• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bringing in Sarr.. a deal to far ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Sorry, no fresh links. But here is a useful comparison between him and Mane:

==================
Following Watford’s final-day lost against Arsenal, the vultures will be circling over their squad looking for a bargain. According to transfermarkt.com their most valuable asset at the moment is Ismaila Sarr. So let us compare the Senegal international to his fellow countryman, Sadio Mané.

It would be unfair to compare Sadio Mané at Liverpool to Ismaila Sarr. One is playing for the current champions while the other was just relegated. Therefore, we will compare Sadio in his final season at Southampton prior to his £34 million pound move to Liverpool.
Statistical Comparison: Ismaila Sarr vs Sadio Mané

Sarr-2020-v-Mane-2016.jpg

Statistical comparison of Ismaila Sarr and Sadio Mané. Data as at Thu, 23 July 2020.
We can see here that Sadio still has superior attacking numbers to Sarr across the board. To provide some context though, this was Sarr’s first season in English football. Perhaps we need to consider time to settle into a new league and culture. Allow for some adjustment period to Premier League football.
Ismaila Sarr attacking involvement per match

Ismaila-Sarr-Time-1-1024x544.jpg

Expected Goal Involvement for Ismaila Sarr match-to-match this season. Data as at Sun, 26 July 2020.
We can see above when looking at his numbers a fairly steady and consistent improvement until we entered the lockdown. After which, Sarr took a while to get back up to speed. He did manage to find some form against Arsenal though.
We also need to account for the fact Sadio Mané was playing for a Southampton side that finished sixth in the Premier League. They also scored fifty-nine goals; 64% more than Watford’s thirty-six.
Ismaila Sarr does look an outstanding young talent though. He would certainly provide some much-needed pace from the bench for Liverpool. Could he ever achieve the heights of African Footballer of the Year Sadio Mané?
https://www.craquestats.com/2020/08/03/statistical-comparison-of-ismaila-sarr-and-sadio-mane/

==============

For me Sarr is more of a right-footed Sane than a Mane clone. Sadio played everywhere across the front 3 in his first season at Southampton; Sarr seems happy to be a wing threat/creator rather then a direct finisher. His assist stats so far over his career roughly equalled his goal tally (as did Sane's), whereas Sadio always scored considerably more than he assisted. Mane also scores a lot more overall with his 1 goal in 3 games pace at Southampton a temporary aberration from the nearly 1 in 2 clip he has consistently maintained over the rest of his career. Sane and Sarr both seem more like 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 wingers whose main value is in the threat and thrust they provide down the wing and goals are a bonus. Mane is totally unique and it's difficult compare him with any other player.

Last edited:
Right footed Sane is about right. Which is why he'd be the perfect bench player as well for the moment as he develops. City were a very dangerous side when they could bring Sane off the bench to run at tired defences. Sarr could do that for us. That'd also allow us to use Brewster centrally.

I bought Sarr on football manager a few weeks ago. Not that highly rated there, but he's done a decent job.

Right footed Sane is about right. Which is why he'd be the perfect bench player as well for the moment as he develops. City were a very dangerous side when they could bring Sane off the bench to run at tired defences. Sarr could do that for us. That'd also allow us to use Brewster centrally.

Yup, and Minamino too. I would be delighted with a back-up front 3 of Brewster, Minamino and Sarr if we can make it happen.

Sarr could be a decent signing, but it will all depend on the fee Watford will command.
They bought him for 30 mill €, which already makes it an uphill battle to negotiate.

Sarr could be a decent signing, but it will all depend on the fee Watford will command.
They bought him for 30 mill €, which already makes it an uphill battle to negotiate.

£30M. Reportedly Crystal Palace are "considering a £40M" bid for him in case they lose Zaha.

I think he'd be a great acquisition and he & Mane already have a good relationship (if anyone recalls that video of Sadio asking some of the watford lads to look after him). He would need to learn the system but he's direct, a bit unpredictable and clearly talented. Occupies the exact role we need back up for. If we could buy him for a similar fee we sell Origi for I think that would be a great outcome.

If we paid £40 mill for Ox, I can't see why we can't pay the same for Sarr.

If we paid £40 mill for Ox, I can't see why we can't pay the same for Sarr.

So pay another 40m for a bench warmer?

I'd rather get Doucoure, someone who'd offer something different in our midfield...powerhouse player, strong running...scores & creates.

Theres something not quite right for me about the Sarr/Mané comparison, like we are just looking at the obvious characteristics. Its like when Arsenal kept unearthing the next Vieira only to find that being tall French and black wasnt really the set of attributes that made him a good player.

Money in so far
£28m from last season net

This season so far
£11m

Candidates likely to be sold
Wilson 20m plus
Shaq 20m plus
Karius £3m
Another £10m for selling youth players

Players with question marks over their futures
Grujic
Wini
Salah

£90m would get you a decent LB cover and a winger like Sarr

Money in so far

This season so far
£11m

Wilson 20m plus
Shaq 20m plus
Karius £3m

Grujic
Wini
Salah

I would hope for more than those two for £90m! LB cover should really be no more than 10m - it should either be someone young who we want to grow into the role or someone experienced who can be depended on rather than someone in their price.

Sarr surely wouldn't be more than 30-40m at the top end.

Money in so far

This season so far
£11m

Wilson 20m plus
Shaq 20m plus
Karius £3m

Grujic
Wini
Salah

You are kidding yourself if you expect those prices. Wilson won’t even be about 10. Karius will leave for 25p.

Last edited:
Theres something not quite right for me about the Sarr/Mané comparison, like we are just looking at the obvious characteristics. Its like when Arsenal kept unearthing the next Vieira only to find that being tall French and black wasnt really the set of attributes that made him a good player.
Can't say I agree at all. They're very similar in terms of playing style. Both explosive, unpredictable right footed attackers with a really powerful shot.

Liverpool one of three Premier League clubs to make contact over Watford's Ismaila Sarr

By Ryan Gray @ObserverRyan

Crystal Palace could be interested in Ismaila Sarr if Wilfried Zaha moves on.

Liverpool are one of at least three Premier League clubs to show initial interest in Watford winger Ismaila Sarr, as clubs prepare to test the Hornets resolve over their record signing.

While no bid has formally been registered as of yet, the Premier League champions have made contact with the player's representatives, as have Wolverhampton Wanderers and Crystal Palace, asking about his availability.

Sarr has that "Klopp will mold him into a superstar" attribute in abundance - wide-attacker, pacy, good dribbling skills, can move past defenders from a standing position.

Nah, he's a baller. Higher ceiling than Traore or Harvey Barnes I reckon

This guy won't be cheap, but there does seem to be an exciting player in there, and he has a ready made friend and mentor in Mane. I know the club is acting like it's broke because of the effects of Covid, but we have spent fuck all in the last 3 windows. I really hope we're prepared to invest this season, because our rivals aren't standing still.

I'm not sure we need a player of his ilk. Especially when we don't use wingers and our wide threat comes from attacking full backs (which is where I see the value in the Lewis transfer). Someone who is also a goal scorer and not just a wide player, would have far more value to us. Someone with pace who could replace Mane or Salah and retain a goal threat, even if obviously reduced.

TBF though his goal scoring has been very consistent over his 4 season in France/PL : 5/5/8/5 so maybe he could up that here but that's not a given as Klopp obviously insists on everyone also committing to defensive duties, which could partly nullify his goal-scoring potential. The same also applies to Adama Traore btw - who's goalscoring record is even lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom