• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jimmy Anderson

TheFasterBlade

Has just avoided a duck for the 48th consecutive innings.

Not bad considering a fair few of those would have been as nightwatchman against fired-up attacks.

Good honest pro is Jimmy, if the conditions suit he could have a massive part to play in our ashes campaign.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33507.msg869795#msg869795 date=1242661715]
He had been out for a duck 47 straight times before yesterday..? Great player, obviously.
[/quote]

Obviously been in yankee land too long... He's got the record for the most number of consectutive innings WITHOUT getting a duck. i.e. 48 times he's scored 1 or more.

Stupid shit stat... but they've got to fill the time in somehow... I mean yesterday they were talking about the 'pretty patterns' in the grass.

[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=33507.msg869865#msg869865 date=1242666889]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33507.msg869795#msg869795 date=1242661715]
He had been out for a duck 47 straight times before yesterday..? Great player, obviously.
[/quote]

Obviously been in yankee land too long... He's got the record for the most number of consectutive innings WITHOUT getting a duck. i.e. 48 times he's scored 1 or more.

Stupid shit stat... but they've got to fill the time in somehow... I mean yesterday they were talking about the 'pretty patterns' in the grass.
[/quote]

Oh, c'mon V... You didn't really think I thought somebody mentioned in relation to the Ashes had actually been out for 0 every time for the last 47 innings, did you?

Brilliant, mate. ;D

And it is VERY pretty grass.

[quote author=TheFasterBlade link=topic=33507.msg867344#msg867344 date=1242381108]
Has just avoided a duck for the 48th consecutive innings.
[/quote]

Heh I admit that could be read either way.

As I said, if the conditions suit he can swing it a mile either way at pace. As can flintoff.

With those two firing and Broad expanding his repertoire we could see a great series.

Having said that, the conditions would also suit Mitchell Johnson who is fucking quick and can also now swing it i to the right handers.

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33507.msg870101#msg870101 date=1242680166]
Anderson is a hugely improved player.

I'm beginning to like our Ashes chances.
[/quote]

Has he improved that much, or is the quality around him not what it once was?

Anyway, I'm still not sure about your Ahses chances. They're probably being talked up due tto beating a Windies side dumbstruck by the cold, and an Australian side going through transition. Either way, the quality on show is significantly less than what it was 4 years ago. Remember that Australian side? They were brilliant, as were the players they could afford to leave out. It's what made England's victory all the more remarkable.

This year's series won't be a patch on it, and will be won by a no better than average side whomever wins it.

England's batting attack is woeful, and their bowlers could carry them through most games. That said, Australia's bowlers outside of Johnson are virtaully non-existent. Siddle's ok, Hauritz is fucking useless, and that's yer lot.

Indifference all round. Australia to win a shit one.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33507.msg870178#msg870178 date=1242693581]
[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33507.msg870101#msg870101 date=1242680166]
Anderson is a hugely improved player.

I'm beginning to like our Ashes chances.
[/quote]

Has he improved that much, or is the quality around him not what it once was?

Anyway, I'm still not sure about your Ahses chances. They're probably being talked up due tto beating a Windies side dumbstruck by the cold, and an Australian side going through transition. Either way, the quality on show is significantly less than what it was 4 years ago. Remember that Australian side? They were brilliant, as were the players they could afford to leave out. It's what made England's victory all the more remarkable.

This year's series won't be a patch on it, and will be won by a no better than average side whomever wins it.

England's batting attack is woeful, and their bowlers could carry them through most games. That said, Australia's bowlers outside of Johnson are virtaully non-existent. Siddle's ok, Hauritz is fucking useless, and that's yer lot.

Indifference all round. Australia to win a shit one.
[/quote]

The swing bowlers won it for us in 2005 and Anderson is bowling as well now as any of them did then. The openers and Bopara at 3 are all in good form and Pieterson is bound to start scoring runs again soon. We've got a bit more variation in the attack now with Broad bowling well and the option to play two quality spinners. England to win the series 3-1 with weather coming to our rescue in one match.

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=33507.msg870694#msg870694 date=1242755952]
I still think wicketkeeper is very much up for grabs.
[/quote]

Clever play on words?

I think it'll be 1-1... with a couple of the draws nail biting for each team.

Just my personal opinion like, I said before, without Freddie we will struggle to bowl them out. He's the one player they fear more than anyone in our team.

[quote author=Mr_V link=topic=33507.msg870730#msg870730 date=1242758162]

Just my personal opinion like, I said before, without Freddie we will struggle to bowl them out. He's the one player they fear more than anyone in our team.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that. Flintoff was brilliant in the 2005 series but that didn't stop the Aussies battering him in 2006/07. I think they think he's a spent force.

Back
Top Bottom