this football club and give absolutely everything every single day for the badge, for the fans and for each other in this building.

“If we do that, I feel as though we’ve got a good chance of being successful.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom