• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Injuries updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red rose

Well-Known

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/...been-said-about-9-liverpool-return-timelines/

The new season is only days away and Liverpool have nine fitness concerns throughout the squad, but what has been said about their return timelines?
Ten weeks after last season came to a close, the Reds are to be back in competitive action on Saturday as they meet Fulham in the opening game.

Alisson

A welcome return is expected in goal but there will be a number of absentees at Craven Cottage after injuries sustained throughout pre-season.
But what is the current state of play on the injury and illness front?

The Brazilian featured just once in pre-season after picking up an abdominal injury while in Asia but has been steadily ramping up his training over the last week.
The hope was that he could return against Man City in the Community Shield but the timeline shifted to the opening day.
“He will definitely be available for Fulham,” Jurgen Klopp said last week. The words we all wanted to hear.

Jota was another player who succumbed to injury while on the tour of Asia, with a reoccurrence of the hamstring issue from his time with Portugal in the summer.
Before the Community Shield clash, Klopp said his recovery would “take a while, unfortunately,” and a report on Tuesday revealed he is expected back “within two weeks.”
With pre-season fitness to catch up on, he is unlikely to feature until September.

We saw Keita in Leicester for a handful of minutes but he then missed the Strasbourg friendly the following day, and it will be a waiting game for Fulham.
“Naby is ill,” Klopp confirmed the reason for his absence on Sunday.
Having only come on as a substitute in the Community Shield and now being ill, the midfield trio looks to be Fabinho, Jordan Henderson and Thiago on Saturday.

The injury to Jones came as a surprise on Sunday and was more puzzling after he was seen walking freely into Anfield before then later spotted wearing a moon boot with crutches.
It hints at a few weeks on the sidelines, hopefully, scans provided a positive prognosis.
“Curtis, we have to see,” Klopp said on Sunday. “[There] was no impact or whatever, so that always makes it a bit, ‘My god, what could it be?’
“We had no time; he felt it today and he wanted to play desperately, but then the medical department said no and that we needed to make further tests. We will do that [Monday] and then we will know more.”
The centre-back was forced from the field in the second half against Strasbourg after feeling the effects on his knee from an earlier contest.
Klopp sounded as positive as he could after the first look.
“We don’t know exactly yet on Ibou, but it doesn’t look too concerning, so I hope we caught it in the right moment.”
Virgil van Dijk and Joel Matip are all but locked in as the starting pair at the back at Fulham.

Tsimikas featured three times in pre-season before picking up a knock in Austria, forcing him to sit out of the final three friendlies.
“He got yesterday a knock, so he cannot play [vs. Salzburg],” Klopp said at the time, with the injury described as a sore knee.
It’s not one Liverpool will want to rush but the hope will be his recovery does not need to last too much longer.

As if he had not had enough bad luck as it is, a “serious” hamstring injury struck in Asia to leave Oxlade-Chamberlain unlikely to play again before October.
“It’s a serious hamstring injury and it will take longer,” Klopp said.
“It’s a hamstring, we all hate this word, we hate the injury, but it happens from time to time and now Ox was the one.”

it is a groin injury that has kept Kelleher out of Liverpool’s entire pre-season programme.
There has been a sense of frustration at the medical staff within the Republic of Ireland setup after the issue was not flagged appropriately in the summer.
“Caoimh felt something after the international game and everybody told him, the medical department there, it’s fine, it would be good,” Klopp explained.
“After holiday he came back, first training, felt it again. We checked it and it was not

Calvin Ramsay - It has not been the ideal start for the young Scot after arriving in the summer, missing out on the trip to Asia after an injury was detected during his first day at the club.
He did travel to Austria to be with the team but his injury is one that Liverpool are eager to be patient with and the time until his return to action remains unknown.
“We found a little injury which kids – which he is still – have when they grow,” Klopp said.
“So we have to be careful with that, that’s why he didn’t train yet.”
It is a similar situation to Kaide Gordon, who has struggled with injuries since making his breakthrough with the first team last season.

Last edited:
Feels like nowadays after buying certain players, we find out that they haven't been properly trained and put them on some kind of regiment (asthma medication) and they suddenly improve. Like Robbo for instance.
So I have high hopes for Ramsey.

May be klopp will change his mind on getting a CM? If Naby does sign another contract, I would hope we ship him out in the summer next year

So we have 3 midfielders out already - Ox, Jones and Keita.

Looks like Konate will be out for at least a month if not more.

It’s Konate I’m most worried about. If Joel gets an early injury we could struggle.

Well Jurgen you know the answer from now on - don't trust a word International doctors say and get them tested by LFC as an imperative (it doesn't seem 'as early as possible' was early enough) !

“There’s no criticism, because you made a story of everything that I say but it is like this - he’s with the national team, both of them were with their national teams. There is a diagnosis, we get the diagnosis, we trust the diagnosis, that’s completely normal, but you are not in the full process all the time. The national team takes over in moments, we try to step in as early as possible.

From Klopp's pre-match (seems Naby had Covid again) :

Liverpool will also be without Diogo Jota and Caoimhin Kelleher for the trip to London as the duo continue to undergo rehabilitation programmes on injuries sustained during the summer.

However, the Reds will be without Curtis Jones, Kostas Tsimikas and Ibrahima Konate at Craven Cottage, while Naby Keita will be assessed after illness.
Klopp told his pre-match press conference: “Ali [is] fine. We hope with Curtis we caught it in the right moment, that’s just how it is with young players. They have some kind of stress reactions sometimes and then if they go over it because it’s not massive pain, it could lead to something serious.
“We caught it early but we still have to be careful. That’s it with him, so he is not in.

“Naby is ill, but I think he will be back today the first day. I underestimated it a little bit when I said he will definitely be fine. He came in yesterday and still showed some little symptoms, no COVID but it is not right. I guess he will be back today.

“Then Kostas [was] unlucky in a training situation. I saw him now, he was out on the pitch and he might be - in his opinion, anyway - ready to train next week, which is helpful. Ibou, in a challenge in the game against Strasbourg, what happened there we have to see how long it will take but he is out for a while. Oxlade [is also out], of course.”

We all love him, I love him because he is the only manager I can remember that actually changes shit and tactics after realizing something is not working. But the one thing he has not changed on is his own belief that we can just manage without the numbers despite experiencing these stresses season after season and failing at the last hurdle on more than one occasion. I am astonished he gets surprised when a serious injury happens to someone like Thiago ? - he has a cripples record for most of his career and since joining us is as almost unreliable for long periods just like Nabi, and Ox. Of course I am sure with Ox you all thinking he was fit for most of last season and just was not selected - I do wonder if he had been selected how many games he would have actually lasted until he had another 3 month lay-off ? - probably 3 games at most. Klopp's midfield options are all potential injury risky options - don't know how he sleeps at night between games and convinces himself we are OK.

Klopp is too stubborn for his own good. The obvious solution is to buy a CM. Our whole summer plan was to target a midfielder, but that got changed when we had to buy a Mane replacement. Very stupid to simply delay our plans by a whole year. Can't play a 50 game season on the back of four 30+ midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom